UPDATE! CAPACITY RAISE! - SF meet Saturday Nov. 7th - We have a venue and date! It's really happening! CAPACITY RAISE!! WE CAN TAKE 20 MORE PEOPLE!
Oct 22, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #181 of 329
  looks like we're full up.  anyone else signing up will go to the wait list, if you have to drop out, please let us know ASAP so we can fill your slot with someone who can attend.  Thanks.

is that including all of our plus ones?

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #183 of 329
WOW, I'm so psyched about this: GMB DAC, many other under-appreciated yet legit seeming amps, two SR-009 systems, HE-6, under-appreciated IEM's, home-made headphones, and an as-of-yet unnamed batch of prototype gear. Now I'm not sure if I speak for everybody, but it looks like you guys are some real innovative rebel DIY-'ers that realise that good sound does not have to be determined by a high price.

That would also be cool to compare the Speedball Crack to any of the Glenn or Eddie Current amps. Wasn't there someone here who said they have an EC amp?

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #184 of 329
I'm debating adding a few more mods to my crack/speedball before the meet.

Oct 23, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #185 of 329
Attended an Audio High Chord & Estelon Event in Mountain View this evening where Rob Watts, designer of Chord's DACs, gave a presentation on the new Dave and Mojo DACs. The portable Mojo is touted as having close to Hugo performance, but at a $600 price point. That certainly had me intrigued. I didn't hear the Mojo, but I couldn't resist and I placed an order. If it arrives in time for the meet, I'll bring it along.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #186 of 329
Attended an Audio High Chord & Estelon Event in Mountain View this evening where Rob Watts, designer of Chord's DACs, gave a presentation on the new Dave and Mojo DACs. The portable Mojo is touted as having close to Hugo performance, but at a $600 price point. That certainly had me intrigued. I didn't hear the Mojo, but I couldn't resist and I placed an order. If it arrives in time for the meet, I'll bring it along.

What's the difference between the Dave and Mojo?

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #187 of 329
You can try Sony MDR-Z7. I wish I could come so that you can try it yourself.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #188 of 329
What's the difference between the Dave and Mojo?

DAVE (Digital to Analogue Veritas in Extremis) is Chord's latest statement product that's a combination DAC, digital preamp, and headphone amp which, I believe, will retail for $12.5k. It replaces their Chord QBD76 HDSD DAC.

The Mojo is a portable DAC/headphone amp the size of a pack of cigarettes. It uses a new powerful Xilinx Artix-7 FPGA (Field-programmable gate array) and it was said to share some of the code used by the Hugo. The Mojo is capable of playing up to 768kHz 32bit, and quad DSD 256 files.  A review of the Mojo by x RELIC x is here.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #189 of 329

DAVE (Digital to Analogue Veritas in Extremis) is Chord's latest statement product that's a combination DAC, digital preamp, and headphone amp which, I believe, will retail for $12.5k. It replaces their Chord QBD76 HDSD DAC.

The Mojo is a portable DAC/headphone amp the size of a pack of cigarettes. It uses a new powerful Xilinx Artix-7 FPGA (Field-programmable gate array) and it was said to share some of the code used by the Hugo. The Mojo is capable of playing up to 768kHz 32bit, and quad DSD 256 files.  A review of the Mojo by x RELIC x is here.

yep, safe to say I'll be very interested to hear the Mojo if you get it in time.  Always chord stuff, but their prices kept me away.

Oct 23, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #190 of 329
I admire the build quality / design of Chord products, but both myself and others have found other similar products that we thought to be superior sonically, at a lower price. I would suggest you folks would to several (volume matched) A/B comparisons of the Mojo against other similar DAC / portable amps, in order to eliminate any expectation bias / new toy syndrome. Or even compare it to some TOTL rigs.

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #191 of 329
I'd love to be on the waitlist if another spot opens up.

I don't plan on bringing any gear besides my HD600/650s. I can bring the Yggy on request if someone would like to plug it in to their rig.

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #193 of 329
  I admire the build quality / design of Chord products, but both myself and others have found other similar products that we thought to be superior sonically, at a lower price. I would suggest you folks would to several (volume matched) A/B comparisons of the Mojo against other similar DAC / portable amps, in order to eliminate any expectation bias / new toy syndrome. Or even compare it to some TOTL rigs.

We could always do blind tests. It seems as though there will be a quite a few portable DAC/amps at the meet that we could test against each other.

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #194 of 329

Once the Mojo arrives, I certainly intend to run a few comparisons against equipment I own. I've never auditioned Chord equipment, so I'm looking forward to hearing how well the Mojo fairs against the ifi Micro iDSD, as well as against other DAC/amps. I'm always keen on discovering new low cost, high value products which is why I find Schiit products so attractive.

I'm curious, what other similar, or lower priced, DAC/amps would you suggest we include in a Mojo shootout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back