Upgrade from TDK BA200
Oct 27, 2013 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

h1a8

500+ Head-Fier
I love my ba200. It is very smooth and pleasant sounding and very comfortable. Sometimes I wish it had a tighter or more impactful bass. I can eq the bass up but it still isn't as tight or deep impactful as I like. Just a tad too dull hitting. And I tried the tdk ie800 but liked ba200 better.

I was thinking between the
1. um3x
2. Monster turbine pro copper
3. Sony mdr-7550 (I heard it may sound grainier but I'm not sure)
4. Sm64 (in what ways is the ba200 better?)

I'm not up to date on some of the newer iems but I'm open to suggestions. I like smooth (no grainy) and clear sound (no veil) with good impactful bass with no recessed mids or fatigue aggressive treble. Around $300 or less (ill consider used as well).

Oct 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 18
I'll trade you my MTPC's for your BA200s.  I'm looking for something a little less bassy and have been eyeing the BA200s.  

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 18
For $300, you can get the Heir Audio 3Ai. I don't think there is anything better than it, in that price range:

http://www.heiraudio.com/article_177.html

or for $250, you can get the T-Peos H-200 and for $200 - the Vsonic GR07BE or the Dunu N1000.

Check out the reviews on them. They are highly rated.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 18
Personally I don't feel like the GR07 is an upgrade from the BA200's. I think they're both about as good as one another. If I were you I would go for the UM3X. The MDR-7550 is really good too, very spacious. I think the UM3X is more of a direct upgrade (similar but better). The UM3X is much more intimate than the 7550 which is more airy and spacious, but a bit brighter and not as bassy. The MDR-7550 does have amazing bass if you can get the proper fit. If you do decide on the UM3X, check out my listing. It's the updated version as the UM3X RC but with a new connector, housing, cable, etc.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 18
In my humble opinion, it is really difficult to find a direct upgrade for the already excellent ba200. I have owned/tried iems more than twice its price and to this day all of them have failed to convince me they are any better than the TDKs. Each and everytime I was surprised how refined and smooth the ba200 sounded. I am more or less convinced that the only possible way to obtain a significant upgrade over this little gem, for me at least, is to go the custom route.

Among the earphones you mentioned, I believe only the SM64 might sound better than the ba200. This is only judging from all the reviews I have read so far. I wouldn't go for the UM3X, I never liked its overly mid bass/ lower midrange heavy signature. To me it sounds inferior to the ba200 by quite a margin. This is just my opinion though. As for the others in your list, they are all downgrades in terms of raw technical ability even though they may have the extra bass impact.

I would like to suggest the XBA 30. I own both the XBA 30 and the ba200 and I would say they are roughly on the same technical level, but to my ears it has the extra bass impact while still maintaining the same smooth treble and overall refined tonality that you are probably looking for. It also has a bit more treble presence. Overall it offers a slightly more enjoyable listening experience. 

Just my 2 cents!!  

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 18
The ba200 is overly warm. The um3x is colder. To me the BA200 has nothing on the um3x. Clarity, detail and transparency is more resolving than the BA200.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 18
I disagree with omastic here. I feel the 7550 and UM3X are upgrades over the BA200. It's definitely a great value for $130 (the price I got it for) but I don't think it's superior to the UM3X or 7550 at all. If the SM64 is better than the SM3 than the SM64 would definitely be an upgrade as well. I felt like the BA200 was more of an SM3 lite than anything, which is good but not great.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 18
  I disagree with omastic here. I feel the 7550 and UM3X are upgrades over the BA200. It's definitely a great value for $130 (the price I got it for) but I don't think it's superior to the UM3X or 7550 at all. If the SM64 is better than the SM3 than the SM64 would definitely be an upgrade as well. I felt like the BA200 was more of an SM3 lite than anything, which is good but not great.

The ba200 is overly warm. The um3x is colder. To me the BA200 has nothing on the um3x. Clarity, detail and transparency is more resolving than the BA200.

The ba200 pretty much hits the nail on the head in terms of my preferred sound signature. May be that is the reason why nothing else can impress me at the moment! I really should try the UM3X and 7550 again whenever I have the opportunity. For the brief moments that I have tried the UM3X it just did not seem to do anything better than the ba200 for me. Ofcourse, we all hear differently. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 18
Of course. Sound preference is more important than technical ability imo, but I feel like the UM3X is more technically proficient. Either way, we both agree that the BA200 is very good :)

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 18
H1a8,

Never heard the TDK. Along with the SM64 (which I love) I currently have the Westone W2 & W4, TF10, and Brainwavz B2. Let me know if a comparison to any of those would help you understand the SM64. Or any questions about it.

Nov 26, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 18
I have owned the UM3X before. Unfortunately, one of the drivers broke and since I live in the Philippines, it's rather hard to get the warranty. Eventually, I had to buy a new pair but decided to go for the TDK BA200. The main differences in the sound would be that the UM3X has slightly less bass, more forward mids, more accurate highs and much better separation. Don't get me wrong, the BA200 are great, and they do sound quite similar. However, comparing it to UM3X(and i'm being critical here), the westones win. As for your preference with the bass, I wouldn't recommend the UM3X so if the lower end is your priority, you can cross that off your list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back