Upgrade from Fiio E3 for RE2
Sep 3, 2008 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fuzzylogic76

Head-Fier
I've been really enjoying the Fiio E3 and RE2 combination for the last week or so, but I feel that I'm really to upgrade my amp.

Any suggestion for a portable amp with similar sound signature as the Fiio? I basically would like an amp with a slight bass boost, and the smaller the better.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 11
You're pretty much stuck if you're after a similar sized amp to the fiio. The only thing close is a xin supermicro, and that is a different beast entirely, everything is opened up, bass, mids and trebles. All the very best in finding yourself one of those.

If you like the fiio just stick with it. I can't think of anything similar which is around the same size. Otherwise try a cmoy packed into a small tin- i have seen some advertised on ebay which are fitted in an eclipse mint tin, much smaller than the usual altoids tin. As for performance of the eclipse cmoy, i have no idea.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Great question - was wondering about amps for RE2 myself.

I really like their sound overall, but a bit thin out of my clip, even with comply tips.

Have been kicking around the idea of a Fiio or maybe the new Head Direct minibox F?

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the fiio just stick with it. I can't think of anything similar which is around the same size.

E3 has a particularly good synergy with RE2, but there is another small amp of the same size.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/imp...iio-e3-298731/

For what I know, bigger amp that do come with bass boost are Practical Device XM4 / XM5, and Go-Vibe Magnum

Sep 4, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 11
The eclipse cmoy might do the trick, as nicky pointed out. Check the ebayers shop, because he sells loads of them with different opamps, which no doubt affect the sound signature. You may need to consult with an opamp expert though if you're looking for a specific signature (like bass boost).

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 11
After a quick look through the forums, I think a Penguin Caffeine Amp is what I'm looking for. Not too expensive, decent build, decent SQ, and a bass boost.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 11
Hehe I tested my new caffeine with my IEMs last night just for fun at work last night and I might have to keep using it now. It sounded pretty bad before the amp had some time to burn in, but last night it was really good.
smily_headphones1.gif
Mine are Skullcandy FMJ 11mm though so I probably shouldn't have bothered posting.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The eclipse cmoy might do the trick, as nicky pointed out. Check the ebayers shop, because he sells loads of them with different opamps, which no doubt affect the sound signature. You may need to consult with an opamp expert though if you're looking for a specific signature (like bass boost).

Those look very interesting. I wonder what they sound like.

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks _very_ cool. I wander if it has a gain switch inside or something. My last experience with a CMoy (Penguin amp) was not that good. With the HD555 from a line out I could not get the volume past 1/10, otherwise my ears would have exploded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back