Upgrade from UM3X = Customs? (here we go again)
Apr 23, 2011 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

T78Power

New Head-Fier
oh, head-fi you continue to hurt my wallet....

So within the last 2 months I've started working on my portable gear.
I've bought a nano 6th gen which lead to TF10's which lead to a Cowon J3 which lead to a UM3X
blink.gif

Currently I've been left wondering what the upgrade path from the UM3X would be.
I don't think Universals are going to do it for me anymore.
I've given some thought to re-shelling the TF10 and UM3X through Fisher or other re-shelling services.
However, I have read that unless there's a fit issue (there is not) that SQ improvement is a hit or miss.
Does anyone have any re-shelling experience particularly SQ wise?

Also would my next step be customs? Are they that much of an improvement considering the price?

I do like the sound signature of the UM3X with the treble (11 to 13 kHz and up EQ'ed up).
I also would like more bass presence so I figured something like the JH-16, 1964-Q, or UM Merlin would be my kind of customs.
(If too much bass I can always EQ down) are there any more that would fit me?

May 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 17

Just got molded and ordered the UM56 for th UM3X that I bought Nov '09. I'm very happy with this set of IEM that sound greater than that UE pro 5. ordered in vinyl instead of silicone going with the audiologist sudgestion... I guess Silicone might be a little bit more flexible and maleable than Vinyl,  think is not of a bigger issue material wise.

Been reading on the ES5, wondering if some one moved from the UM3X + UM56 (same as the ES3X, but on a budget) to the more expensive 5 drives ES5 and how do they compare.

Has any one tried the HiFiman with any of the westone IEM? really like the new HF-602?

Cheers and thanks for any input

May 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 17
Some people say that the UM3X with Complys is actually more comfortable than the UM56 or a complete reshell. Maybe just stick with that?

Don't get me started on the law of diminishing returns... 
deadhorse.gif

May 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 17
Having owned UM3X, W3 JH5, JH13 and JH16  and a slew of others, I can safely say that JH5 was perhaps the best audio purchase I have ever made in terms of bang for buck.  It sounds better than any other universal I have owned including W4.  I believe there is a big diminishing returns beyond $400 especially with no major tweaks/upgrades in gear.  I understand the extra drivers and intricacy to make a JH16 but from an upgrade SQ standpoint it is not worth more than $550-$600 IMHO. 

May 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 17
Hi Spyro

I Own the UE SuperFi Pro 5 and UM3X., as you already know they are the same as the JH5... and Beeing said that. They have two drivers one less than the 3X that to my ear sound discrepancy and accuracy is more on the Westons.

Cheers

May 21, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Hi Spyro

I Own the UE SuperFi Pro 5 and UM3X., as you already know they are the same as the JH5... and Beeing said that. They have two drivers one less than the 3X that to my ear sound discrepancy and accuracy is more on the Westons.

Cheers

What is the same as JH5?  JH5, UM3X and Super Fi Pro all sound completely different.

May 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 17
The JH 5 and the UE SuperFi 5 are the same... UE was owned by Jerry Harvey that sold the company and started JH aka Jerry Harvey. And no I'm not going by the fact that there just two drivers, there exactly the same two drivers!

May 21, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 17
That's not new for most users here in concern to UE and JH. 

I think there's quite a oversimplification there. Perhaps it's only the same manufacture that they share and even if they are the same exact drivers, there's gotta be a huge crossover/tuning difference. 

May 21, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 17
Dear T78Power,

A couple of years ago I became interested in hifi audio as well. I purchased the UM3x because back then a lot of people found that the best universal in-ears around. After using them for a couple of months I decided I needed the UM56, because I found it annoying to replace the comply tips all the time which are quite expensive and besides that the comply tips just last for a couple of days. To be honest this was SQ wise one of the greatest improvements, the seal seems to be very important. However, I found out that there is also a downside with the UM56 for example that it can be difficult and annoying to get them in your ears and that they can become lose.

Because I found it sometimes a kind of a hassle with the UM56 I decided to move to the Westone ES5, which are just incredible rich sounding in-ears. The main differences are that they sound wider, you can make a better distinction between the instruments, the overall sound is more subtle. Besides that having custom in-ears is just very convenient, they are comfortable, very easy to put in your ears.

After I bought the ES5 I sold my UM3x to my brother which bought a pair of silicone triple-flange tips, which just suprised me with the sound quality. The seal with these triple-flange tips is just very good, what provides a very good sound quality. The downside of these tips is that they can be uncomfortable, my brother as some irritation in his right ear.

Thus, if you don't have a lot of money to spend but you want good SQ than I would go for the triple-flange tips over the UM56, not because they sound better but because I am not sure whether the UM56 are worth the €150,00 and besides that the difference regarding SQ is not very big (if it is even there). However, if you want to have the best sounding, most comforable in-ears and you don't really mind the money because it's in someway your hobby than go for custom in-ears. And to be honest when you like the sound signature of the UM3x, I am quite sure you would like the ES5 as well if not better. I found the UM3x also kind of lacking in bass (maybe it was because of my mp3 player) but the ES5 is just perfectly in balance for me. If you have any questions feel free to sent me a message.

Yours sincerely

May 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
The JH 5 and the UE SuperFi 5 are the same... UE was owned by Jerry Harvey that sold the company and started JH aka Jerry Harvey. And no I'm not going by the fact that there just two drivers, there exactly the same two drivers!

That's not true.  Super Fi Pro is a terrible fitting universal.  The UE5 was a custom fit dual driver from Ultimate Ears.  The JH5 is also a dual driver from Jery Harvey Audio but it is not the same IEM/sound.  Jerry himslf professes to have made modifications to it.  Possibly the same drivers but not tuned the same.

May 21, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 17
EX-1000.  Can't go higher than that, its the peak.  I think it could be better than any customs out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back