Upgrade from SE535 Bronze to SE535LTD or SE846?
Jul 7, 2013 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

s0ny

100+ Head-Fier
The SE535 is a great IEM, especially the mids. I'd like to have more bass and highs. The SE535 have rolled-off highs.

The options at the moment are SE535 Special Edition or the SE846. I read the entire SE846 thread. The initial impressions reported that the SE846 didn't have as much bass as they promised with the True Subwoofer. It also appeared to have a lack of instrument separation. The entire sound image seems to be 1 blob.

I'm willing to go for the expensive SE846 if it truly delivers what it promises, but I'm concerned about the issues that have been reported so far. The SE535LD seems to be a SE535 with the addition of highs and lows, which the regular SE535 lacks.

Should I choose the SE846 or go safe and buy the SE535LTD Red ones? I know there are "better" IEM's for the price of SE535LTD, but in the reviews of those alternatives, I always read that they are very neutral. I like the forward mids of the SE535.

My last option is to go custom and get Ultimate Ears, but I'm not sure if the sound quality is drastically better than the SE535. I'm already satisfied with the fit of the SE535.

Jul 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:
The SE535 is a great IEM, especially the mids. I'd like to have more bass and highs. The SE535 have rolled-off highs.

The options at the moment are SE535 Special Edition or the SE846. I read the entire SE846 thread. The initial impressions reported that the SE846 didn't have as much bass as they promised with the True Subwoofer. It also appeared to have a lack of instrument separation. The entire sound image seems to be 1 blob.

I'm willing to go for the expensive SE846 if it truly delivers what it promises, but I'm concerned about the issues that have been reported so far. The SE535LD seems to be a SE535 with the addition of highs and lows, which the regular SE535 lacks.

Should I choose the SE846 or go safe and buy the SE535LTD Red ones? I know there are "better" IEM's for the price of SE535LTD, but in the reviews of those alternatives, I always read that they are very neutral. I like the forward mids of the SE535.

My last option is to go custom and get Ultimate Ears, but I'm not sure if the sound quality is drastically better than the SE535. I'm already satisfied with the fit of the SE535.

technically you could switch out the acoustic dampners to gain the sound of the se535ltdj. 

obviously the 846 would be a complete upgrade.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the advice. I read the relevant threads about the mod and it sounds interesting. It was very tempting to do. I ordered the SE535LTD though, because I found it for a very good price. It was $77 cheaper than my bronze. I think the bronze looks nicer than the red ones. I'll compare the two IEM's. If the reds sound more or less the same, I'll sell them and keep the bronze. If the the difference is really worth it, I'll sell the bronze.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 19
If you want a complete upgrade, maybe you should get the SE846 but there are many IEMs that are in the middle like the W4 etc. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #5 of 19
If you were willing to splash that much on a se846, instead of getting back the same se535 series i'd recommend you use the money instead on customs.
I've tried the se535ltd before, and compared to customs like V6, it totally blows the se535 away in all areas and aspects. They are on a different level and league compared to the se535s..

Jul 17, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 19
My SE535LTD-J arrived. I'm very pleased with the performance. Even though I like the bronze a lot, it always seemed to have a weird void in the highs, as if that area was dampened. With the reds, that area opened. The sound image sounds more complete.

nPTuhP6.jpg

Head-Fi'ers mentioned that the only difference is the dampeners. I was kind of worried to break the nozzles, so I took the safe approach by purchasing the reds. I noticed that all olive tips of the reds have ear wax filters which is nice.

lon0003, I considered the W4 before I bought the bronze but I didn't want neutral sound. I prefer mids. Levanter, I may buy customs later. I'll have to think of it because of the price tag.

Thanks for your opinions, guys.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 19
Thanks for the advice. I read the relevant threads about the mod and it sounds interesting. It was very tempting to do. I ordered the SE535LTD though, because I found it for a very good price. It was $77 cheaper than my bronze. I think the bronze looks nicer than the red ones. I'll compare the two IEM's. If the reds sound more or less the same, I'll sell them and keep the bronze. If the the difference is really worth it, I'll sell the bronze.

$77 cheaper!? That's a WOW!

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #13 of 19

Did you even audit the sound of se846? The sound is spectacular! the bass is visceral comparing to my se535ltd! yes i still am the owner of the red earbuds. remember one thing, se846 is a 1000 dollar iem, se535 is 500 bucks or less. 

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 19
Did you even audit the sound of se846? The sound is spectacular! the bass is visceral comparing to my se535ltd! yes i still am the owner of the red earbuds. remember one thing, se846 is a 1000 dollar iem, se535 is 500 bucks or less. 

The SE535LTD-J is absolutely great and I still enjoy it every day. I was able to negotiate discount for the SE846 and went for it. I don't know yet if I'll sell the SE535LTD-J. I might keep both. If the SE846 is too fat to use during a sleep, my SE535LTD-J will be my night IEMs. They fit comfortably while having an ear on a pillow.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #15 of 19
I'm currently trying to decide whether or not to go with the 535LTD or just go all out and get the 846. Did you reach a final verdict on how much of an increase in performance there is between the 535ltd and the 846?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back