Upgrade from 1more Quad Driver?
Apr 4, 2018 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

admaciaszek

New Head-Fier
I love the sound for the quad rivers but wearing them down gives too much microphonic. When I wear them over my ear they don't stay over and I have to readjust constanly.
I was thinking about getting custom tips (I already have impressions made) or maybe stabilizers to help.
Should I sell them and just get a new iem like ie80?

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 10
Hi Admaciaszek,

I would suggest more tip rolling as it sounds more like a fit issue more than anything else.
Stabilisers are unlikely to help if your tip choice isn't good in the first place.
What other tips aside from stock have you tried or not, customs are only an option if you're absolutely sure of the fit then sometimes there is no guarantee either especially considering the issues you're having.
Also, if there is a microphonic issue wearing the qauds cable down, what is your source as some source combinations have been known to cause this though rare.

Lastly, as stated with above points, changing a perfectly good IEM you actually like to another will not make the fit better which is the main issue, not sound.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 10
The audio source his my Samsung note 8. When wearing down I get alot of sound when walking around campus which is when I use them mainly.
When I wear them up to prevent this annoying issue but the wire falls down since the wire isn't meant to go over the ear like that.
The fit in my ears is not bad and they aren't falling out when worn down though I would like a better seal. I have already tried spinfit and comply tips.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 10
Hi Admaciaszek,

A few things to note :

Samsung Note 8 unfortunately is known for hiss so there may be no obvious way around this I know of but I am not the one to ask about this particular issue as I don't have a Note 8 or am I Samsung technical support.
While they can be worn over ear, yes, you are correct, it is better to wear them wire down.
Ok, when you say the fit in your ears is not bad, then you have a problem, it should be at least good if not better.
My question is have you tried the correct model size, not actual size, eg Comply Foam T600 ?
Spinfits are a bit tricky as they need smaller than expected to fit well into an ear canal & they don't always tell you which ones fit right off so experimentation is required.

That's all I can suggest at the moment, I would say just keep trying to get a proper fit & not what you imagine to be one.
A good way to see whether fit works is to just wear them with no sound playing.

Let me know how it goes.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 10
I don't think tips are going to fix your issues with cable microphonics, but they may help keep the iems in place better, not so much the cables.
Honestly, after having the quads for a month, they're okay, but for the money, I've listened to more enjoyable iems. I think you could do better with other manufacturers.

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 10
Hi Squee116,

Agree with you there though was helping with the fit issue, not microphonics.

Apr 11, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 10
Hi Admaciaszek,

Most if not all IEMs nowadays have virtually no microphonics though it is important to note with some sensitive IEMs, some sources may have hiss to varying degrees in place of microphonics.

In your price range, there are only two which I have good experience which are close to if not fit your requirements without any real effort, keep in mind, this is subjective & personal.

These are iBasso IT 01 & IT 03 though the latter is $ 59 over your budget.

The Simgot EN 700 Pro is not a bad option as well but keep in mind this particular IEM is source dependant.

Hope these are suitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back