Upgrade from Ety ER-4P?
Jan 25, 2012 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

mhcarlos

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

My ER-4P's have given out. I loved them -- they were my second pair (and when I bought my first pair around 2004 or 2005, there wasn't much competition back then). However, as I'm going to replace them, I want to upgrade now and my only requirements are:

1. At least as much detail, sound separation and transparency as the ER-4P/4S but also an upgrade in general (I listen to classical music a lot).
2. As good or close to the isolation of the Etys
3. At least as comfortable as the Etys
4. Universal, not custom.

Aside from the Etys, I really like my AKG K701s (but can't really commute with those). Thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Marvin

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 43
The RE272, Sony EX1000(isolation is above average but not close to Etymotic ER4P/S level and they sound amazingly detailed in mids, highs with good punchy bass and offers wide soundstage), ATH_CK100Pro, PFE232, W4R are good upgrade over ER4P/S.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 43

Quote:
I don't have too much experience with other IEMs, only having tried 2 non-Etymotic models, but it's my understanding that it's going to be difficult to find isolation as good as Etymotic without going custom.

Thanks jhoff80. I guess isolation is not that big a deal as I used foamies and over-time, isolation decreases with those and they still have enough isolation for my subway commute. I want something I can wear comfortably on long plane fights though. :)

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 43

Quote:
The RE272, Sony EX1000(isolation is above average but not close to Etymotic ER4P/S level and they sound amazingly detailed in mids, highs with good punchy bass and offers wide soundstage), ATH_CK100Pro, PFE232, W4R are good upgrade over ER4P/S.

Thanks ZARIM! I'll check all those out...

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #8 of 43
Wile W4 is a really good IEM on its own, I don't think it can be considered as a direct upgrade over ER4P. Sound signature wise, it is not even in the same ballpark as ER4.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #9 of 43

Quote:
Wile W4 is a really good IEM on its own, I don't think it can be considered as a direct upgrade over ER4P. Sound signature wise, it is not even in the same ballpark as ER4.

Really? The price is twice or thrice the ER4's...

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 43

Quote:
Really? The price is twice or thrice the ER4's...

There are plenty of IEM that are price over twice as much as an ER4. It doesn't they are all direct upgrade for it. 'Direct' is the key word here - while I do consider W4 to be better sounding, it doesn't sound like a 'better ER4'. It sounds like a 'better UM3X'. W4 will never give you the same clean, clear and transparent sound like an ER4. It will instead give you a really good Westone's house sound - warm, thick, monitor-tuned sound.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #11 of 43
ClieOS - got it. When I did research back then, I sort of came to the conclusion that anything "above" the Etys will really be warmer with more bass, etc. So maybe it's useless to look for something with the same sound signature but better? Maybe just aim for anything better in general? Kinda hard without listening to them first.

I returned a Klipsch S4i -- totally not in the same league as the Etys (enjoyable but sounded muddy and not good for classical).

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #13 of 43
Agree with ClieOS.  As far as crisp detail and transparency, ER4P is far superior than W4.  Many claim you must go high-end custom (JH13) to get same level of speed, detail, transparency and isolation.

I can't think of any universal that is "just like an Ety", especially with the isolation factor. 

If you wanted something much bassier, comfy and isolating with a great amount of detail I'd recommend W3.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 43
I'm surprised that no one has recommended the Audio Technica CK10.  It's has dual armature drivers and |joker| rates them as about the only universal that is a possible  upgrade over the ER-4 -- not by tons, but enough to notice.  The Ortofon EQ-5 and 7 are other universal possibilities that rival the ER-4.  None of these will equal the ER-4 in isolation, however.

I'm not sure there is an "upgrade" over the ER-4 in the universal-fit world in terms of SQ and isolation -- you might need to start looking at customs.

ALSO, don't forget you can get Etymotic to repair your ER-4, including driver replacement, for way under the price of new phones.

Jan 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #15 of 43

Quote:
Agree with ClieOS.  As far as crisp detail and transparency, ER4P is far superior than W4.  Many claim you must go high-end custom (JH13) to get same level of speed, detail, transparency and isolation.

I can't think of any universal that is "just like an Ety", especially with the isolation factor. 

If you wanted something much bassier, comfy and isolating with a great amount of detail I'd recommend W3.

Hi Spyro -- what's the W3? The Westone 3's (and not 4's)?

Quote:
Why not go to the 4S, if you're a fan of the Ety sound?

I had a P-to-S cable as well as a plug adapter that does the same thing. I don't really bring around a portable amp anymore to I stick with the ER4P...

Quote:
I'm surprised that no one has recommended the Audio Technica CK10.  It's has dual armature drivers and |joker| rates them as about the only universal that is a possible  upgrade over the ER-4 -- not by tons, but enough to notice.  The Ortofon EQ-5 and 7 are other universal possibilities that rival the ER-4.  None of these will equal the ER-4 in isolation, however.

I'm not sure there is an "upgrade" over the ER-4 in the universal-fit world in terms of SQ and isolation -- you might need to start looking at customs.

ALSO, don't forget you can get Etymotic to repair your ER-4, including driver replacement, for way under the price of new phones.

Thanks. I've actually had the first one repaired a while back. They totally replaced it even if it wasn't under warranty and didn't charge me anything (now that's customer service -- dunno if they'll still do that). But it's been years and I've noticed a crop of IEMs from different brands popping up everywhere so I thought maybe there's something that will beat the Etys with a similar sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back