UPCOMING Little Dot DAC
Dec 18, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #301 of 411
Better pics of the DAC_II at @ С²»µã¶ú·ÅÐÂÆ·ÓÅ»ÝÔ¤¶¨£ºDAC II & MT+£¨ÓÅ»ÝÓÐЧÆÚÖÁ12ÔÂ20ÈÕ½ØÖ¹£© @ ¶ú»ú´ó¼Ò̳ ¶ú»ú,¶úÈû,¶ú»ú·Å´óÆ÷,ËæÉíÌý,DIY,ÒôÀÖ

Didn't know the II does not have XLR balanced out..oh well
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #302 of 411
oatmeal769, what are you using for transport from your computer to the DAC_I?

I'm curious on h ow the DAC_I holds up against the other $100-$300 range DACs such as Zero, KECES, etc.

Cheers.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #303 of 411
Dec 18, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #305 of 411
Quote:

Originally Posted by lh0628 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oatmeal769, what are you using for transport from your computer to the DAC_I?
I'm curious on h ow the DAC_I holds up against the other $100-$300 range DACs such as Zero, KECES, etc.

I use a coax cable from Blue Jeans. Works wonderfully, looks good, and is extremely economical.

I have not objectively tested it yet, But I'm going to guess this DAC will stand toe to toe with any of the $1K - $1.5K Dac's I've heard. Subjectively, it sounds punchy, live and clean with very focused and round low end - FWIW.

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #306 of 411
Thanks, $1K-$1.5K eh, that means a lot.

The question I meant was which sound card are you using on your computer?

Thanks.

I'm seriously considering getting the DAC_I and the MKIII, and then I'll need a sound card as well. Doubling my original budget...

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #309 of 411
Quote:

Thanks, $1K-$1.5K eh, that means a lot.

The question I meant was which sound card are you using on your computer?

Thanks.

I'm seriously considering getting the DAC_I and the MKIII, and then I'll need a sound card as well. Doubling my original budget...

OHHhhhh. Sorry!
That's the beauty - you don't necessarily NEED a soundcard. As long as your computer has an optical, or coaxial output, it's all good - Assuming you aren't changing the data inside the computer itself by the time it gets to the DAC.
I use an Emu 1212M for recording, and analog output, but for digital, I just use the MoBo's on-board coax output.

Sometime after the Holidays, I'm going to do an objective test against the ZERO, and PS Audio DL-III along with the E-Mu 1212M. I think the LD unit will do very well. It just takes a while to 'do it right' and I don't have time right now.

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #310 of 411
I think The DAC 1 and Mark III would be an outstanding start. I would think that if you order both simultaneously, you will save $40 or $50 on shipping. Ask David directly if that will work.

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #312 of 411
Hey no worries, thanks for the answer.

I've read from quite a few sources that even though they are all digital out, the onboard's coax wouldn't be as good as a dedicated sound card. Some to try if you have a spare card laying around.

How does the USB in compare to the coax/optical on the DAC_I?

I just pulled a trigger on a NuForce uDAC after reading HPA's review, I just couldn't resist the $99 price tag... Still I'd like to get a MKIII and hopefully a DAC_I some day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oatmeal769 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OHHhhhh. Sorry!
That's the beauty - you don't necessarily NEED a soundcard. As long as your computer has an optical, or coaxial output, it's all good - Assuming you aren't changing the data inside the computer itself by the time it gets to the DAC.
I use an Emu 1212M for recording, and analog output, but for digital, I just use the MoBo's on-board coax output.

Sometime after the Holidays, I'm going to do an objective test against the ZERO, and PS Audio DL-III along with the E-Mu 1212M. I think the LD unit will do very well. It just takes a while to 'do it right' and I don't have time right now.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #313 of 411
Quote:

I've read from quite a few sources that even though they are all digital out, the onboard's coax wouldn't be as good as a dedicated sound card. Some to try if you have a spare card laying around.

Those sources would be wrong. Digital information is just that. As long as the stream remains unchanged, you get exactly what you put into it regardless of source. People will talk to death about jitter, and cable reflections among other things. Some of these may indeed be measurable, but there is no human ear that can tell a difference. Any audible difference that might exist is likely volume change, etc. If any of those items are indeed bad enough to cause audible changes, trust me, a nearly deaf guy could hear it. Digital distortion, clipping, and drop-outs are by no means subtle.

Quote:

How does the USB in compare to the coax/optical on the DAC_I?

I like the coax because it just 'works'. I don't need to worry about usb issues, drivers, etc., and it's more reliable over distance than optical, as well as less expensive.
There also seems to be some talk about people having an easier time outputting a 'bit perfect' stream with coax over usb, but I don't know that for certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back