Upgrade from Hippo VB!
Jan 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MegaMind

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, i've been using hippo vb for a few months now with my ipod nano & i just love the way it rumbles. But i find the highs to be a bit shrill at high volumes,, 

I'm planning on an upgrade to the hippo vb. I can spend around ~$150, i need the bass similar to hippo VB with wider soundstage, better highs & instrument seperation.. 

Kindly help me out in finding the right IEM for my ears.. 

Sound source to be used : Iphone 4s.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 13
I have not owned or listened any other bassy IEM priced around 150$ except EPH-100. And honestly I'm not sure if EPH-100 is actually as bassy as VB. Maybe Monster Turbines or Atrios will satisfy you.

I'd advise you to demo all the IEMs though; there's always a chance that you'll be disappointed if you just buy w/o demoing first. I also find that bassheads seems to have this tendency of getting disappointed when they step up and buy higher-end bassy IEM than what they previously owned :/

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 13
I had the VB and EPH-100 and the EPH-100 is a much better sounding IEM.  The VB has more bass of course but I think the EPH-100 has plenty of punch and good depth along with much better detail and clarity.  They both have above average soundstage width but the EPH-100 is better with depth and separation and imaging.  All in all its a better IEM and is one of my favorite dynamic driver IEM's.

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Hello guys, i've been using hippo vb for a few months now with my ipod nano & i just love the way it rumbles. But i find the highs to be a bit shrill at high volumes,, 

I'm planning on an upgrade to the hippo vb. I can spend around ~$150, i need the bass similar to hippo VB with wider soundstage, better highs & instrument seperation.. 

JVC HA-FXZ100

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 13
Yes, EPH-100, won't be as much bass quantity but your ears will love you for the better quality bass. Great instrument separation too. Pretty much everything Techno Kid said is how I'd describe them. You'll be in a whole other world compared to Hippo VB.

JVC HA-FXZ100

That's not a bad idea either, I haven't heard them though.

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 13

I've had both the old and new versions of the Hippo VB before and was really amazed at the sub bass it can produce. I understand the shrill you're talking about especially it's treble can be quite sharp in certain tracks. The VB given it's sheer amount of bass can produce a pretty wide soundstage is somewhat impressive.

I had an upgrade after 1 year of usage with the VB and decided on the TF10 as my first upgrade into the entry level of the audiophile IEMS. Coming from a bassy IEM, definitely the bass of TF10 cannot match that of the VB. But I do find that I actually enjoyed the bass of TF10 more as it is much more controlled, textured and it does have the "rumble" as well. Clarity was much improved and the soundstage is wider as well. Instrument separation is good and sounds very lush and emphasized on; though can't match that of the UM3X. Highs are well captured too. The V shape sound of TF10 definitely brings back memories of the VB and a huge upgrade.

You can also save up for a Lune cable and match it with the TF10 bringing it to another level improving the SQ by quite a margin. IMO, you can try out the TF10 as a jump from the VB. It fits your budget as well. After the TF10 you'll definitely be craving for more wonders of the IEM realm. :)

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #11 of 13
TF10 reviews are very appealing.. But costs >$200 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back