Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
May 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #16 of 1,469
Interesting player indeed!
smile.gif

With the user switchable battery and memory card slot its quite capable. Apple Lossless support would be nice though. *hint*

May 13, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 1,469
Wow this looks pretty cool, only issue is right now at least SDHC cards are limited to 32 GB. but in a year or so when 128GB sdhc cards are out this player would do nicely. I will probably pick one up some time after launch.

Great idea of a real Audiophile portable device.

May 14, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #18 of 1,469
I think it would be helpful to put a link to jude's review on the first post of this thread.

Of course this has to be announced not too long after I "finalized" my portable rig.
tongue.gif

A suggestion to make it a bit cheaper/more attractive is to perhaps put it up for sale on eBay (through an American account). Currently, eBay Live Search cashback is at 8% ($48 off) but it fluctuates sometimes and could go up (or maybe down) in June, for additional savings.

It's a win-win situation for both HiFiMAN and the consumer.
wink.gif

May 14, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #19 of 1,469
Nankai,

Have you ever heard of the Rockbox project? Allowing the Rockbox developers full specifications and supporting this project will give you a giant (Well, nothing's giant in this niche of DAPs) support group. Rockbox developers have wanted to get in touch with a company for some time, and this is a project that's almost inherently suited for Rockbox use.

Please consider it.

May 14, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #20 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow this looks pretty cool, only issue is right now at least SDHC cards are limited to 32 GB. but in a year or so when 128GB sdhc cards are out this player would do nicely. I will probably pick one up some time after launch.

Great idea of a real Audiophile portable device.

There will never be a SDHC card larger than 32GB. The official specs for SDHC end there. All larger cards will be the next-gen SDXC. So the advertisement appears to be a bit misleading.

May 14, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #21 of 1,469
Wow, very interesting.

I'm surprised there aren't more boutique, audiophile quality mp3 players like this. Attach portable memory, an LCD screen, have the Rockbox community provide the software and you're on to something good. I think there will be lots of these in the future, and the HM-901 will be even better.

As for the hm-801, I'm REALLY REALLY interested. I'm DYING for an mp3 player with low noise for my UE-11's. Before I plonk down my $600, I'm wondering: The biggest issue for me will be on the interactive side:

1. How's the UI? Can you post a video of the player in operation?
2. How complicated will it be to use?
3. How will we transfer tracks to the player? Can we connect it via USB or is a separate card reader required?
4. Is an SDHC card included? Could it be a bonus for people who pre-order?
5. Those buttons look kinda fiddly, is there a hold switch?
6. Does the price include global shipping?
7. Is there some kind of guarantee, I'd hate to pay now and then be plagued by endless delays as the player turns in to vaporware(sorry for being pessimistic but it is $600!)?

I'm sure everyone here is looking forward to hearing more, so keep us updated and goodluck with the manufacturing process!

May 14, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 1,469
why on earth wasn't the pcm1704u-k used?!??...same chip but with tighter specs...Cary, Wadia and a few others changed their 1704-based models to 1704u-k many moons ago...

i hope it wasn't due to cost, given the $600...availability issues?...

(this is me asking if i can order a custom model
tongue_smile.gif
) -- interesting product...

May 14, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #24 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There will never be a SDHC card larger than 32GB. The official specs for SDHC end there. All larger cards will be the next-gen SDXC. So the advertisement appears to be a bit misleading.

Sorry for my mistake. AD modified.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 14, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #25 of 1,469
What would be interesting to me is to make the amp section completely optional and thus reduce initial price.
This would allow to jump on board for the portable player to use via an external portable amp and upgrade to 'built-in amp module/section' later on for size convenience.

May 14, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #26 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5. why is the coaxial had lower freq than the USB?
Coaxial freq change on HM-801 require "relay switch" which is impossible to install into a portable device.

The iBasso D10 supports 24/96 on the coax and optical input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6. Does HiFiMAN support Gapless playback? Does HiFiMAN support ALAC?
Currently, no. Actually we don't think Gapless playback is important, esp. when comparing to sound quality. Never heard of any CD player or Turntable support gapless playback :). We will try to support ALAC and gapless in the future via software upgrading anyway.

Gapless is essential on a lot of classical works, live recordings of any genre and a lot of other pieces. All cd players support gapless and a number of daps do as well.

Only 32 GB of storage now is not good. It is beginning to look less and less attractive and to looks as it is going to have a real problem competing with a iRiver H-1xx with RockBox feeding an iBasso D10 through optical.

May 14, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #27 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iBasso D10 supports 24/96 on the coax and optical input.

We don't think WM8740 in D10 is good enough. Higher bit or better sound quality?

Quote:

All cd players support gapless and a number of daps do as well.

Why I can easily hear a short "gap" between difference tracks from live CD?

Quote:

Only 32 GB of storage now is not good. It is beginning to look less and less attractive and to looks as it is going to have a real problem competing with a iRiver H-1xx with RockBox feeding an iBasso D10 through optical.

Hard drive need too much energy. More storage or Hi-Fi? If you feel your SD card is not enough, then buy another SD card. Btw, all Hi-end CD players are single disc.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 14, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #30 of 1,469
Quote:

A HDD in an iRiver is insanely noisy compared to solid state. Most of those that have maxxed out modding their iRiver iHP-1xx series, have done the 32GB CF card mod. The HiFiMan easily beats out the iRiver in capacity as you can always carry more SDHC cards. And prices of SDHC cards are dropping faster than CF.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back