Upgrade from Sennheiser Momentum
Sep 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Headxoxote

New Head-Fier
Hello there, i need help on choosing my next headphone since i'm gonna sell my Momentums, which i didn't like and don't think are an "audiophile" hp at all. I listen to Rock, Metal, and occasionally Eletro music. I Would like a headphone with good detail and soundstage and with strong bass if possible, and comfortable as i wear it a lot. I don't have much experience with high end headphones so that's why i'm asking your help guys, thanks.

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 19
What did you not like about the Momentum and are you going to be using the replacements at home or out and about? What is your budget

I am probably not the best person to answer this as I have just changed my portable headphones to Momentums as I finf them the best closed back that I could find. They are not as good as my HD650, but not too far away.

If you are happy with open-backed phones, a lot will better the Momentum, but closed alternatives may be more difficult to find.

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 19
The Momentums are pretty much the best closed back headphones out there without going reference, that's why Sennheiser markets them as their "Orpheus" line, each one of their premiere headphones gets that classification. The only possible thing I could say are those new closed Audeze that are coming out or maybe downgrade to the K550...maybe a Fostex or Beyer set instead? They really are about...it. I think everything else is gonna be semi or mostly open.

The Momentums are nearly a perfect closed headphone, I think you're crazy. Especially because those 3 genres are what I use them for, as well.

Try an amp. The Momentums really sound best with an amplifier.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 19
The momentums are incredible. The only closed headphone that best them in the price point in every single way I have tried are the Mrspeakers Mad dog 3.0-3.2

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 19
The Momentums are pretty much the best closed back headphones out there without going reference, that's why Sennheiser markets them as their "Orpheus" line, each one of their premiere headphones gets that classification. The only possible thing I could say are those new closed Audeze that are coming out or maybe downgrade to the K550...maybe a Fostex or Beyer set instead? They really are about...it. I think everything else is gonna be semi or mostly open.

The Momentums are nearly a perfect closed headphone, I think you're crazy. Especially because those 3 genres are what I use them for, as well.

X2

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 19
I use the Momentums with the Asus Xonar Essence STX and i agree that it's good for eletro because of the bass and the more "in your face" sound but that's about it. I just think they're overrated and overpriced. In comparison to $150 Hp's it's not that good, the soundstage is tiny and not worth the money difference. I think i'm gonna keep it as my portable and start saving for something like Fostex TH 900 or Beyerdynamic T1 or even wait for the closed Audezes... thanks anyway guys.

Oct 1, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #8 of 19
Have you tried Audiotechnica ATH-WS55. They leave Momentums (on the Bass front) for dead , they are portable, easy to drive and fraction of the Momentums price. Comfort wise, very light, although they can't match Mom's build quality and pads. Sound wise, to me they sound far richer them Mom's, However, they can sometimes be a bit harsh with heavy staff like grunge and hard rock. But unlike Mom's that I found uninspiring and definitely overpriced ATH - WS55 will "put a smile on your face". I have to admit though that pairing Momentums with Ibasso DX 50 is like entering another dimension in sound and in my experience only Aurvana Live 2 can better that . So, ATH WS55 sound amazing with Cowon players that have "digital" sound signature, but when you listen something like Ibasso DX50 that sounds more "analogue" then Momentum , together with CAL2 rules.

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 19

I don't find the Momentums "near" perfect at all. Uncomfortable, Ok bass, bit of a suckout in upper mids, etc. At the price point I'd prefer their "on-ears" counterpart, V-Moda M100s, KEF M500s, Yamaha HPH-MT220, etc. Are the Momentums good? Yes they are, but "near perfect" is too strong of a description and recommended way too often...

Upgrades from the Momentum:

Ultrasone Signature Pro
Ultrasone Signature DJ
Denon D5000 LA modded
Denon D7000
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs
Fostex TH600/900

+ some others which will depend on the signature you like...

Good luck!

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #11 of 19
Iike my beyerdynamic DT770 and Denon D2000 better than the momentum. Both are more side grades though. The momentum are really good but their congested sound lets them down a lot for me.

Oct 8, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 19

I don't find the Momentums "near" perfect at all. Uncomfortable, Ok bass, bit of a suckout in upper mids, etc. At the price point I'd prefer their "on-ears" counterpart, V-Moda M100s, KEF M500s, Yamaha HPH-MT220, etc. Are the Momentums good? Yes they are, but "near perfect" is too strong of a description and recommended way too often...

Upgrades from the Momentum:

Ultrasone Signature Pro
Ultrasone Signature DJ
Denon D5000 LA modded
Denon D7000
MrSpeakers Mad Dogs
Fostex TH600/900

+ some others which will depend on the signature you like...

Good luck!

Gotta agree with this.

If you're ready to spend, go with Ultrasone or else go with the KEF m500.

If you're not using them as your portable set, then the other ones are good too.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #13 of 19
You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you do not consider the ATH-ES10 and ATH-ES700 - the former having the stronger bass and greater refinement but the latter are amazing value with subjectively "better" mid performance. Two phones that get overlooked way too much IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back