Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
May 14, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #32 of 1,469
I wonder if you may provide a lite version that has no input but the DAC and the HP output. Then it will become a super IPod or IPod killer
beerchug.gif

Given that I may use SD cards to feed the input, I'd rather have a top HP out rather than the coax and usb inputs in the current design. However, I agree that a SD card with bigger memory size would be a very welcoming feature.

May 14, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #33 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why I can easily hear a short "gap" between difference tracks from live CD?

I certainly can't hear any gaps at track borders on things like complete operas or other cd's where one track leads directly over into the next like Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. A 1-2 second gap in these situations will completely kill the music.

And I'm not trying to diss this new product, just saying that at it's price point you will expect a lot.

May 14, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #34 of 1,469
Quote:

6. Does HiFiMAN support Gapless playback?
Currently, no. Actually we don't think Gapless playback is important, esp. when comparing to sound quality. Never heard of any CD player or Turntable support gapless playback :).

If this is meant as a joke, it's rather sad and condescending. MP3 players are the ONLY devices that don't play gapless - contrary to CDs, vinyl, MiniDisc, etc - which ALL are gapless by default, and always have been. I would expect a little more knowledge from a manufacturer, or at least a better attitude.

Live albums, operas, symphonies, soundtracks, concept albums - they all need gapless playback to not sound completely mangled. The classic example of course is Dark Side Of The Moon - just try and listen to it on an average MP3 player without gapless - it simply sucks and kills the mood.

Even the market leader, the iPod, has had gapless for the last few generations - and so does any Rockboxed player, the Zune, the Trekstor Vibez, or the Rio Karma. Not supporting it on a device that aims to be the pinnacle for true music loves will certainly not cut it. Even the best sound quality won't help if the music isn't played the way it's meant to be.

May 14, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #36 of 1,469
Possibly but I have no intention of having to process my music collection in order to use it on a new player and I don't think the primary market for this unit is mp3 files anyway. Also there are occaisions where it is handy to be able to go to a specific point in a piece of music hence the use of track numbers on the cd in the first place.

May 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #37 of 1,469
This is a very interesting announcement and I'm looking forward to additional details going forward on the amp section Nankai.

I do have to say I too am confused about the gapless remarks in respect to traditional media. Perhaps there is some misunderstanding here?

As someone whose listening preferences tend not to be affected by gapless playback in the vast majority of CDs owned, even I have to say the feature should be reconsidered here. For many it IS about sound quality, not an alternative to sacrifice. If you search back through the portable forum you'll see requests for years on this subject for some players and other dead players still coveted because for this feature.

In my case the 24/96 future support would be nice, however the few 24/96 titles I own are disproportionally affected by lack of gapless playback. Certainly I'd say the affect on musical enjoyment from the bump of 16/44 to 24/96 is minor compared to non-gapless to gapless (or perhaps the other way around as most are raised on gapless so natural) playback. High res is nice, but silence is silence.

Please reconsider, even if only (likely) specific codecs/formats.

May 14, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #38 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another question, Nankai.

Is the outer housing of the HiFiMan all Plastic, metal, or mixed metal/plastic?

(looks like injection molded plastic to me).

-Ed

It is a injection molded plastic sturcture with Aluminium panel cover on both side. Will provide larger pictures to show more detail.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 14, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #39 of 1,469
Nice concept.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #40 of 1,469
Looks intriguing, retro-ish, unique.

I really hope it does sell well. While I don't have the money for it, but I'm glad to see such an anouncement coming from Head-Direct.

By the way, I know there will be some demand for it, but Nankai, have you thought about making a matching stand for it?

It would look great as a dedicated bedside rig
smily_headphones1.gif

It certainly takes some balls to dive into the extremely small portable "audiophile" market, and I wish you the best of luck.

Samuel

May 15, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #41 of 1,469
Quote:

It is a injection molded plastic sturcture with Aluminium panel cover on both side. Will provide larger pictures to show more detail.

Excellent!

Looking forward to the bigger pics.

-Ed

May 15, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #42 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nankai, could you fill out my questions above? It would greatly helps me and a lot of Head-Fi members.

X2

May 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #43 of 1,469
Very interesting product indeed.

I will chime in as well in regards to gapless support. With the larger storage capabilities available these days, manufacturers should expect customers to keep entire CDs on their DAPs and not just selected songs. There are many CDs across many genres that contain tracks that are meant to be gapless. I listen to a lot of electronic and alternative music and many CDs contain tracks that flow from one to another. In fact, gapless support is a deal breaker for me. I refuse to own a DAP that does not support it. It is the only reason I never owned any of Iaudio's DAPs even though I like how they sound.

Regardless, I do applaud HifiMAN for giving a distinctive nod to those of us who demand audio quality in a DAP. It will be interesting to see how this unit develops and if there will be ensuing generations.

May 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #45 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you please answer if the opamps will be rollable?

FAQ
8. How much can I DIY with this ones?
I can not image how you will modify this little guy. The board is so small, and full of expensive SMD components. In addition, there is no DIP socket on the board, or anywhere in the player.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back