Updated: HifiMAN HM-801 Portable Music Player Preorder
Aug 12, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #316 of 1,469
I found PCM1704U datasheet where you can see detailed specs.

Details and datasheet on part: PCM1704U-K/2K

I hope there's no copyright issue
ph34r.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #317 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by petercak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found PCM1704U datasheet where you can see detailed specs.

Details and datasheet on part: PCM1704U-K/2K

I hope there's no copyright issue
ph34r.gif

Awesome, thanks to jelt2359 & petercak for their research
wink.gif

now that we know more and more about the difference of U and UK

plus UK chip still available, i wish Fang can use UK chip for all the 1st batch~ it would really mean a lot, so please ~~~~~ use the UK chip for us 1st batch
smily_headphones1.gif

my valid reason ? funny i did a google search yesterday and realize even though Hifiman are highly regarded and receive good words from judging by the spec (non of the IT site such as gizmodo have even gone through the trouble to test it as non of them go to the meet ~ they all just copy and paste the spec and word of mouths only !! )but almost all of them think people who buy hifiman are crazy bunch and Hifiman will not survive in the market ~ so they basically laugh at us! and priced to extinct

new and new mp3 player are coming out such as Zune HD though albeit they are only consumer level and no where near as hardcore as Hifiman~

but man i really wish we 1st batch buyer being rewarded by Fang as we really put in our support as only few heared the Hifiman in the meet , rest of us are all just have faith in the product! some even still fighting and argue about why hifiman dont have storage issue etc etc
wink.gif

soon some will receive the hifiman and start giving words out there and follow up will come through but heck that isnt really fair at all as 1st batch order were really struggle for months there they have to be laugh or question about their purchase decision wise or not ?? ( dont blame me for late coming as i joined the site only 28/7 and that really is about when i start to touch about Audio! and on the same level i m same as any one who have faith in the product just by word of mouth and review and suffer the same struggle even though i m new to the Audio world, so there should be no discrimination !)

so if Fang can get his hand on UK chip and with his ability and budget, it would be awesome to use them all in 1st batch ~ words of mouth will start spread after its out
wink.gif
then rest will be history !!

whether Hifiman will survive or not like the critics and general public says, at least it existed !! so lets make the 1st batch a legendary one !!

there will be HF-802 or 80X or even HF-xxxx but like i said rest is history
wink.gif
i m already proud to be 1st batch and 1st of its kind ! it's a revolutionary product like R10 or Orpheus in MP3 (i think we do agree that HF801 sets a pretty high bar for late comer dont we ? ). and i m sure later others join to manufacture similar product might start to discover the price range and might scale down to cater people with less budget etc and until new invention, i m sure HF-801 r here to stay and stand as standard for comparison for a while in MP3 world
wink.gif

so i picture myself to have mine display in Australia and later malaysia lol hahaha bit of personal touch to signify the difference and unique limited make of it is what makes us stand out ~ right guys ??

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #319 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piejesu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to understand this opinion...

didnt matter ~ i just cant wait for my new toy to come, how about you ? you joined us yet ?? simple as that
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #320 of 1,469
Here is the comparison between UK and U (from the other Hifiman thread) :

typical dynamic range : 112 dB for UK , 110 dB for U
typical THD+N distorsion @ 0 dB : 0.0008 % for UK, 0.0025 % for U
typical THD+N distorsion @ -20 dB : 0.0060 % for UK, 0.0080 % for U

(see this post for more information)

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #325 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to be the devils advocate here, but it seems kinda chunky, reminds me of the cassette players from the 90s. Lots of people here who want a high quality media player without the extraneous amps and dacs are the same people who dont want to carry around a brick in the pocket (me being one of them).

In my eyes, an iPod Video, along with one of the new, soon to be released, smaller portable amps, such as the Pico Slim or RSA Shadow, is a much much more portable option. Realistically, this thing is about the size of an iPod Touch with a Pico or Predator.

Maybe the HifiMAN will blow the previously stated combos away, and will make it worth having a brick in your pocket. Until then though, I will keep my $600 and spend it on other gear.

trust your instinct~ believe in yourself~ buy a Ipod and stay away from hifiman
wink.gif
i m being sarcastic

alright, gotta put off the flame here ~ its all about personal choice !! people have been suffered from flexibility and sound quality or even wallet in the past ~ at least hifiman is point to a right direction
wink.gif
it provides flexibility with storage and battery exchangeable, while keep the spec to it possibly can and mark the price lower than all three combine~

if you want the shinny shinny factor and chick flicks eye catching candy bar, go with zune HD or your fruit ~ how ever i m sure me and my HiFiMan will still be chick magnet , or is it just me ?? nah, i m sure HiFiMan is my new perfume ??

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #327 of 1,469
Hi, Fang.

Can you make a portable external battery charger like Samsung Cellphone ones?

(doesn't have to look like this Samsung one could be styled to match the HM-801, but same basic form factor as the Samsung battery charger, pop top lid)

oem-samsung-instinct-m800-spare-battery-charger-cradle--abcc778bba-.jpg

abcc778bba_2.jpg

Basically it's a case with charging circuitry inside (if it's not in the battery), and you plug the standard AC adapter into it.

It also serves as a protective carrying case. So not only can we charge an extra battery while we're using the HM-801, we can use it to carry the extra battery around. Allows us to hot swap batteries.

-Ed

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #329 of 1,469
It's not worth having a bigger battery that would require a new battery door and make the HM-801 larger when you can just plug in the AC Adapter for desktop use.

I'd rather have two standard batteries and hot swap if I wanted to use battery power only. That's where a dedicated battery charger comes in.

If worried about killing the battery, it might be possible to run the HM-801 off of the AC adapter only, no battery inside.

Fang, is it possible to operate the HM-801 without a battery inside, with the AC Adapter attached?

-Ed

Aug 17, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #330 of 1,469
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not worth having a bigger battery that would require a new battery door and make the HM-801 larger when you can just plug in the AC Adapter for desktop use.

That's not what I had in mind. Like I said, form factor not important; meaning an entirely external pack, of high capacity primarily for dedicated desktop use. The AC adapter might be smaller for whatever that's worth, but would the power be as clean?

Economically, some of the appeal for me with this player is the double duty portable/desktop. Replacing other desktop DACs and players (foobar) I would be interested in every possibility to make the best out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back