Upgrade Fever - Senn vs Grado
May 16, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #31 of 36
ScottieB;5686676 said:
Hey cool! Glad you like them.
But from the sound of it, you and I aren't all that different at all
biggrin.gif

Naw...you're right on that. Just out of curiosity...do you rotate your 600s in regularly...listen to 1 more than the other?...I love my Sennheisers but don't think I'll be hearing them for a while. Thinking this will be a really nice compliment to what I have right now but they are stunning.

May 16, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #32 of 36
I do - depends on the music, but I do really like the Sennheisers, too. Some songs just don't have the same "magic" with the Grados, so when I feel something is missing I'll try the senns. Often but not always they will work better for that particular song/album. Also, since they are less "in your face" I tend to use the Sennheisers when I'm listening as background - like when I'm working or reading or something. When I want the music to be front and center I go Grado.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #33 of 36
this is handy - i wrote a long post yesterday on "Which Grado's" to buy, but for some reason it hasn't appeared in the thread. However, I think this thread pretty much answers my question.

I too have, and dearly love, my SR60's. I listen through my iMod and trusty CMOY amp, everything goes in my bag and it's great for car and walkabout listening.

I have a pair of HD600's, and although I love them as a reference pair, they don't get too much use.. I have to say I prefer the sound of the SR60's, plus I find the HD600's a little uncomfortable at times.

How blown away am I going to be when I can finally get my hands on a used pair of 325i's?

And then upgrade my CMOY to a RSA Hornet?
dt880smile.png

thanks lescanard for your post!

May 16, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I once again appreciate all of this feedback. I really went back and forth but after all of the excellent advice and my research I decided that although I thought I wanted to get the 650s my set-up probably wouldn't warrant it for the near term. I enjoy the sr60s and found a local shop. Basically I wanted to demo the 225is and 325is which I did. After everything I read I really believed I would find the 225s would be the right choice. Thing was - I didn't find that at all. I really did not hear the "screeching highs" some said I would find in the 325s. I gotta tell you - I loved them. My shop gave me a demo cd and I sat there for an hour and went back and forth. Rock, Jazz, Classical, Blues - I ran the gamut. These things are ridiculous IMO. Just got 'em home after they cut me a little deal - I am just loving the sound and they really have no time on them yet. Can't wait to hear them when they really open up. ScottieB called it - we're all different. Didn't really hear a huge difference from the 225s and sr60s - not enough in my opinion. So damned happy right now!

Ridiculous indeed.
biggrin.gif
I'm listening to my own pair now as a switch-up from my HD650s. Go post in the 325i owner's thread and enjoy your new cans!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #35 of 36
Been burning these things in - mostly just listening to great music but running pink noise through them when I'm not enjoying them. I truly can't understand this whole "too bright"..."screaming highs" stuff I hear about these, They are as smooth and deep as I want my music to sound - awesome clarity, bass is so freaking right...I don't know - I think I'm done with my search. This is what I was looking for.

May 17, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #36 of 36
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people will identify with a brand and fight for the glory of that brand - as if one company had invented the headphone. I own a bunch of Grados - iGrados, SR-60s, SR-80s, SR-325i's, RS-1's and GS-1000's. I like Grados, which is why I have my little collection, but it's not as if music isn't music unless it's being played from a Grado. Sennheiser makes great headphones, too. If there's a difference between the two makes, it's that Grados are low impedence, making them easier to drive, while Senns have a longstanding reputation for being about as neutral as it gets.

There are lots of elements to getting decent sound, one of which is plunking down for a decent set of cans. What also matters is the source material, the playback unit, the interconnect device and the amp. They all matter. Although each manufacturer has its own "house sound" (or at least preferences or qualities within a certain range), the differences between manufacturers (or within similar units along the product line) is overblown. Of greater importance is whether you've invested in a decent set of cans or whether you're expecting to get $500 worth of sound out of $5 worth of headphones.

I started upgrading my headphones - from the $49 iGrados to the $1,000 GS-1000's - before I gave much thought to the role of interconnect cable and headphone amp. Having recently upgraded in those departments, I found my weak link to be the source material, itself. Because of iTunes' convenience, I have a lot of 128k tracks. I, too, looked into upgrading to 256k tracks but something - probably pride - kicked in. Why should I pay Apple a second fee when those b@st@rds sold me stripped-down music to begin with? I have since started buying my music from Ebay and other outlets where I can get the cd for a discount. The difference between 128k and 1000k is real. It only takes a few minutes to import an entire album but the end result is more than worth it. I get better bass and more sizzle at the high end, as well as more headroom.

I'm not going to replace everything with cds, at least not right away. I'm reserving that option for new music first. But going lossless is the cheapest way to uprade, and one that pays immediate rewards.

On the "best bang for the buck" homefront, I performed an experiment on a pair of SR-60s. After discovering some sabotage on the early iGrado (where the open-air backs weren't really all that "open"), I decided to remove the rear grill from my SR-60s. This left nothing to produce the resonance Grados are designed to minimize. To make it work, I had to superglue the cushions to the headphone assembly. I did this after switching out the cushions (from the L-Pads to the doughnuts). To my surprise, the resulting SR-60s became measurably clearer and uncolored. And where I'd been led to believe that my bass would suffer, I found it better. Because my bass was only what the driver, itself, had created - not some kind of bass reflex amplified by the rear air chamber - it was cleaner and tighter.

Before you plunk your money down for either an SR-225 or an SR-325, you might want to try what I tried. There are links where you can go through a list of "Grado mods," including instructions on how to remove the rear chamber. If you're brave enough to remove the rear air chamber, and then superglu the chambers to the forks on the headband, you will be pleasantly surprised. The effect is remarkable.

(You can also put a gummy, sound-absorbing, material on the back of the driver's rear center, which will cut down on resonance from vibrations on the metal back.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back