Upgrade from HD598+Fiio E10 ($600~$700 Budget)
Jul 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

brunoyujikc

New Head-Fier
Hello coleagues from Headfi!

I am looking into upgrading my current setup which is a Sennheiser HD598 plugged into an older Fiio E10 (the one without the line out). My budget is $600-700 for both the heaphone and the dac/amp.

I quite enjoy the sound of the HD 598, but I feel that I would like a but more detail to listen to Classical and Jazz. I still want a versatile headphone to listen do other genres and I prefer a close to neutral heaphone with just a little bit of warmth and it needs to be comfortable since I plan on using these for long listening periods (while I finish my Master Thesis).

So I looked into:

HD600
HD650
DT 880
Fidelio X2
AKG 702

And also for the amps (which I lack knowledge about to make a good decision):

O2/ODAC combo (Jds Labs? Or another alternative?)
Magni/Modi 2 Uber (Should I get both uber or not?)
NFB-11 (How much is it costing? Is it a lot better than the two above? How long to receive it once ordered?)

I can't at the moment go for the DIY alternatives.

Well that's it. I would really appreciate some input from people who own (or have tested) more than one of them. Also do you guys have any other suggestions?

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 26
If you can find the hd650 for around 300 usd, definitely the 650. For an amp, you should check out the hd650 appreciation thread, but they generally work well with OTL tube amps like my friends darkvoice and 650 pairing. I honestly can't tell too much difference between quality dacs, so I guess someone else needs to jump in on that, but the dacs you listed seem to be well regarded.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 26
I only had a short time with the HD650, but it sounded very similar to the HD600. Looking at the numbers, the HD650 would be a little warmer and a bit more efficient. The HD600 is just a solidly neutral can. It is my favorite out of everything I own.

For the Schiit amps, buy on features. I use the preamp outs on my Magni 2 Uber for speakers, and the Modi 2 Uber includes all the inputs you should need. But if you just need a plain amp an USB, a "vanilla" M2/M2 stack will take care of you.

Oh, and my Magni 1 and Magni 2 Uber do sound good with my HD600. I prefer my Valhalla, but I usually use the M2U for convenience.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 26
I would disregard the dt880 and k702 bc they are the polar opposites of warm. I did not really enjoy the fairly grainy highs of the dt880 in stereo exchange nor the diffuse sound of my previously owned(and returned) q702. I am now the happy owner of alpha dogs. who knows, maybe you'll like some orthos like the he400 or even the mad dog(i like the he400 better). If you can stretch, I feel like an lcd 2 used would be a perfect fit for you, but it would be quite the stretch considering the amping requirements. If you can, you really should audition some of the headphones in your price range, but if not, then just buy the few headphones and amps you narrowed down to from amazon and keep the pairing that you like best. Definitely check out the planar magnetics, though. I fell in love with them.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 26
If you can find a gently used pair, K7XX. Learn more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/the-akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-thread. There are several posters in the thread who have compared it to the HD598.

NFB-11 is a great DAC/amp. For less money, you could also go with the NFB-15 (same pre-amp/headphone amp, different DAC). Usually seems to take people about a week or so to get theirs once ordered.

Jul 30, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 26
I am looking into upgrading my current setup which is a Sennheiser HD598 plugged into an older Fiio E10 (the one without the line out). My budget is $600-700 for both the headphone and the dac/amp. I quite enjoy the sound of the HD 598, but I feel that I would like a but more detail to listen to Classical and Jazz. I still want a versatile headphone to listen do other genres and I prefer a close to neutral headphone with just a little bit of warmth and it needs to be comfortable since I plan on using these for long listening periods (while I finish my Master Thesis).
So I looked into:
HD600 HD650 DT 880 Fidelio X2 AKG 702
And also for the amps (which I lack knowledge about to make a good decision):
O2/ODAC combo (Jds Labs? Or another alternative?)
Magni/Modi 2 Uber (Should I get both uber or not?)
NFB-11 (How much is it costing? Is it a lot better than the two above? How long to receive it once ordered?)
I can't at the moment go for the DIY alternatives.
Well that's it. I would really appreciate some input from people who own (or have tested) more than one of them. Also do you guys have any other suggestions?

Better to spend more for you headphones, then your DAC/amp (at least most of the time).

Audio Technica ATH-W1000X, new $500-$600
Schiit Fulla, $89

I own about 20 headphones, the ATH-W1000X are my preferred music headphones and they do well at all other types of audio.

Here are some used ATH-W1000X headphones, seller claims they are in mint condition.
Current bid is $225 ($20 for shipping).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361349863062?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Nice part is that they will work well without an external DAC/amp, but should work better with a DAC/amp

Schiit Fulla, $89
http://schiit.com/products/fulla

Here is a used stack of Schiit (Modi/Magni), current bid is $53.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291526734401?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 26
  If you can find the hd650 for around 300 usd, definitely the 650. For an amp, you should check out the hd650 appreciation thread, but they generally work well with OTL tube amps like my friends darkvoice and 650 pairing. I honestly can't tell too much difference between quality dacs, so I guess someone else needs to jump in on that, but the dacs you listed seem to be well regarded.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread

I am buying them in Japan and they run for the same price as the HD600 (around $360-370). I spent sometime looking at their appreciation thread but I am worried OTL tube amps might not pair well with my other heaphones (HD598, HP150, Vsonic GR07) and color the sound too much. I want some warmth but I still prefer them to sound more neutral than warm.
And the problem with going with tube amps is that it will likely blow my budget since they are generally more expensive and I still want a DAC as well.

Also did Sennheiser lower the price for the HD650 because they are less popular than the HD600?

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 26
I only had a short time with the HD650, but it sounded very similar to the HD600. Looking at the numbers, the HD650 would be a little warmer and a bit more efficient. The HD600 is just a solidly neutral can. It is my favorite out of everything I own.

For the Schiit amps, buy on features. I use the preamp outs on my Magni 2 Uber for speakers, and the Modi 2 Uber includes all the inputs you should need. But if you just need a plain amp an USB, a "vanilla" M2/M2 stack will take care of you.

Oh, and my Magni 1 and Magni 2 Uber do sound good with my HD600. I prefer my Valhalla, but I usually use the M2U for convenience.

Yeah, I was leaning toward the Schiit stack because the ubers have better specs than the O2/ODAC. Also the DAC Chip in the Modi 2 seems to be better than the one in the ODAC (I might be wrong, but it can output 24/192 so no resampling on some files).
So I was thinking about buying the HD600 now and the AMP/DAC three months from now since I'll be going to the US.
Are tubes amps better than solid state for the HD600, don't they color the sound too much?

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 26
  I would disregard the dt880 and k702 bc they are the polar opposites of warm. I did not really enjoy the fairly grainy highs of the dt880 in stereo exchange nor the diffuse sound of my previously owned(and returned) q702. I am now the happy owner of alpha dogs. who knows, maybe you'll like some orthos like the he400 or even the mad dog(i like the he400 better). If you can stretch, I feel like an lcd 2 used would be a perfect fit for you, but it would be quite the stretch considering the amping requirements. If you can, you really should audition some of the headphones in your price range, but if not, then just buy the few headphones and amps you narrowed down to from amazon and keep the pairing that you like best. Definitely check out the planar magnetics, though. I fell in love with them.

I gave some thought to orthos but aren't they too heavy? Also there are a few complaints about the HE-400 regarding comfort. I'll see if I can audition them somewhere since I've never tried planar magnetic drivers. On the dt880 and k702 that's what I was afraid, that they would be a bit harsh or overdetailed for some kinds of music.

Man I love/hate this hobby, so many choices, but never enough money.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 26

I gave some thought to orthos but aren't they too heavy? Also there are a few complaints about the HE-400 regarding comfort. I'll see if I can audition them somewhere since I've never tried planar magnetic drivers. On the dt880 and k702 that's what I was afraid, that they would be a bit harsh or overdetailed for some kinds of music.

Man I love/hate this hobby, so many choices, but never enough money.

I fell in love with planars with a measly t50rp, YMMV, but damn are planars sweet. Havent tried an estat and I'm sure musicalchemist will be here within the hour to recommend a pair of sr 207s. GL, and also do try to audition these choices as your ears are the final verdict.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 26

Yeah, I was leaning toward the Schiit stack because the ubers have better specs than the O2/ODAC. Also the DAC Chip in the Modi 2 seems to be better than the one in the ODAC (I might be wrong, but it can output 24/192 so no resampling on some files).
So I was thinking about buying the HD600 now and the AMP/DAC three months from now since I'll be going to the US.
Are tubes amps better than solid state for the HD600, don't they color the sound too much?

Tube amps are a tough concept, but the sound can be changed depending on the tubes used(some will distort more than others) and you might be best off going with a hybrid amp because I feel like solid state on an hd600 might not be musical enough, depending on the amp used. But with the current gear that you mentioned, the only amp off the top of my head that will run the vsonics cleanly, as in low background, is the o2. I haven't tried it, but the output impedance is mad low, so there shouldn't be hiss on low gain with in ears. I don't know how it would change the sound, but you could ask brian at btgaudio to make you an adapter with an inline 500ohm resistor. Someone correct me if I am misinformed, but it should allow low impedence, high sensitivity headphones to work better with high power tube amps. I've been looking to do something like that with an emotiva speaker amp. It is your decision in the end, but if you are treble sensitive or prefer a smoother sound, then tubes are the way to go.

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #12 of 26
Planars (or orthos) are generally heavier, but they're going through a renaissance right now, and one of the results is a lighter design.

On the tube amp question, Valhalla is still a fairly neutral amp to my ears, but yes, tubes can color the sound. That's perfectly fine if that's what you want. If you're not sure, solid state is a safer choice because you don't have to worry about replacing tubes.

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 26
If you can find a gently used pair, K7XX. Learn more here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/the-akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-thread. There are several posters in the thread who have compared it to the HD598.

NFB-11 is a great DAC/amp. For less money, you could also go with the NFB-15 (same pre-amp/headphone amp, different DAC). Usually seems to take people about a week or so to get theirs once ordered.

K7XX seem hard to find. And are they versatile for every style of music?

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #14 of 26

Better to spend more for you headphones, then your DAC/amp (at least most of the time).

Audio Technica ATH-W1000X, new $500-$600
Schiit Fulla, $89

I own about 20 headphones, the ATH-W1000X are my preferred music headphones and they do well at all other types of audio.

Here are some used ATH-W1000X headphones, seller claims they are in mint condition.
Current bid is $225 ($20 for shipping).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/361349863062?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Nice part is that they will work well without an external DAC/amp, but should work better with a DAC/amp

Schiit Fulla, $89
http://schiit.com/products/fulla

Here is a used stack of Schiit (Modi/Magni), current bid is $53.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291526734401?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The ATH-W1000X are closed back, how is the soundstage with them? Also that auction has finished before I even looked ;(
AT are usually cheaper in Japan I might look into them. But I have the HP150 as my closed back headphones, I was hoping to get open cans, but if the soundstage in these is good and it's not too bass heavy I might change my mind. Thanks

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #15 of 26
K7XX seem hard to find. And are they versatile for every style of music?

See that thread I linked above. It's special edition headphone only available through Massdrop or, if you get lucky, a used one in good condition on here or Ebay.

I think it's a well-balanced headphone good for every genre :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back