Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
May 17, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #91 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not likely as the manufacturer and reseller must need to make some profit even though I'm sure there wont be much profit for them in doing this product regardless of it being designed and produced in China, I simply think the market for this type of product is too small to get much economy of scales.

As for playlists this is something that you normally setup on the pc before transferring to the dap and then trasfer them together with the songs allowing you to specify a playorder of selected songs regardless of what directory they may be stored in. Some dap's also allow you to build these playlists directly on the unit.

Yes, it's a courageous experiment but think about the imod: it's a nichè device aimed only at audiophiles and especially headfiers, but there are really many units out there, and most iMod's aren't that cheaper than the hifiman.

May 17, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #92 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can not agree to you. There will be a long tutorial about why hifi fan don't like EQ, but I don't want to present it here. This player is not for non-hifi fan.

I would love to hear what makes you think so, but the simple fact is that any sort of modifications to the sound done in software such as EQ, crossfeed, DSP effects, etc is that if they are turned off, they are turned off with absolutely no effect on the audio stream. Unlike analog devices, there is no additional hardware EQ component that the signal is forced through that might degrade or otherwise change the data. By implementing it, you stand to appease a wider audience who can use EQ, while not affecting those "hifi fans" who can simply leave the EQ turned off and won't have their audio affected one bit. Like I said, this is simply how things work in the digital realm.

Quote:

Yes we are doing this. Yes we are doing this too.

I had hoped you would be, as these are basic things to do with portable devices that if not done would lead me to seriously question your firmware engineers (depending on the architecture of the SoC, of course).
wink.gif

Quote:

No we will never do this. This means worse sound quality. Hifiman Codec circuit is as complicated as any hifi CD players. Heat from filters and buffers will make the whole unit warm after playing for 20 to 30 min.

Not necessarily. I agree that there are decisions that one can take with regards to codec performance that will favor either audio quality or efficiency (not both), however there can also be other methods to make the codecs more efficient. This can be anything from something as massive as overhauling the entire codec, to something as simple as streamlining a single function. The important thing here is that one *can* modify codecs to be more efficient without sacrificing audio quality. It may not be easy, but it can be done.

Quote:

Would you please explain more about this?

That was more of a general statement that I made that I could not comment on further without overlooking the source code. However, it means tweaking anything in the core functions of the firmware as in how the kernel may work. This can include changes to how the system's resources may be manipulated, how your scheduler runs, how process threads are run, memory management, etc. The main point here is that there is always something that can be optimized to be run more efficiently/faster.

As I side note, I thank you for making the effort to reply to my post and even be around here to talk to us at all about this device. Though, I am still curious to what SoC/main processor this device is using...

May 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #93 of 1,469
Guys, I know we are hungry for information on this new "high end toy"
wink.gif
. Just see what has been going on w/ the HD800, Ed8, etc.

But perhaps we should just sit back a bit and wait till this product is about to be shipped or to CanJam 09. Then more information will be available.

I am sure looking forward to the first impressions.

May 17, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #94 of 1,469
Yeah but we're an impatient bunch!

If I could make a suggestion on the firmware, could you include a 'Now Playing' playlist?

So if I am listening to an album and I want to add another song I can just go to the song and click 'Add to now playing'.

It's not an essential feature, and it may be too late to code now, but if it's not too difficult to do it would be a very helpful feature.

Thanks for answering so many questions, it helps us make the choice and hopefully our opinions and suggestions help make the player better too!

May 19, 2009 at 10:55 AM Post #97 of 1,469
Quote:

13. About gapless playback: I have tested the time length between two wav tracks: track 5 and 6 of Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl [SOUNDTRACK] .I tried to use a stop watch to record how long the time will be, but before I finish the first touch, the track has been changed from 5 to 6. The time is shorter than my reaction time, and the average reaction time of human being is about 0.2 second. Maybe this mp3 player does surpport gapless but nobody told me this.

This is not the way to check for gapless playback. Please find a gapless album (Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon", almost any Frank Zappa, Beatles' "Abbey Road" or "Love", Brian Wilson "Smile" etc.) Do you hear any gap on those? And is it gapless on all supported codecs, or only FLAC or other lossless codecs?

May 19, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #98 of 1,469
Nankai,

When is the last date for the pre-order, please?

May 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #99 of 1,469
Interesting concept, but the lack of gapless hurts my chances of buying it. (Too much of a concept album fan.)

I am curious though, does it use folder directory structure for navigating tracks, or does it use archived file tags?

May 19, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #100 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nankai,

When is the last date for the pre-order, please?

The pre-order will finish when we have the final product in stock. We are doing a whole batch of tests now. I will keep you guys posted.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 19, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #101 of 1,469
instead of gaplass, why don't you guys just wrap them into single file?

May 19, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #102 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
instead of gaplass, why don't you guys just wrap them into single file?

Some people would have a ton of stuff to convert. Plus, you don't always want to start at the beginning of the set.

Oh hay, nice avatar.
wink.gif

May 20, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #103 of 1,469
Quote:

The pre-order will finish when we have the final product in stock. We are doing a whole batch of tests now. I will keep you guys posted.

Hi Nankai,

Any chance that you may set a definite closing deadline for the HiFiMan?

May 20, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #105 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthStar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people are unbelievable...it's now available for preorder on ebay for a mere $1206.
rolleyes.gif
Only 2x the current price from Head-Direct. Sheesh...at least there are no purchases yet...

That's a rob. Just hope that no one will be baited and the profit that goes to NanKai can eventually turn out to be better products for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back