Unveiled: Meet the HD 620S
May 15, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #241 of 671
I auditioned these at High End Munich.

The isolation was incredibly good. Definitely above average for a closed-back headphone.
Mid-bass was very bloated/boomy with electronic music.
Would only recommend these to classic/acoustic listeners, or jazz/rock without pronounced bass.
Or have an EQ ready to bring down that midbass.
I am not really in the market for another closed back, but rock and jazz are my favourites so... :grin:

May 15, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #242 of 671
Great to hear about the isolation, disappointing about the boominess.

For me, the Bokeh is too boomy with the stock leather pads. Sounds fine with classical, but it's too much with electronic genres. I'm hoping a similar thing isn't going on here with the 620S. With the Bokeh you can fix this by changing the pads. But I don't want to have seek out third party pads for the 620S.

I guess we shall see. :)
It can't be overstated just how good the isolation is.
I think they will VERY quickly become popular just on this point alone.

May 15, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #243 of 671
May 15, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #244 of 671
Great to hear about the isolation, disappointing about the boominess.

For me, the Bokeh is too boomy with the stock leather pads. Sounds fine with classical, but it's too much with electronic genres. I'm hoping a similar thing isn't going on here with the 620S. With the Bokeh you can fix this by changing the pads. But I don't want to have seek out third party pads for the 620S.

I guess we shall see. :)
and here we have it. One listener said he perceived the 620S as boomy and BOOM (pun intended) the HD 620S starts to get the label “boomy”. That’s why I challenged this statement a bit, even I have no shares in Sennheiser.
But I will stop talking about boo… and wait for more impressions; maybe my perception is off. 😉

May 15, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #245 of 671
and here we have it. One listener said he perceived the 620S as boomy and BOOM (pun intended) the HD 620S starts to get the label “boomy”. That’s why I challenged this statement a bit, even I have no shares in Sennheiser.
But I will stop talking about boo… and wait for more impressions; maybe my perception is off. 😉
That's the one downside of these forums, sometimes stuff trends incorrectly based on parroting. But a savy reader should be able to see through the parroting vs true impressions based on actual experience. I only pay attention to first hand experience, the rest is noise.

As for the boom....I went ahead and preordered, so we shall see soon enough! :) I just hope it works well with my tube amps, I optimized my system for 300ohm drivers so other impedances are hit or miss for me.

May 15, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #246 of 671
That's the one downside of these forums, sometimes stuff trends incorrectly based on parroting. But a savy reader should be able to see through the parroting vs true impressions based on actual experience. I only pay attention to first hand experience, the rest is noise.

As for the boom....I went ahead and preordered, so we shall see soon enough! :) I just hope it works well with my tube amps, I optimized my system for 300ohm drivers so other impedances are hit or miss for me.
Thank you and welcome to the HD 620S club! 🎧

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 15, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #247 of 671
I hope it also translates to a better experience with your preferred musical tastes.
Will keep an eye on this thread to see how others like/dislike it :thumbsup:

May 15, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #248 of 671
Thank you and welcome to the HD 620S club! 🎧
Thanks! I loved the 660S2, one of the few non-ZMF headphones I give regular time to. I have high hopes for the 620. Can't wait to run it on my DNA Stratus tube amp. That beast tends to bring out the best in medium to high impedance dynamic headphones. The 660S2 rocks on it.

Now that I think about it 99% of my listening time is between just two headphone brands, ZMF and Sennheiser. The common denominator? High impedance dynamic drivers paired with tubes haha.

I'd love to see you guys come out with a tube amp! Any chance you'll venture beyond solid state amplification into the world of tubes? Something optimized for 150ohm and higher dynamic drivers? Yeah it's a niche product but there's a whole legion of listeners out there with high impedance dynamics that are always on the hunt for a good tube amp to go with them. Anyhow just my severely biased opinion and want :wink:

May 15, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #249 of 671
I hope it also translates to a better experience with your preferred musical tastes.
Will keep an eye on this thread to see how others like/dislike it :thumbsup:
Thanks! Looking forward to putting it through it's paces. I tend to like darker, bassier headphones, so it might work well for me. I won't pull punches though, if the performance isn't good I'll call it out. I just hope the highs are not sibilant, that's the biggest deal breaker for me, my tinnitus can not tolerate it.

May 15, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #251 of 671
If we must be precise, I don't think that an emphasis in the 300-800 Hz range can be called "boominess". This term is proper for lower frequencies, say 50-150 Hz. Maybe "boxiness" is more appropriate for the 300-800 Hz range. (I don't say that the HD-620S sound boxy, I haven't listened to them).

May 15, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #252 of 671
If we must be precise, I don't think that an emphasis in the 300-800 Hz range can be called "boominess". This term is proper for lower frequencies, say 50-150 Hz. Maybe "boxiness" is more appropriate for the 300-800 Hz range. (I don't say that the HD-620S sound boxy, I haven't listened to them).
🎯

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 15, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #253 of 671
I auditioned the 620s over the two days of the Munich High End several times - including playing my own music from my DAP and I would definitely never characterize them as "boomy". I really like GREQs reviews and youtube videos specifically on exotic/vintage headphones ( I have many of them myself) but he uses the term boomy quite often and also in cases where really I do not agree with (like recently for the AKG K340 which I also own). Obviously, we do have a different perception of their FR.

I am not into the market for those currently since I just bought a DCA E3 (used) right after the HighEnd but I would definitely consider them as a future closed back addition to my open back Sennheisers once my wife cooled down from that last purchase. The isolation properties, the sound and the comfort of the 620s were really a relief in the noisy environment and much better than many other closed backs.

May 15, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #254 of 671
That’s really encouraging about the isolation. I understand isolation was lacking on the HD820S and Hifiman can’t seem to get isolation right at all. It can be an issue for brands that mostly make open-backs, but this seems to be a major improvement and is great to hear.

May 15, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #255 of 671
I auditioned the 620s over the two days of the Munich High End several times - including playing my own music from my DAP and I would definitely never characterize them as "boomy". I really like GREQs reviews and youtube videos specifically on exotic/vintage headphones ( I have many of them myself) but he uses the term boomy quite often and also in cases where really I do not agree with (like recently for the AKG K340 which I also own). Obviously, we do have a different perception of their FR.

I am not into the market for those currently since I just bought a DCA E3 (used) right after the HighEnd but I would definitely consider them as a future closed back addition to my open back Sennheisers once my wife cooled down from that last purchase. The isolation properties, the sound and the comfort of the 620s were really a relief in the noisy environment and much better than many other closed backs.

Unfair to ask you to compare them to the E3, but overall your impressions were fairly positive?

I've pre-ordered the 620s as a work and "summer" headphone (open windows and fans when it's not too hot, noisy window ACs when it is). Hoping to get a really nice sound with good isolation for a fair price.

My only other wired closed back is the DCA Aeon Closed X (the Drop one), and it's great in theory but I get seal issues and weird resonances within the cup. The hazards of closed backs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back