[*UPDATED*] M50s, are they the best for me? (most likely not anymore)
Dec 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

aznritard

New Head-Fier
Here are basically what I would like to have in the M50's:

UPDATED:
-  around $100 $150 - 200 (USD)
-  good for listening to christian rock, acoustic guitar pieces, vocal, k-pop, occasionally trance
-  offer a good amount of bass (but not to the point of distortion, or "fake" ness) I want clean bass that is going to leave a mark
-  has clean treble that's not too harsh
-  the mids don't really matter as much to me
-  do not require an amp to sound great
-  my source is a Zune HD 
Source changed to mobile smartphone (most likely iPhone or similar contender) (Don't know if its a significant change but just listing it)
- closed, not open cans 
- not too much "clamp" on my head as I will be wearing them for on average 2 hours

If there is anything else that better fits these conditions please help! I am in the midst of searching for my entry level headphones and want to have a couple to compare before buying.  As of now I have only the M50's on my list and it would be better if I had some more options, unless of course the M50's are perfect for me...

Thanks everyone here at head-fi you guys are always great!

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznritard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
-  around $100 (USD)
Yes.

-  good for listening to christian rock, acoustic guitar pieces, vocal, k-pop, occasionally trance
They're good with most genres but have a slight tilt toward bass and away from vocals. It would work well, but for only those genres there -might- be some better options.

-  offer a good amount of bass (but not to the point of distortion, or "fake" ness) I want clean bass that is going to leave a mark
Yes. I wish they had a little more bass, but for your genres, it's great.

-  has clean treble that's not too harsh
They're a bit harsh at first, but that dies down over time and leaves a smooth treble.

-  the mids don't really matter as much to me
Good.

-  do not require an amp to sound great
Good.

- my source is a Zune HD
This is my own opinion, but I personally dislike them out of my iPod. They're very revealing cans and any flaws in the source will show. You might not mind, though, because most don't.

- closed, not open cans
This is a given.

- not too much "clamp" on my head as I will be wearing them for on average 2 hours
Though some swear by it, I don't like the comfort. The clamp is bad at first, but keep it stretched over a computer tower/the original box for a few hours and it'll feel good clamping wise. There is still some clamp and a slight pressure point on the top of the head, though, which makes these uncomfortable. Again, some swear by the comfort, so don't take my word for it.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 39
The M50 use to be $200 and then $150 and then made its way down to ~$100. I think retailers are just getting greedy with the holidays.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 39
If you listen to a lot of kpop like me (big bang, snsd, etc.) i would strongly suggest you get these, like everyone else in the thread. Makes songs like Genie, Hoot, Run devil Run, Haru Haru, and so forth sound really good. Just My opinion.
They do have a "burn-in" thing, where at first, the bass is really boomy and has a lot of impact. But once you listen to it more often, it subsides

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 39
Wearing M50s for 2 hours might cause a little discomfort if you have a bigger head like myself, but other then that, I'd say they suit all your other needs quite well.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 39
Ah wow thanks for the quick responses ya'll.  And yes Prices has risen as the demand for the headphones exploded I believe.  They're 147 on amazon the last time I checked but I'm planning on buying them for a hundred off ebay (safe, or not?) which puts them at the limit for my budget.

Also, one more thing I was wondering... which cord should I get in terms of sheer durability and nothing else, which would last longer: coiled vs. straight?

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #12 of 39

Quote:

They're good with most genres but have a slight tilt toward bass and away from vocals. It would work well, but for only those genres there -might- be some better options.

Hey, can anyone specify any other headphones I might want to look into?  As I said, I'm trying not to be too sticky with the m50 yet as I may find a diamond somewhere out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back