upgrade from ATH-M50/listen to rap mostly/under $300
Oct 21, 2014 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

techofthe9

100+ Head-Fier
Im new to  being a audiophile and Head-Fi Forums.I was wondering what would be a good upgrade from a ath-m50. i have had them for a couple years now and am looking for something better.here is what Im looking for.

-maybe open-back
-clear crisp sound
-good sound stage
-Im not a bass head but i do like a good clean bass
-nice highs and lows/flat
-i listen to rap/hip hop mostly but ill listen to pretty much any thing "good"
-under 300 i might have a little wiggle room
-Punchy,Detailed,Dynamic,Naturalness,Open,Depth,Resolving

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 22
Im new to  being a audiophile and Head-Fi Forums.I was wondering what would be a good upgrade from a ath-m50. i have had them for a couple years now and am looking for something better.here is what Im looking for.

-maybe open-back
-clear crisp sound
-good sound stage
-Im not a bass head but i do like a good clean bass
-nice highs and lows/flat
-i listen to rap/hip hop mostly but ill listen to pretty much any thing "good"
-under 300 i might have a little wiggle room

I'd wait for new coming headphones from denon and AT to arrive first.

ATH has has a new ath-msr7 being released that is a closed 45 mm driver can.

The denon MM40 is similar but lighter. Wait for Impressions from those headphones and take other headfiers recommendations to heart

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 22
I was in your shoes, ATH m50 were the first pair of decent HPs I owned. I decided that I wanted a pair of open back HP and went with the Sennheiser HD598 to listen to at home and never looked back absolutely love them. The only downside is it seemed to open a Pandoras box of other things I "needed" to upgrade. HD 598s are under $200. I am partial to senns so if u wanted another closed pair, I would say maybe the over ear momentums.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 22
I am sure there is a big improvement between the 598's and the 600 (I personally have only heard the 598's and the 650's and the 650's sounded better than the 598 when they were amped, but not by a huge margin, I may have a bias here though) but without proper amping the 598s would probably sound better, they are much easier to drive.

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 22
I think going from any closed can to an open one is going to be a noticeable upgrade for the things you listed, sound stage being foremost. The 598s are easy to drive with some exceptions, but I would never use them on the go anyway so its not an issue. If money is no obstacle then yes you will hear a bigger difference with the HD 6xx assuming good source files and proper amping. It's really what your budget allows. I think you would be very happy and notice a big difference with any decent open HP coming from the somewhat bass heavy closed ATH m50

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 22
  are these going to be in this price range? Im hoping to notice a major improvement.

They should be.

Around $290.

However, that's just the street release.

The sales price should be around $220 hopefully. But I'm just saying to wait if you can. If not, just listen to the other headfiers here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back