Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Mar 28, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #1,306 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by super_fied /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, where do I get the 0.15 fw update?Just joined the HFM club yesterday and my fw is at 0.11 at the moment!

was really wowed by this baby!

Follow the tread. The latest firmware is here: http://down.head-direct.com/HM-801-v0.15.rar

If you don't want to read all posts, just search for those from Nankai (he's providing links for new firmwares)

Mar 28, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #1,307 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by petercak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Follow the tread. The latest firmware is here: http://down.head-direct.com/HM-801-v0.15.rar

If you don't want to read all posts, just search for those from Nankai (he's providing links for new firmwares)

Thanks buddy!Just updated my firmware to v0.14... Not doing v0.15 atm as there are still kinks apparently from what i've read.

one more question- is it normal for the Hifiman to be heat up when it is charging or playing?

Mine gets really hot!

will appreciate the answers! Thank you!

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #1,309 of 1,469
The metal back plate is thermally coupled to the DACs on the pcb inside and acts as a heat sink for them.

Much of the time I keep my unit in a Canon ’Power Shot’ padded case though the back plate temperature doesn’t seem to rise much above 95 deg F.

Mar 29, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #1,310 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the new amp module. Still bass-shy. My bassy 'clubbing' songs sound very vocal-heavy. Here's to hoping it improves with burn-in.

I like the bass with the stock amp, so would be interested to compare your findings. Can you tell us the following:

What track you are using
what format
where exactly in the track you think it's 'bass-shy'
headphones
equipment you are comparing against

Mar 29, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #1,311 of 1,469
Sorry for the questions asked, i know that the HFM can play 24/96 flac files....but how about signed 24 bit PCM wav files?

I tried playing on the macbookpro and there's been no issues, but when i attempt to play it via hifiman man, the player flashes and reboots itself.

my player works fine=D with 24/96 flac files-just managed to find some ala nine inch nails

thanks in advance!
beyersmile.png

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #1,312 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by super_fied /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the questions asked, i know that the HFM can play 24/96 flac files....but how about signed 24 bit PCM wav files?

I tried playing on the macbookpro and there's been no issues, but when i attempt to play it via hifiman man, the player flashes and reboots itself.

my player works fine=D with 24/96 flac files-just managed to find some ala nine inch nails

thanks in advance!
beyersmile.png

24 bit wav file is being played nicely on my hifiman, no issues. Firmware version 0.14

maybe you should try some other card. Bitrate should be still OK for Class 4 cards, but you never know...

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #1,314 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade_hall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the bass with the stock amp, so would be interested to compare your findings. Can you tell us the following:

What track you are using
what format
where exactly in the track you think it's 'bass-shy'
headphones
equipment you are comparing against

FLAC
Belinda Carlisle (heaven is a place on earth), Black Eyed Peas (I gotta feeling, boom boom pow)
headphones: JH13, um3x
comparing against: Protector. Maybe I just like my bass more thumpy. Esp. for dance music like this, you need to really feel the beat and want to get off your feet and dance. Unfortunately with GAME it's more like you're listening to rather than feeling the music.

Sorry, no time to go in more depth..

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #1,315 of 1,469
I have a question about the power supply. The stock transformer seems to accept only one input voltage, so it may not work for travels between countries using different voltages (e.g. USA and Europe). This issue in a sense would limit the actual portability. Has anyone a solution for that problem? Is it possible to find a universal power supply which can be used with HM801?

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #1,316 of 1,469
So much it is about expectations ... here's my perspective (+/-/?):

Is it the best sounding "Single" DAP in the world?
+ Probably Yes
smily_headphones1.gif

Does it have the best sounding amp?
- Probably No (hope Ray, Justin and others will offer their amp modules)
But How good is the build in amp or the game card?
+ It is very good and I think it can be improved like any other audio gear
Does it sound better than iMod?
+ Yes
Will it replace my ipod/imod or other DAP?
? That is such a personal decision, how important is user interface for you? I'll still have some sort of ipod for casual use which has high battery life is smaller and is very fast and easy to use. I am selling my iMod but keeping my iPod.
So what's the big deal and what do I lose/trade?
+ it is the best sounding Single unit DAP (no external amp/cables etc.) that I know of and almost all / all owners agree
+ It allows removable SD card for storage (upto 32 GB Class 4 - limited to certain cards - check before you buy for compatibility), so it is easy to expand on storage by having multiple cards instead of having multiple DAPs
+ The amp unit is also upgradeable (they just released game card with lower gain for IEMs)
+ It supports upto 24/96 HD digital files - WAV, FLAC (of course mp3)
+ It has options for digital in / out - this can possibly replace your home / main digital player or enable you to use other digital sources or use external amps.
- Battery life is average - 6 to 8 hours (mine is ~6 hours)
- User Interface is primitive compared to current DAPs (impossible to compete with big companies with much bigger development budget)
- Firmware is going through bug fixes, but it is liveable, it is not a deal breaker for me - I have one and enjoy it
+ Customer Service is personal and excellent for a small company ...

Cheers
Sunil.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #1,317 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question about the power supply. The stock transformer seems to accept only one input voltage, so it may not work for travels between countries using different voltages (e.g. USA and Europe). This issue in a sense would limit the actual portability. Has anyone a solution for that problem? Is it possible to find a universal power supply which can be used with HM801?

I'm guessing that's a maximum voltage ?

Now that we can buy a spare battery, I'd like to see a small, lightweight and cheap charger that charges the battery only, a bit like the one's Sony supply with their cameras. This would be much better than carrying around that brick of a power supply and enables listening whilst charging

Apr 1, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #1,318 of 1,469
Yes I was referring to the maximum voltage.

I fully support your suggestion of a lighter power supply. It is true that the traditional transformers sound generally better, so that is a good solution sound wise. However that argument mainly applies to desktop applications. In order to have a truly portable source, IMO, the power supply must be relatively light and accept all kind of input voltages/frequencies one can find worldwide. Otherwise we would be forced to carry around an additional transformer/power supply while traveling in countries using 220-240V.

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #1,319 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? It should not support 24bit wav.

It does not. I made a mistake. I copies both 24bit .wav and .flac file and they both had the same name. Both were recognised by hifiman, but when I selected .wav file, it was ignored and next song started, i.e. flac file. So, in both cases I played the same flac file. I must have missed that. My apologies.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #1,320 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by petercak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does not. I made a mistake. I copies both 24bit .wav and .flac file and they both had the same name. Both were recognised by hifiman, but when I selected .wav file, it was ignored and next song started, i.e. flac file. So, in both cases I played the same flac file. I must have missed that. My apologies.

Same thing here. My set restarts when i play 24 bit WAV. 24 bit FLAC is fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back