Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Dec 26, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #991 of 1,469
Received this in an email Dec 20th because I was confirming that Head Direct had my money, address etc. and all systems were go.

"We did received your order on Sept and we will try ship your order in the next one or two weeks. "

I'd call that GREAT news.
smily_headphones1.gif
Batch #2 peeps start getting ready to receive your "state of the art" HiFiMan801 !!! I didn't actually load my 16GB card yet but I have a folder filled with 14GBs of music ready to drag and drop?

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #995 of 1,469
nankai:

I dont think you will receive it before Christmas unfortunately. We will try to ship your order before Christmas, or before the end of the year. I apologize for delay.

ANY NEWS????????please

Dec 31, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #996 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by cenamini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would anyone with the Hi-fi man have a problem with their volume? i just received my sd card, transferred the music and there doesnt seem to be any sound even at maximum volume.

Try other options: USB or coax. If there's still no sound, please contact Fang. I had similar problem and it was due to failing charger. New charger arrived and there's no problem anymore. Great service, BTW... Fang assisted quickly.

Everything works nicely now.

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #997 of 1,469
We have assembled hundreds of HM-801 players and we are doing test now. The casing vendor is slow, but finally we got the tracking number from the casing / coating factory yesterday. We will receive finished casing components on Jan 3rd. We will be able to ship finished players on Jan 5th. It seemed we will be able to finish shipping all 2nd batch orders in mid Jan.

All 2nd batch player have exactly same sound quality as 1nd batch, but Teflon metal painting and surface coating technique was improved: Hifiman LOGO on the front panel battery cover will be golden color in 2nd batch.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Dec 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #998 of 1,469
One customer complained about imbalance sound in very low volume level. This problem only happenned on very few high sensitive IEMs. Traditional volume control always have such imbalance problem at extremely low volume, but we do not want to change to digital volume control: Digital volume control sound quality is significently worse when comparing to ALPS on HM-801.

Solution: A 50 t0 75 ohm impedence cable will easily get rid of such problem.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 1, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #999 of 1,469
I would recommend different Gain options for the amp module. Even better small DIP switch to manually set the gain level so end users have a choice. (the Gan-Qi cover would have to be removed to switch the gain)

Or have an IEM suitable amp module as a choice.

-Ed

Jan 1, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #1,000 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One customer complained about imbalance sound in very low volume level. This problem only happenned on very few high sensitive IEMs. Traditional volume control always have such imbalance problem at extremely low volume, but we do not want to change to digital volume control: Digital volume control sound quality is significently worse when comparing to ALPS on HM-801.

Solution: A 50 t0 75 ohm impedence cable will easily get rid of such problem.

Would this cable change the sound from the earphones compared to not to plug it?
atsmile.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #1,001 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by windfury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this cable change the sound from the earphones compared to not to plug it?
atsmile.gif

I have experimented with a 75 ohm resistor plug and found that it improved the sound on some headphones (including the REOs) and made some phones sound worse:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f133/a...phones-446274/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...ml#post6091933

Results could vary with the amp used also. And I think HeadphoneAddict has used an external volume control with IEMs to reduce hiss with good results, so you might search through his posts.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #1,002 of 1,469
The difference would be at the very, very lower end of the Alps pot, so I never would listen at such a low level that this would be a problem, even with the lowest impedance headphones.
Is this just because people are looking for perfection or is it really standing in the way of your listening sessions?

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #1,003 of 1,469
What about the JH-13? What volume level is used with the onboard amp?

And fang, I asked in a separate thread, but you mentioned a higher end amp modules will be available from you and some other manufacturers. When is this expected? And will they be more IEM friendly (JH-13 in my case)?

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #1,005 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or have an IEM suitable amp module as a choice.

-Ed

This to me makes the most sense. I would welcome the ability to install an amp optimized for iems and would order one immediately.
Can you imagine a HiFiMan801/RSA Shadow contained in one unit? I'm drooling here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back