Upgrade from Denon d2000 to d7000 or he-500?
Feb 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wheelsx45

New Head-Fier
I am ready to get some high end headphones and not sure . I know for sure I will like Denon d7000 judging by my use with d2000. But I also want to try something new by going with hifiman he500's. Would you say someone who enjoys denons will also like the he-500? My music genre is mainly,punk, rock, metal, but also a bit of ambient, electronic, classical. Someone told me the Denons have a V shaped signiture which got me thinking that mabey I am missing the mids, which is what got me interested in the he-500 headphones.

DAC: Audinst HUD-mx1

AMP: Schiit Asgard

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #2 of 19
I've owned all three Denon, and none of them had a "v-shaped" frequency curve--at least to my ears.
Right now I have the D7000 and the HE-5LE.  The HiFiMan is very open and clean sounding, with great tone color/balance and what seems to be developing into very good bass.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
I am ready to get some high end headphones and not sure . I know for sure I will like Denon d7000 judging by my use with d2000. But I also want to try something new by going with hifiman he500's. Would you say someone who enjoys denons will also like the he-500? My music genre is mainly,punk, rock, metal, but also a bit of ambient, electronic, classical. Someone told me the Denons have a V shaped signiture which got me thinking that mabey I am missing the mids, which is what got me interested in the he-500 headphones.

I have both the HE500 and D7000 and either one would work well with the music you mentioned. I like both equally. I will use the D7000 in the evenings but I do like the hE500 open sound signature as wel both are great IMO

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 19
I prefer the Denons to the HE-500's, by quite a margin - just seem much more clear to me... and... much easier top drive!

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 19
The HE-500 are "better" headphones in terms of most categories that audiophiles typically discuss, but they lack the "fun" of the Denons.  For me I like cans known for a V-curve, since headphones without it to me often sound a little weak and dull.  Based on my D5000, they definitely have more of a V-curve than headphones regard as "flat" like the HD-600 and HD-280, but it's not as sharp of one as cans like the Pro 900 or DT-770.  I've heard the HE-400, HE-500, and HE-6, and all of them are less enjoyable to me than my D5000, and too close to my HD-600.  But if you're looking for sheer sound quality and/or the planar magnetic experience, you might prefer them.

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:

Heya,

I have the Denons (2k & 5k) and the HE-500. It's an excellent way to go. You have an open set and a closed set that are just excellent. The HE-500 handles everything. Just like the Denon. The Denon has a little more sub-bass presence and punch, but the HE-500 is just so natural sounding, so warm and musical, it's just gorgeous. You will like the HE-500. A true high-end with near linear response (a little on the warm side). Very much like what you're used to with the Denon. Though think of the Denon as a calm icey mountain, and think of the HE-500 as a calm lush grass plain.

The Asgard will power the HE-500 sufficiently.

I have both the Asgard & Lyr, and the HE-500 is fully dynamic off the Asgard as far as I'm concerned--I don't even need the Lyr. You're putting just over 1 watt into the HE-500 with the Asgard and that's what is recommended (1 watt).

Go for it. HE-500 is the way to go.

Very best,

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 19
Sounds like I wont be disapointed with the he-500s. I know the denon lineup leaks quite a bit for being closed type, do the hifiman's leak much more? I would assume they do.

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Heya,

I have the Denons (2k & 5k) and the HE-500. It's an excellent way to go. You have an open set and a closed set that are just excellent. The HE-500 handles everything. Just like the Denon. The Denon has a little more sub-bass presence and punch, but the HE-500 is just so natural sounding, so warm and musical, it's just gorgeous. You will like the HE-500. A true high-end with near linear response (a little on the warm side). Very much like what you're used to with the Denon. Though think of the Denon as a calm icey mountain, and think of the HE-500 as a calm lush grass plain.

The Asgard will power the HE-500 sufficiently.

I have both the Asgard & Lyr, and the HE-500 is fully dynamic off the Asgard as far as I'm concerned--I don't even need the Lyr. You're putting just over 1 watt into the HE-500 with the Asgard and that's what is recommended (1 watt).

Go for it. HE-500 is the way to go.

Very best,

+1

MalVeauX, was the first one who suggested me to go HE500 after Denon, and I went for it. I have no regrets, none at all. These just sounds so right!

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Sounds like I wont be disapointed with the he-500s. I know the denon lineup leaks quite a bit for being closed type, do the hifiman's leak much more? I would assume they do.

I don't know about the HE-500 since the planar has a little more meat in the cup, but I owned the HE-300 and it leaked a LOT more then my Denon D2000.  I mean a LOT.  I use the D200 in a cube environment and I haven't heard any complaints.  So although they do leak a little, it's barely noticable.

P.S. I am interested in your MX1.  How idd it pair with the D2000?

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 19
The HE-500 leak like crazy. Just as much or maybe even more than my Grado and HD650. 

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
I don't know about the HE-500 since the planar has a little more meat in the cup, but I owned the HE-300 and it leaked a LOT more then my Denon D2000.  I mean a LOT.  I use the D200 in a cube environment and I haven't heard any complaints.  So although they do leak a little, it's barely noticable.

Quote:
The HE-500 leak like crazy. Just as much or maybe even more than my Grado and HD650. 

They're OPEN headphones, what do you expect?

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #14 of 19
My post was more directed to the guy above you, because it sounds like he was complaining on the fact that an open headphones supposed to leak.

Anyway, cheers!

Quote:
Really? They're open?! Sarcasm

OP asked if they leaked and I answered. What did you expect? 

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:

This was my first dac/hp amp so I am not expirienced. I noticed the soundstage open up, more detail the bass seemed cleaner/fuller and added a nice slam to it, made my denon d2000 even better, nothing negative to say about it. The two seem to match up pretty well, other people have also said the same thing about the combo. From all the research  I did, this is one of the best product in this  price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back