Upcoming Beyerdynamic Headphones - Custom One Tesla, Custom One Studio, T51p and amp A20
Nov 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #166 of 234
They were back-ordered on the Beyer website, so I had to search around. Found them for $255 at ProAudioStar.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #167 of 234
I'm also intrested in the t51p.
I tried the t50p and it was a big fail for me. I wasn't able to get a proper seal,
so the sound was unacceptable.
I think with new pads t51p adressed this issue?
Thought the pads and cable are still not exchangeable?

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #168 of 234
Never tried the t50p..between dt1350 and t51p i never actually tested the seal level...but i think dt1350 might have done better on this. The pads on dt1350 is flatter and they clamp tighter..once fit correctly..they seal pretty well. The t51p is more focusing on comfort level i guess. The pads thicker and softer also the clamping force is soft. Once they fit on my head..i feel almost nothing. And what i like about the fitting..actually they are easier to adjust on the head of being correctly fitted on ears. Not like dt1350 which i always need somekind of precise fitting ceremony everytime i wear them.

The sound of t51p i think is very nice. I think it won't let people down. But the cable..is not exchangable. They are fixed into the cup. But i think they pretty well made and hopefully will last longer too.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #169 of 234
I don't like T50p's soft grip, so I bent my T50p's headband for a tighter fit and improved isolation.  You wouldn't know it if you saw it, unless you are very familiar with its original shape or have an unmodified one on hand to compare.

Why did they stick with using the same wimpy, crapulent cable on T51p?  I would have to recable it after accidentally snagging it twice or so.  Pain in the arse.  Even $5 Cobys have a better one.
Not sure that I might like it in the first place if it has warmer mids and treble.  It doesn't need such a change in the least, or worse, it is to offset the upper midrange dip on the original model.  It would have been nice if they could do away with the dip without "warming up" the sound beyond what it already was.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #170 of 234
  I don't like T50p's soft grip, so I bent my T50p's headband for a tighter fit and improved isolation.  You wouldn't know it if you saw it, unless you are very familiar with its original shape or have an unmodified one on hand to compare.

Why did they stick with using the same wimpy, crapulent cable on T51p?  I would have to recable it after accidentally snagging it twice or so.  Pain in the arse.  Even $5 Cobys have a better one.
Not sure that I might like it in the first place if it has warmer mids and treble.  It doesn't need such a change in the least, or worse, it is to offset the upper midrange dip on the original model.  It would have been nice if they could do away with the dip without "warming up" the sound beyond what it already was.

Have you actually had to re-cable it or are you just assuming you will? If its the same cable as the DT1350, it may look thin and weak but its actually extremely durable. Its a steel cable that's specifically designed to survive the accidental yanks that happen in studio/DJ/professional applications.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the T50p/T51p might be using a different, weaker cable than the DT1350 is. Does anyone know?

Nov 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #171 of 234
Yes, I've recabled mine as well as a local fellow's.  See my Default album.

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #173 of 234
Same as swiftus, want to know more about the new T51p

Feb 9, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #174 of 234
Reviews on T51p already exist on head-fi.

Feb 17, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #175 of 234
This thread should be renamed to the Offical T51p thread. There is no Custom One Tesla this year. This is coming straight from a contact at Beyer Germany. Sorry guys. Really sucks, I know.....

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #178 of 234
In theory, someone could order some replacement tesla drivers and pop them into the Custom One shell...

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #179 of 234
  This thread should be renamed to the Offical T51p thread. There is no Custom One Tesla this year. This is coming straight from a contact at Beyer Germany. Sorry guys. Really sucks, I know.....

Did they also cancel production of the Custom One™ Studio™?  I need a medium-impedance headphone for my Asus® CM1630-06 on account of the XONAR® Essence™ STX™, and the Studio was one of the candidates for my rig.

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #180 of 234
I recently bought both the dt1350 and the T51p, and ended up returning the 1350. I'm not fluent in Hz and kHz, so I'll do my best with regular words.

Wanting new phones for my office and commute, I bought the 1350's first, based on the many good reviews, including InnerFidelity. Maybe I got a bad pair (which I gather is possible), but they just didn't sound very musical to me. There was a distinct, papery, tinny "transistor radio" quality to snare drums and voices. On some jazz recordings, saxophones sounded a bit kazoo-like. I'm quite sure I had a good seal, because the bass impact and extension were excellent, almost too much for me at times. Kick drums hit me hard right at the base of my skull. But when I'd compare to my HD650 (not an apples to apples comparison, admittedly), I just settled back into the lush, musical sound that I wanted to hear.

Out of curiosity, I went and got the T51p, and they were immediately and obviously much more musical and enjoyable than the dt1350. One of my test passages is the opening of Randy Newman's "Sail Away," and the horns sounded bell-clear and distinctly placed, as opposed to the flatter (physically, not in the EQ sense) sound of the dt1350. A few more hours of listening, and the T51p was the obvious winner. The bass in the T51p isn't quite as clear and controlled as the 1350, but in every other way, I liked them more.

Maybe it's a "pro monitoring" vs "consumer listening" voicing? I don't know enough to know. I'm tempted to buy another pair of 1350's to see if maybe my first pair was wonky, especially since they're $100 cheaper right now. But I'll probably stick with the T51p.

A few other things to note:
- Build quality is excellent on both, but the 1350 in particular seems indestructible.
- T51p is slightly but noticeably lighter on the head, I think because they lack the hinge mechanisms that allow for one-ear listening on the dt1350.
- Isolation is slightly but noticeably better in the 1350. They clamp tighter, and the ear cushions are a denser, firmer material. T51p isolation is quite good, but I'm tempted to order a pair of dt1350 cushions to see if they improve my listening on the subway. Neither are too far behind my Westone um3x.
- T51p is more comfortable, especially since I wear glasses. The clamp of the 1350 became unbearable for me after about 90 mins. Without my glasses, though, it was fine. 
- The T51p headband has perplexingly sharp edges. Careful!

I'm surprised at how little chatter there is about the T51p, because for their size and price, they're pretty great. 

Curious if anyone else has compared them with the 1350, and what your experience was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back