Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Apr 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #1,336 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade_hall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A simple solution would be to create a folder 'Chesky_Head-Fi', move all the album tracks to this folder and prefix each track name with the track number:

01 Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
02 Money
10 Tumbao De Tamborito
11 Heartbeat
12 Everything is Broken

and then play from this folder

I did that (amongst many other things) and nothing works.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #1,338 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your player can not play 24/96 track, or have to play a 16bit track before play any 24/96, please send it back to fix it. It is a hardware problem. Please print your online receipt email or transaction page. Note that you need a replacement, and ship the HM-801 player, and include the receipt in the packaging back to us.
Please make sure to note your address, since the address on the receipt is the only way for us to mail the product back to you.

Is there any other drawbacks to this hardware problem ?

I don't have a lot of 24bit tracks (yet...), and I just noticed that my HM-801 hang-up severely when I try to play 24bit just after start-up (I need to withdraw the battery to restart). 24bit tracks play well if 16bit have been played before.

I hesitate to send my HM-801 back (in china in my case) because with post and customs it would mean waiting at least 1 month without it (and it will miss me a lot now !)

-------
By the way, I have made some listening test on the HM-801 playing the same music in 16/44 and 24/96 format, and improvement is obvious and really appreciable
smily_headphones1.gif
- Thank's for this great product !

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #1,339 of 1,469
Is anyone having problems with their HFM turning on?

The battery for it was drained. When I tried to plug the adaptor into the unit to charge, it still is unable to turn on.

Tried removing the battery and reinserting, but to no avail.

Does any body have such similar issues or do i have to wait for a while before the the HFM can turn on once the battery has a certain capacity restored?

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #1,340 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by gatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any other drawbacks to this hardware problem ?

I don't have a lot of 24bit tracks (yet...), and I just noticed that my HM-801 hang-up severely when I try to play 24bit just after start-up (I need to withdraw the battery to restart). 24bit tracks play well if 16bit have been played before.

I hesitate to send my HM-801 back (in china in my case) because with post and customs it would mean waiting at least 1 month without it (and it will miss me a lot now !)

-------
By the way, I have made some listening test on the HM-801 playing the same music in 16/44 and 24/96 format, and improvement is obvious and really appreciable
smily_headphones1.gif
- Thank's for this great product !

I had the same problem and upgrade to V.016 firmware and that problem went away. What version are you using?
The only problem that I am having is that no matter what I try, The Head-Fi "Open your Ears" download is placing songs all over the HD no matter how I tag them.

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #1,343 of 1,469
When I first got mine (.015 firmware) it wouldn't start either, until I got a certain amount of charge into it. No problem since, though it seems I need to hold the on/off button down for a few seconds.

- Ed

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #1,344 of 1,469
This is not really a related subject here. I used the HM-801 at the headphone meet here in NYC but I can't remember something about it. I can't remember what the connector is to recharge the HM-801. Does anyone have photos of this area on their unit? Also, this is a silly question I suppose, but I was wondering if there was anyway the HM-801 could be used on an iPod dock or connect to a stereo via auxiliary output.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #1,346 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not really a related subject here. I used the HM-801 at the headphone meet here in NYC but I can't remember something about it. I can't remember what the connector is to recharge the HM-801. Does anyone have photos of this area on their unit? Also, this is a silly question I suppose, but I was wondering if there was anyway the HM-801 could be used on an iPod dock or connect to a stereo via auxiliary output.

Here you go David, for your first question:

39824407.jpg

15486626.jpg

25651613.jpg

Speaking of recharger:

The original plug is a monstrosity; that thing weighs more than a baby elephant. Thus, if anyone knows where to obtain a similar, non-backbreaking recharging plug/adapter, please do let the rest of us know, as traveling with the original plug will--as some other posters have already alluded to--stymie the device's notion of portability. (Went to Fry's and Radio Shack to no avail; Google, nothing [my searching know-how is limited, mind].)

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #1,348 of 1,469
I just received my HM-801 yesterday. I find the charger to be quite big and heavy. Since the battery can only last 6~8 hours each charge, this makes the unit not very potable. I am wondering if a smaller charger, even if it does not output as much current and requires a longer charging time can be designed for this unit? I think people would not mind this option.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #1,350 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received my HM-801 yesterday. I find the charger to be quite big and heavy. Since the battery can only last 6~8 hours each charge, this makes the unit not very potable. I am wondering if a smaller charger, even if it does not output as much current and requires a longer charging time can be designed for this unit? I think people would not mind this option.

its been asked and answered before here and by fang that there is a reason for the whole bulky design of charger and battery(you can also search other more respectable headfier's post such as immitbiker etc)

it is to provide stable and powerful power source to the whole unit that includes the amp and power sucker DAC chip etc and the giantic battery. dont forget it is design to be able to pump up 300 ohm headphone with desirable result and also act as a not bad at all desk DAC unit. try finding any portable mp3 or pmp on the market that have the horse power to pump 300 ohm earphone with desirable result...

hardcore desktop hifier would consider the power source and cable to be one of the most important element of a good system. i like the way hifiman 801 is!!

few years ago, laptop battery with 1 1/2 hour battery consider to be acceptable! and 6~8 hours battery life for mobile phone also consider to be acceptable..... i guess we just never feel satisfy hey
wink.gif

its like solar vehicle racing, u want it light then you have to run your solar car at 20km/h with tiny horse power
tongue.gif
i would prefer to have a 80km/h steady speed with drag horse power of 600hp~ it would be like a freaking tank non stop-table and crash every thing in front ~

look at the bright side, dont you feel surprise how fast 801 charge up fully? suppose the bulky charger is doing the trick here ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back