UPDATE! CAPACITY RAISE! - SF meet Saturday Nov. 7th - We have a venue and date! It's really happening! CAPACITY RAISE!! WE CAN TAKE 20 MORE PEOPLE!
Oct 26, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #216 of 329
Does anyone who is coming have a Grado RS-1 that they wouldn't mind bringing? I'd really like to hear it again off of some of the amps that are going to show up at the meet.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #217 of 329
  I would be interested in trying those two IEMs. I'm not sure if there's any interest in those other items unless somebody else is - otherwise just come to explore the other gear

Might be a dumb question but do people typically bring their own sources e.g. laptop, phone, dap, etc or do most people setup their own listening 'stations' to use?

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #218 of 329
Usually people bring their own source if they have a nice amp they want to connect it to for demo-ing. It can also be helpful if you have specific songs that you're used to and want to use them to demo on other headphones / amps.

I usually bring an SD card & CD of about a dozen of my favorite well-mastered test tracks (in FLAC quality), so I can test the sonic performance of some of the systems there, but it's also helpful to bring a laptop or DAP.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #219 of 329
If you only bring headphones, then you can always pair with someone who brought their own source at use one table together. People who are bringing DACs/amps should really have their own sources though.

I specifically don't own any FLAC quality music or any CDs, but I'll definitely be bringing my own laptop that has an optical drive and an SD card reader. I'd personally rather has people demo my equipment with their own songs that they are used to, so that they could have something they are familiar with listening to with their equipment for a better comparison. Although, I think that I will load up specific songs and videos on YouTube to benchmark both bass and soundstage respectively.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #220 of 329
Since there's some discussion around sources, it seems like a good time to voice my thoughts on the matter. 

PLEASE SWEET MOTHER OF GOD BRING YOUR OWN SOURCE. 

Been to tons of meet-ups full of sick headphones, DACs, Amps, etc, only to have people swapping laptops and waiting in line because of source limitations. Or my personal favorite, when you're the only guy with a good source laptop, and someone comes up to ask "Hey do you have the driver for my ChordBenchmarkWooGraceSabreR2R? Oh you don't? Can you download it real quick?". Nah man, I don't want to download your crazy driver so you can listen to my SACD rip of John Cena (got you guys, heh). 

That's changed in recent years with the introduction of audiophile DAPs, but still, If you're bringing a system, pls bring a source. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #221 of 329
Songs uploaded to Youtube have been significantly re-encoded / compressed, sometimes multiple times, until the point where the dynamics / soundstage / FR response have been lost in translation - and IMO should never be used to bechmark audiophile grade equipment. Some of us do however share songs with Youtube, but that's only meant to 'preview' the song, and does nothing to support the artist. On the other hand, Tidal has lossless streaming, which many Head-Fi'ers use, as well as a few DSD download sites which are even greater resolution than WAV PCM, or you can buy dirt-cheap used CD's off of Discogs and rip them on your PC to lossless formats such as FLAC... just needed to vent this, as I have seen DRAMATIC improvement using hi-fi audio gear with lossless versus lossy files over the last 7+ years that I have done numerous comparisons between formats (AAC/MP3/OGG versus PCM). So basically file size does matter - but far better results with well mastered music.

On a related note, yes the sponsor of this event has confirmed we will have wi-fi.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #222 of 329
  Songs uploaded to Youtube have been significantly re-encoded / compressed, sometimes multiple times, until the point where the dynamics / soundstage / FR response have been lost in translation - and IMO should never be used to bechmark audiophile grade equipment. Some of us do however share songs with Youtube, but that's only meant to 'preview' the song, and does nothing to support the artist. On the other hand, Tidal has lossless streaming, which many Head-Fi'ers use, as well as a few DSD download sites which are even greater resolution than WAV PCM, or you can buy dirt-cheap used CD's off of Discogs and rip them on your PC to lossless formats such as FLAC... just needed to vent this, as I have seen DRAMATIC improvement using hi-fi audio gear with lossless versus lossy files over the last 7+ years that I have done numerous comparisons between formats (AAC/MP3/OGG versus PCM). So basically file size does matter - but far better results with well mastered music.

On a related note, yes the sponsor of this event has confirmed we will have wi-fi.

Unfortunately, most of the OSTs (I mostly listen to OSTs) that I have or listen to are or would be found as plain mp3 files (256 or 320kbps, 44100Hz) anyways. So, Youtube really isn't that bad in comparison: http://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/youtube-audio-quality-bitrate-240p-360p-480p-720p-1080p  

I got to say that songs are a fair bit loader when being played off of foobar vs youtube though. Not that anyone would ever want to listen to these tracks on max volume. Also a lot a tracks have been slightly sonically altered as to not get automatically copyright striked by the Youtube algorithm.

Oct 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #224 of 329
  What about IEM hygiene, does $20 admission cover a variety of Comply tips or something?

I think that most people will either be bringing their own, or each table will supply one for what they have to demo. Also: alcohol wipes. And admission is free, but you'll have to find your own parking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back