Upgrade from Clip for a better EQ
Feb 24, 2010 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ace5000

100+ Head-Fier
I love the sound of the clip but I need to use an EQ, and the Clip seems to get screwed up with lower volume, etc.

I don't want to sped a fortune and do not use video. What is the next step up in sound with a good EQ?

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 30
what version do you have? you could possibly rockbox it to get some better eq if you have v1.

i had the cowon d2 and the eq wasn't bad on them but there was a bass rolloff which i didnt like as much.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 30
only if the fuze is V1. I think the folks are working on cracking the V2 fuze. I would hold on to the clip if you could wait.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #8 of 30
There are the Sony E and S series mp3 players that have a decent EQ for $50-125 - I recommend you give the sony walkman a try and see how you like their EQ
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 30
"I" just don't see why you need EQ for anything, whether u use the device as purely a source or to power quality IEMs

I have the Denon C700/C751 and lately Shure E310s and I just don't see the need for EQ

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 30
i don't quite follow this, by saying "EQ" have you meant to say presets? you realize that it does have custom which allows you to set the levels across five bands. to "energize" the phones at lower volume settings make it a smiley face.

the clip is a great little player, decodes flac and it's simple menu with a small format and it's a great value. sure it's not a top of the line player but i could live with it happily.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. Rockbox, or go for a Cowon. I love the EQ on my i9.

I agree, IMHO Cowon has the best EQ and JetEffects enhancements are very nice …

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the clip v2 = no rockbox?

Unfortunately rockbox is not working on the V2 clip yet, although I did read they’re working on it and a few basic drivers are, but you can not run anything on it yet. You can follow it’s status here. Although, if you can find a refurb v1 it’s possible to run it now and trust me, world of differance
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ri_toast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't quite follow this, by saying "EQ" have you meant to say presets? you realize that it does have custom which allows you to set the levels across five bands. to "energize" the phones at lower volume settings make it a smiley face.

If you look around there’s numerous posts about the Clip’s lack of a good EQ, I don’t think it’s worth rehashing it all again here.

Feb 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

It's worth it because this is where I am at now, and had no previous knowledge of the problem when I bought it. The purpose of MY thread is to look for something with a better EQ.

Is this it? Looks like a good price? Thanks.

Newegg.com - COWON 2.0" Black 8GB MP3 / MP4 Player iAudio9

Yup, that's the Cowon i9, and the EQ and sound enhancements are top of the class. Really, no current dap (AFAIK) offers as much in the area of customization. It's a real winner IMO. I'm w/WalkGood on this, go for the i9.

Feb 26, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Ok I'm in on the i9 - will report back.

Many thanks to all!

I would definitely like to hear what you think of the i9 in comparison to the Clip- also If you have access to a sony walkman S or E series give her a test as well if you can :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back