Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Feb 3, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #1,157 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade_hall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Hifiman has been stuck in customs for the last 5 days...come on guys buy your own

LOL Maybe they will fill it with quality music files for you to enjoy !!!
L3000.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #1,158 of 1,469
I would like to officially change my view of the onboard amp as 'bass lacking'. It is no longer so.

The only thing that has changed since then is that I've stopped listening to my A5 through my STX which have a nice bass op-amps which I think threw my realization of what 'reference' was.

I am still however looking forward to the 'high end' GanQi bay of course but the onboard amp is a very fine amp and not bass shy IMO (anymore)

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #1,159 of 1,469
I got my hm-801 last week after a very short preorder wait. I actually tried to cancel my preorder after people sounded off about the lack of bass, but my order had shipped the day before. I am so happy I wasn't able to cancel my order...I love this player! I just had to post, to sound off on how nice the hm-801 sounds.

Firstly, let me say that to me it is not lacking in bass...although I too am listening with the westone3. I was so scared about the firmware nitpicking and other complaints and I think I set my expectations low. I must say I think the firmware is also pretty good (way better than what I expected)! There are a couple of small bugs but nothing too annoying to me. My pops when it turns on, but I just turn it on first, then insert headphones... problem solved.

I'm coming from a lowly zune30GB (playing lossless) and the diff in sound quality is night and day. I am relistening to all my music now with a huge smile on my face.

I love it, I love it, I love it....amazing sound, and I love the aesthetics - so old school but somehow elegant.

Thank you Fang!

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #1,160 of 1,469
For me, the key has been burn'in ... I have put it back on Isotek burn-in track for the weekend ...

BTW, there is plenty of volume on the pot when used with Head-Direct RE252 IEMs (they finally fit me with the comply tips)

Cheers

PS: No, the onboard amp is not as good as head direct's own EF5, but it is not bad at all - gets better with burn-in ...

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #1,161 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyAL73 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My pops when it turns on, but I just turn it on first, then insert headphones... problem solved.

From what I have been told, it is safer (for the unit) to plug in your headphones and make sure the volume is set to lowest. Then turn the unit on and then put the headphones on.

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #1,163 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody469 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I have been told, it is safer (for the unit) to plug in your headphones and make sure the volume is set to lowest. Then turn the unit on and then put the headphones on.

Thanks for the note. I will do that instead.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #1,164 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been told the new GanQi bay should be out sometime in the end of February
smily_headphones1.gif

I always thought the amp module went *within* the ganqi bay. Isn't the word "bay" more appropriately used in the context of an "enclosure" in which the module would be installed?

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #1,166 of 1,469
Quote:

New amp module, new amp bay, new gangi module.. whatever you wanna call it, a new amp is coming
smily_headphones1.gif

That's good news. I can't wait to hear reports on how it fares with IEMs.

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #1,168 of 1,469
Which comply tips did you get? The fit is kinda tough on this one..

Feb 13, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #1,169 of 1,469
Quote:

New amp module, new amp bay, new gangi module.. whatever you wanna call it, a new amp is coming
smily_headphones1.gif

Great news. Sure hopes the gain is set lower this time round. The gain on the current amp is so high by the time the dial gets past the channel imbalance, the volume gets almost too loud for my ears (using UE-10s)

Have alternated between 1) bearing with the loud music which gives me a fear of going deaf 2) using an external amp which kinda defeats the point of having this all in one player... 3) using an attenuater which sort of darkens the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back