Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Feb 13, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #1,171 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by abeautifulife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news. Sure hopes the gain is set lower this time round. The gain on the current amp is so high by the time the dial gets past the channel imbalance, the volume gets almost too loud for my ears (using UE-10s)

Have alternated between 1) bearing with the loud music which gives me a fear of going deaf 2) using an external amp which kinda defeats the point of having this all in one player... 3) using an attenuater which sort of darkens the sound.

Have you tried setting the EQ to "user" ?
Someone mentioned this method eariler in this or in another post. It can reduce the output without affecting the SQ.

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #1,172 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by nlhk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried setting the EQ to "user" ?
Someone mentioned this method eariler in this or in another post. It can reduce the output without affecting the SQ.

Thank you. That is a good idea. (I've a sneaking feeling that digital attenuation done wrongly could reduce the resolution but these days, I don't think my ears can tell the difference anyway...)

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #1,176 of 1,469
I've just gone through this process with a 32g SD card which is the max size for the 801. I have my library in itunes and Apple Lossless, I copy the content I want to the computer, batch convert to FLAC and then move to the SD card. The FLAC files are now only on the SD card and the Apple Lossless still on the computer unconverted. Also I doubt many 801 users would be loading a full 32g card in one hit, they would be doing it in chunks - I'm doing mine in 2 or 3g and batch converting to FLAC using Max on the Mac and it's pretty quick

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #1,177 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade_hall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just gone through this process with a 32g SD card which is the max size for the 801. I have my library in itunes and Apple Lossless, I copy the content I want to the computer, batch convert to FLAC and then move to the SD card. The FLAC files are now only on the SD card and the Apple Lossless still on the computer unconverted. Also I doubt many 801 users would be loading a full 32g card in one hit, they would be doing it in chunks - I'm doing mine in 2 or 3g and batch converting to FLAC using Max on the Mac and it's pretty quick

That way however, your list is not going to be alphabetic at all.

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #1,178 of 1,469
How are y'all loading files onto your players? Compared to my Iriver and my Imod, the Hifiman is ridiculously slowwww.

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #1,179 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade_hall /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Me 2!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That way however, your list is not going to be alphabetic at all.

Why not? As long as your ID3 Tagging is correct, it comes out the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarmel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This still doesn't support ALAC?

What do you mean "still"?
It was stated at the introduction that the 801 would not support apple lossless anytime in the near future.

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #1,180 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are y'all loading files onto your players? Compared to my Iriver and my Imod, the Hifiman is ridiculously slowwww.

Probably the same way as you are, through the data exc port.

I agree with you it is pretty slow compared to my sony x series or ipod touch but i usually transfer loads at one time and just let it churn away while i'm getting my dinner etc.

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #1,181 of 1,469
I take my SD card, put it in a reader into the usb on my computer, and drag and drop. I don't go through the player. This way, it's only dependent on your computer's processor speed.

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #1,182 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't tried any mp3 files but when i'm transferring flac or wav files the albums always appear in the menu in the exact same order i put them on the card and not alphabetically. However the tracks inside each album do seem to be in order as long as they are labeled 01 02 03 etc.

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #1,183 of 1,469
Quote:

The Hifiman doesn't even read ID3 tags. I have to view the file/folder list and play files that way. Of any file on the SD card, be it FLAC or MP3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried any mp3 files but when i'm transferring flac or wav files the albums always appear in the menu in the exact same order i put them on the card and not alphabetically. However the tracks inside each album do seem to be in order as long as they are labeled 01 02 03 etc.

Well yeah because the folders are copied at once so all the files in it have the same creation date on the FAT table. If you copied half the songs of a folder once and then the other half the other time it wouldn't matter if they were 01, 02, etc. they'd be in the order it was copied.

Feb 16, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #1,184 of 1,469
Quote:

Me 2!

What do you mean "still"?
It was stated at the introduction that the 801 would not support apple lossless anytime in the near future.

As in I thought they fixed this as people were asking about it awhile ago. I have absolutely no interest in converting most of my music library over into FLAC. So this is pretty much a no-go. I have literally tens of thousands of songs in ALAC and it would be both a size, organization, and time nightmare. I was debating whether to replace my Imod with this and this pretty much ended that debate.

Feb 16, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #1,185 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well yeah because the folders are copied at once so all the files in it have the same creation date on the FAT table. If you copied half the songs of a folder once and then the other half the other time it wouldn't matter if they were 01, 02, etc. they'd be in the order it was copied.

Not sure this is true, the folders aren't sorted but the tracks within appear to be in name sequence - I'll do some more testing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back