Upgrade from HD598+Fiio E10 ($600~$700 Budget)
Jul 31, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #17 of 26
I don't think so, I thought it was a perfect fit for good classical recordings. Strings might not sound so exciting at first, but a bit of a darker sound(very slightly) only makes it easier to
1. Listen at higher volumes
2. Listen to longer
3. Listen to background music
I really find value in being able to listen to music and still focus on work. If you work or do hw with headphones on, a bright headphone will definitely distract you too much

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #18 of 26
I don't feel that any of those worries apply to my HD600, and while they might have some slight differences, the 600 and 650 are going to sound a lot more alike than a completely different model from Beyerdynamic, AKG, etc.

So no, I don't think that the 650 will be too dark for classical recordings.

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #19 of 26
About AMP/DAC: How does the NFB-15 compare to the O2/ODAC or Magni/Modi?

Now that the HD650 is cheaper than the HD600 it's really hard to decide. I feel that would enjoy the HD600 more, but then again that's just an opinion based on other people's opinions.

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #21 of 26
The NFB-15 has the features of the Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber with multiple digital inputs, line and pre-amp outputs.

Have you tried the NFB-15? How does it compare to your NFB-11?

Some people say the NFB-15's warmth pairs well with the HD600. Although I don't know if it will color the sound too much. Also people say that the DAC chip in the NFB-11 is better. Is the NFB-11 worth the $75 extra over the NFB-15.

Oh one more thing did you get the TCXO upgrade? Should I get it?

Jul 31, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #22 of 26
Have you tried the NFB-15? How does it compare to your NFB-11?

Some people say the NFB-15's warmth pairs well with the HD600. Although I don't know if it will color the sound too much. Also people say that the DAC chip in the NFB-11 is better. Is the NFB-11 worth the $75 extra over the NFB-15.

Oh one more thing did you get the TCXO upgrade? Should I get it?

No. I ended up getting the NFB-11 for the slightly better DAC. Apparently that's the only difference. Is it worth the extra money? It was to me.

Yes. I got the TCXO upgrade because I could afford it and so as to avoid buyer's remorse that I didn't. Although not convinced it necessarily makes a difference.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #23 of 26
  Hello coleagues from Headfi!

I am looking into upgrading my current setup which is a Sennheiser HD598 plugged into an older Fiio E10 (the one without the line out). My budget is $600-700 for both the heaphone and the dac/amp.

I quite enjoy the sound of the HD 598, but I feel that I would like a but more detail to listen to Classical and Jazz. I still want a versatile headphone to listen do other genres and I prefer a close to neutral heaphone with just a little bit of warmth and it needs to be comfortable since I plan on using these for long listening periods (while I finish my Master Thesis).

So I looked into:

HD600
HD650
DT 880
Fidelio X2
AKG 702

And also for the amps (which I lack knowledge about to make a good decision):

O2/ODAC combo (Jds Labs? Or another alternative?)
Magni/Modi 2 Uber (Should I get both uber or not?)
NFB-11 (How much is it costing? Is it a lot better than the two above? How long to receive it once ordered?)

I can't at the moment go for the DIY alternatives.

Well that's it. I would really appreciate some input from people who own (or have tested) more than one of them. Also do you guys have any other suggestions?

HD600 i think it can be a direct evolution of the 598 as neutral headphone.

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 26

Yeah, I was leaning toward the Schiit stack because the ubers have better specs than the O2/ODAC. Also the DAC Chip in the Modi 2 seems to be better than the one in the ODAC (I might be wrong, but it can output 24/192 so no resampling on some files).
So I was thinking about buying the HD600 now and the AMP/DAC three months from now since I'll be going to the US.
Are tubes amps better than solid state for the HD600, don't they color the sound too much?

Audio CDs are 16-bit/44.1K and any music ripped (to a mp3 or FLAC) from a audio CD, will not usually benefit from being recorded any higher the 16-bit/44.1K.
Modern Blu-ray seem to come with 16-bit/48K audio tracks
So you really have almost no need for a DAC that can do 192K or even 96K, unless you go out of your away to buy 96K or 192K music audio files.

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #25 of 26

Audio CDs are 16-bit/44.1K and any music ripped (to a mp3 or FLAC) from a audio CD, will not usually benefit from being recorded any higher the 16-bit/44.1K.
Modern Blu-ray seem to come with 16-bit/48K audio tracks
So you really have almost no need for a DAC that can do 192K or even 96K, unless you go out of your away to buy 96K or 192K music audio files.

Yeah I understand, but the audio-gd equipment also has a lot of versatility with output for speakers and the amps are not bad either. I see on your signature that you use the NFB-15.32, did you get it instead of the NFB-11 just because it was cheaper?

I have gotten some music from qobuz (i hope I can mention them here) and linnrecords in higher resolution. And I also want to buy the Deutsche Gramophon Beethoven Symphony No. 5 with WPO/Kleiber SACD.

Now I am really on the fence between NFB-15 and NFB-11.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #26 of 26
  Yeah I understand, but the audio-gd equipment also has a lot of versatility with output for speakers and the amps are not bad either. I see on your signature that you use the NFB-15.32, did you get it instead of the NFB-11 just because it was cheaper?
I have gotten some music from qobuz (i hope I can mention them here) and linnrecords in higher resolution. And I also want to buy the Deutsche Gramophon Beethoven Symphony No. 5 with WPO/Kleiber SACD.
Now I am really on the fence between NFB-15 and NFB-11.

Yea, one of the reasons I bought the NFB-15.32, over the NFB-11, was price.
The NFB-15 is considered a little more music, the NFB-11 a little more detailed.
Just heard the NFB-15 might be disconnected, guess Audio-GD will stop using the Wolfson DAC chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back