Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Aug 17, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #331 of 1,469
I thought it could be powered via USB..? What's the need for a big chunk of a battery then?

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #332 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it could be powered via USB..? What's the need for a big chunk of a battery then?

Not making any claims whatsoever of expertise, but as I understand it, doing without USB is a move in the hi'er fi direction. Refer to devices such as the Bel Canto USB-link, with a price tag in the region of the hifiman's.

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #333 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not what I had in mind. Like I said, form factor not important; meaning an entirely external pack, of high capacity primarily for dedicated desktop use. The AC adapter might be smaller for whatever that's worth, but would the power be as clean?

Economically, some of the appeal for me with this player is the double duty portable/desktop. Replacing other desktop DACs and players (foobar) I would be interested in every possibility to make the best out of it.

It's going to be my desktop rig as well as portable, but again, I see no need for an extended battery for desktop use. Unless you are using a portable desk strapped to your desk, your desk should be within the reach of an AC outlet, correct? If you're going to be letting the HM-801 sit on a desk, why not plug it in?

-Ed

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #334 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not enough power via USB to power it without compromises to sound quality. Namely, there are +/- voltage rails, which would require conversion (rail splitter) and boost among other things.

-Ed

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #335 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's going to be my desktop rig as well as portable, but again, I see no need for an extended battery for desktop use. Unless you are using a portable desk strapped to your desk, your desk should be within the reach of an AC outlet, correct? If you're going to be letting the HM-801 sit on a desk, why not plug it in?

-Ed

AC vs battery as a question of quality; clean power. But I already said that, and that's neither new nor specific to the Hifiman.

Unless, of course, it somehow is.

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #336 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by spahn_ranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AC vs battery as a question of quality; clean power. But I already said that, and that's neither new nor specific to the Hifiman.

Unless, of course, it somehow is.

Hot swapping batteries with my before mentioned use of an external battery charger (please make it, Fang,
wink.gif
) will cover that.

Otherwise, just get a big Lead Acid battery external power supply made then.

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #337 of 1,469
Has anyone who has already paid for their HiFiMAN (paypal) received an email or any acknowledgment of their order?

I bought and paid for mine on 5/17, and would like to hear something of my order.

I do not care that the product is delayed. As long as it sounds good, I can wait.

Anyone hear anything?

Fang and co, this email is not meant as an insult to you and your company. It's just that I spent $600.00 US and I have sent two emails reguarding my purchase. I have not heard anything.

Take your time and make this player right, but at least let me know my order is accepted and that the player is coming when it's ready.

Thank you.

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #338 of 1,469
rxxdoc,
You had better to send such a private message directly to the official address of Head Direct, not to this forum.
A great moderator will get angry and may delete your message.

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #339 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxxdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone who has already paid for their HiFiMAN (paypal) received an email or any acknowledgment of their order?

I bought and paid for mine on 5/17, and would like to hear something of my order.

I do not care that the product is delayed. As long as it sounds good, I can wait.

Anyone hear anything?

Fang and co, this email is not meant as an insult to you and your company. It's just that I spent $600.00 US and I have sent two emails reguarding my purchase. I have not heard anything.

I think Fang mentioned that the first batch will be delivered after 25 Aug.
Take your time and make this player right, but at least let me know my order is accepted and that the player is coming when it's ready.

Thank you.

I think Fang mentioned that the first batch will be delivered after 25 Aug.

Aug 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #340 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dai_U /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A great moderator will get angry and may delete your message.

I'm a great moderator (self-titled) and I'm not angry
tongue.gif

Aug 20, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #341 of 1,469
What we have done

We have finished PCB board, battery, LCD, accessory, power supply, etc.. last week. We have assembled two final product samples with PCM1704UK: much better than the hand soldering PCM1704U prototype Jude listen to. We have finished 48hrs continuous working test. We have finished battery test and the battery life is more than 8 hours (non-stop, 24 ohm load, normal volume). We are proud of 103db S/N test result at only 1.3v line out voltage (equal to 110 db at standard 3v). It seemed we will be able to ship the first batch in time.

Why we delay another week

However, we decide to delay another week because we wish to do the last improvement: paint. Because anodic oxidation surface is very easy to have scratch problem, we decide to try teflon metal paint. Teflon metal paint will provide 5H hardness, resistance to chemical corrosion and 300C (or 572F) high temperature. Teflon surface will be polished as well. We will receive finished casing sample from our supplier in next 48 hours. If everything is all right, we will post a picture soon.

Firmware

As a brand new product, hifiman firmware will still be beta version in the first two or three month. We know it is difficult to make everybody happy, but we will try. Another very important issue is 24bit 96/88.2 FLAC replay: It is impossible to get all 24bit FLAC tracks and test them at our player. I wish our customers could report us if you find a track that has problem to replay. After received your email, we will download that track immediately and solve the problem at the next firmware update.

Other details

We will email tracking number and HDtracks coupon to the first 10 to 20 customers at the end of August. We will ship the first batch on Aug 31 or Sept 1st via Express mail from China. We will ship 20 to 30 pcs per week in Sept. We will do larger amount after Sept.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Aug 20, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #342 of 1,469
I do not mean disrespect to Fang and company.

In the past, I have bought other products from large companies and had my order lost in cyberspace. I had been charged by other companies, but no product was delievered. One very large software company took over 1 year for me to get my money back from them.

I apologize for posting and can and will delete my posts if they are offensive. I know you are a small and new company and you are still getting your product together. Again, take your time and get it right.

Again Fang and company, I do not want to offend you or anyone else. I was just wondering if perhaps my order was somehow messed up.

Sorry again if you or anyone is upset or insulted.

Aug 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #343 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxxdoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not mean disrespect to Fang and company.

In the past, I have bought other products from large companies and had my order lost in cyberspace. I had been charged by other companies, but no product was delievered. One very large software company took over 1 year for me to get my money back from them.

I apologize for posting and can and will delete my posts if they are offensive. I know you are a small and new company and you are still getting your product together. Again, take your time and get it right.

Again Fang and company, I do not want to offend you or anyone else. I was just wondering if perhaps my order was somehow messed up.

Sorry again if you or anyone is upset or insulted.

Don't understand why you didn't email us.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Aug 20, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #345 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great news Fang! Everyone is very excited for this awesome product.

+1. cannot wait, fingers crossed i get a *UK* chip to put the icing on the cake
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back