Upgrade Fever - Senn vs Grado
May 5, 2009 at 8:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

lescanard

100+ Head-Fier
I have truly enjoyed perusing all of the threads here and have learned a lot. I really am looking for some honest opinions and am not intending to start a Grado vs Sennheiser flame-fest since I know there are very strong opinions in both camps. Basically - I think it is time to streamline my collection a bit and I want to upgrade my top end headphone. Here's some basic background info and I would appreciate any or all opinions.

I listen primarily out of my Macbook and have digitized and put in the attic all of my cds (as well as my cd player). "If" I listen out of my Denon Receiver through my speakers it is simply an Airport Express stream. However - when I really want to "listen" and enjoy the music, I put the headphones on and I prefer to listen to music this way. I love that time with my headphones and it is the time I enjoy music the most (like all of you).

If I use my 595s - I run them through my Total Bithead - if I use the Grados - I just run them out of my MacBook. I find myself more and more grabbing the Grados and am really appreciating the sound - however I do pick up the 595s periodically and I truly do enjoy them. I have several Senns and like their sound quite a bit. I never really consider it as one vs the other - I simply enjoy both. I don't listen to lossless - and probably will never re-rip my cds. Everything is 128 or 256 and I really don't mind that. I like Rock (Who, Stones etc.) but my genre of choice is really Americana/Roots Rock - I like vocals, guitars, acoustics and harmonies - (Wilco, Son Volt, Ryan Adams, Matthew Ryan, The National).

If I upgrade my amp/dac it would likely be to a Pico or Predator or maybe a Meier down the road. I recently decided I was going to upgrade my top set to some HD650s. I figured I would get the amp/dac within the year and run the 650s through my bithead until then. As I mentioned - the more I listen to the sr60s the more I find I am digging their sound - which has started me thinking about the Grados (225is and 325is) as my upgrade. Regardless of which way I go - I'll most likely sell the 595s and keep the sr60s for unamped and iPod listening.

I'm looking for some opinions - its really not about the $s here - I am mostly concerned with the best listening experience based on the music I like and how I enjoy listening to it. Thanks!

May 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 36
if you do decide to upgrade, your 128kbps music will haunt you.
just letting you know in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 36
It's funny, the 650s are more forgiving of compression in my experience, the Grado 325is more forgiving of amp. They are surprisingly close in detail and differ primarily in the basic sonic signature. It'd be a tough call for me to pick between them when both are run out of a HR Micro as I do now.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: If I remember I'll plug my 650s into my Bithead when I get home and let you know how they sound, as I've been using them exclusively with the Micro so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 36
Thanks - I kind of know that and can fix it to some degree. I now rip all cds in 256kbps - and can fix all of the cds I have ripped years back in 128 - the problem is all of the iTunes music I had purchased at 128 - Apple has "generously" offered to let me upgrade the music I own to iTunes Plus for about $400+ - hardly a fair solution.

May 5, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 36
Personally... I would stick with Grados... until... you're in a position to invest in a good source and matching amp (not a portable).

I also, personally, prefer the SR225s to most other Grados, expcept for the RS-1s, which sound very similar. However, if you're into "stabbing highs" and crude, non-musical forms of music you might prefer the SR325s - though, they can also be good with good music, with the right set up.

Senns are much more demanding of your setup than Grados - though, Grados also benefit from a matching source and amp (low impedance, high current output). Grados are just less demanding in general.

But... don't waste your money on more expensive Grados, or Senns, until you're ready to invest in a real set up, which matches the requirements of the phones.

May 5, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 36
I will say that, I do enjoy my RS2s but ever since I sold my HD650s, I had been missing something. So when I heard about the new HD800, I put an order in. Well, since they have been delayed, I decided on a whim (and after reading Ray Samuels thoughts on the HD600) to grab the HD600 to tide me over.

I have to say that I was really surprised at how great they sound! With either the RSA Hornet "M" or the Woo3 with some nice tubes. I also have the IE8s which I really love as well. I had forgotten how great Sennheisers sounded. I'm hoping the HD800 brings a new level of excitement albeit my Woo may struggle to utilize the full potential of the 800s.

That being said, If the HD600 were to be my last headphone ever, I think I would be okay with it. They really are that good IMO, and from what I remember, sound even better and flatter than the HD650s with a Cardas cable. I do plan on grabbing an aftermarket cable for the 600s soon.

for me, the HD600 is a great HP and an awesome value.

Happy listening all.

May 5, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by madmax7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say that, I do enjoy my RS2s but ever since I sold my HD650s, I had been missing something. So when I heard about the new HD800, I put an order in. Well, since they have been delayed, I decided on a whim (and after reading Ray Samuels thoughts on the HD600) to grab the HD600 to tide me over.

I have to say that I was really surprised at how great they sound! With either the RSA Hornet "M" or the Woo3 with some nice tubes. I also have the IE8s which I really love as well. I had forgotten how great Sennheisers sounded. I'm hoping the HD800 brings a new level of excitement albeit my Woo may struggle to utilize the full potential of the 800s.

That being said, If the HD600 were to be my last headphone ever, I think I would be okay with it. They really are that good IMO, and from what I remember, sound even better and flatter than the HD650s with a Cardas cable. I do plan on grabbing an aftermarket cable for the 600s soon.

for me, the HD600 is a great HP and an awesome value.

Happy listening all.

That... they are... superb phones... whether "old" version, or "new" version, expecially with the Cardas cable.

But... they... benefit greatly from a good, matching source and amp, which complements their higher impedance.

Grados, are less demanding, and will do better with less expensive set ups.

May 5, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #8 of 36
I've just spent the whole afternoon listening to Grados
smily_headphones1.gif
-> 125, 225, 325, rs2 & rs1
Took along to the session the HD600 and the semi burnt in HFI780 and... an iPod

lescanard - If you're willing to evaluate sr60 vs hd595, then you must be a Grado lover. To my ears the Grados are so inferior that there simply is no contest. The only way the 595s could relate to the SR60s is probably under an unamped circumstance where the Senns simply didn't have the required juice to run.

Unamped I'd just stick with the Grados, especially with low bit rate music!

May 5, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 36
For 128kps music, don't bother. Crap in, crap out.

Quote:

Apple has "generously" offered to let me upgrade the music I own to iTunes Plus for about $400+ - hardly a fair solution.

Should have bought them on CD in the first place

May 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #10 of 36
Thanks for the replies everyone. I understand the lower bit rate music is less than ideal - it does not constitute the majority of my library so please don't think that is the case (nor my original point). It is a part of my library so for the stuff I really like I can upgrade it or re-rip it later. My point is that I will most likely listen to my music on my laptop (regardless of bitrate) with probably a more portable dac/amp combo (even in the future). It's just the way I will be listening most likely so I was interested in your opinions on what you thought may work best in my situation. Thanks!

May 5, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 36
I have the Total Bithead already iriverdude - expect to own a better one soon.

May 6, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 36
The HD650 is great sounding for what it is, but if you specifically dig the HD595, I really don't think that the 650 is on your upgrade path. In my opinion the HD595 doesn't sound much at all like the other Sennheiser audiophile headphones. I'd say your 'nirvana' would be more along the lines of the GS1000.

May 6, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #14 of 36
I went from a 595 to a HD580 and it was a major step up. I also really liked the musical sound of the grados which adds flair to the music. That said the HD580 still performs better and the quality is also noticeable in the music. I believe the Senns perform better over a wider variety of genres.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 6, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcpoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you do decide to upgrade, your 128kbps music will haunt you.
just letting you know in advance.
smily_headphones1.gif

x2, it'll kill your experience as you'll just here a fuzzy mess (i'm assuming you'll be continuing to use your 595's, or upgrading to the hd600/650 or the similair in the future). You will be grabing your cd's out and reripping them in a lossless format, or just using your cd's.

As for grado or sennheiser, I generally personally prefer Sennheiser. However grado has many positives and negatives (more so then the Sennheiser line imo), and I trully fell the only way to objectivly decide whether you like the grado sound signiture is to hear it for yourself as it's very unique. I would also consider looking at the byerdynamic range of headphones (in particular the dt880's).

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're using line out from your laptop, buy a DAC/amp first don't bother with headphone upgrade. Line out from laptops is terrible quality.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back