Unveiled: Meet the HD 620S
May 15, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #227 of 668
I auditioned these at High End Munich.

The isolation was incredibly good. Definitely above average for a closed-back headphone.
Mid-bass was very bloated/boomy with electronic music.
Would only recommend these to classic/acoustic listeners, or jazz/rock without pronounced bass.
Or have an EQ ready to bring down that midbass.
Electronic music has a bloated midbass, that is exactly how it should sound IMHO.

May 15, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #229 of 668
My favourite source of bass :L3000:

AGK_bass1_full.jpg

May 15, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #230 of 668
Electronic music has a bloated midbass, that is exactly how it should sound IMHO.
I think that recordings that have already bloated bass or midbass need flat (neutral) systems to sound as they are ment to sound (bloated not double bloated). However, a headphone that emphasizes the low frequencies can be very useful and musical for older pop/rock recordings that were rather reserved in that area.
One such closed headphone is the very good Shure SRH-1540 which interestingly shows the same rise below 200 Hz in measurements (and listening) like the HD-620S. I use the SRH-1540 in noisy environments, late night low level listening and for old recordings lacking proper levels of bass. I am intrigued now to try the HD-620S too, which I believe should attenuate external noise better. A comparison of these two headphones would be very meaningful; I see them as direct competitors.

May 15, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #232 of 668
I have not heard very bloated bass at the Munich show; I found the overall sound signature quite pleasing, maybe because I am a fan of the Harman tuning, I even tune my Stax headphones to Harman. :)

May 15, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #233 of 668
I see now that solderdude has added in his review some more comparisons of the HD-620S frequency response with other headphones including the SRH-1540. The latter looks definitely more bass heavy compared with the 620S.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #234 of 668
I see now that solderdude has added in his review some more comparisons of the HD-620S frequency response with other headphones including the SRH-1540. The latter looks definitely more bass heavy compared with the 620S.
His graphs also clearly show they have a strong mid/high bass peak from 300-800hz.
This is where the boominess is.

May 15, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #235 of 668
Yet he does not say with any word that he perceives "boominess".....
So the 300-800 Hz bass "peak" is maybe not as strong as you imply with your wording.

May 15, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #236 of 668
yo Sennheiser bring back the OG HD590 with the teardrop cups. I love mine. You still have all the parts.

May 15, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #237 of 668
I auditioned these at High End Munich.

The isolation was incredibly good. Definitely above average for a closed-back headphone.
Mid-bass was very bloated/boomy with electronic music.
Would only recommend these to classic/acoustic listeners, or jazz/rock without pronounced bass.
Or have an EQ ready to bring down that midbass.
do you remember what amp was running them on? i'm wondering if some of that bass boom is amp related. if it was on a solid state amp then no, but if it was on a tube amp there's a chance the amp or tube roll wasn't a good match for the 620 drivers.

May 15, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #238 of 668
do you remember what amp was running them on? i'm wondering if some of that bass boom is amp related. if it was on a solid state amp then no, but if it was on a tube amp there's a chance the amp or tube roll wasn't a good match for the 620 drivers.
I ran it off my own equipment (phone + dongle amp/dac) which are just about as perfectly neutral as any other solid-state amp/dac; and you can believe me, I've measured it.
There is zero chance it was amp related.

The graphs mentioned above also confirm the boominess I was hearing.
Of course it won't show up in ALL recordings, that is why I mentioned that I believe the 620S is better suited to acoustic, rock, jazz etc.

So the 300-800 Hz bass "peak" is maybe not as strong as you imply with your wording.
It totally depends on the music you're listening to.
I ran my list of test-tracks, and it was noticeably boomy on the tracks that I know do not sound boomy on neutral headphones.

I'm not going to comment further or try to justify my impressions and opinions, as I do not believe I need to.
My ears are my own and how I perceive the headphones will naturally be different to people of different ages or with different ear anatomy or to people who listen to entirely different styles of music.
In time, I am sure there will be others will share my opinion.
You guys do know we don't have to agree on everything right?... there has never been such a headphone in history and there never will be.
I thought we were already past this?

May 15, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #239 of 668
@Daiyama agreed: "The channel matching is excellent, even exemplary. Bass is very well extended down to 10Hz. Bass quality is good when you can get a perfect seal, which not everyone may easily get. The small dip around 200Hz ensures the bass does not bleed into the mids. From 300Hz to 7kHz the response isn’t perfectly flat but is neutral/realistic and sounds ‘open’."

But the extremes of a response curve are as personal as it gets, so if the wearer thinks they are boomy for their taste, then they it's what they perceive even if we disagree.

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
May 15, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #240 of 668
I ran it off my own equipment (phone + dongle amp/dac) which are just about as perfectly neutral as any other solid-state amp/dac; and you can believe me, I've measured it.
There is zero chance it was amp related.

The graphs mentioned above also confirm the boominess I was hearing.
Of course it won't show up in ALL recordings, that is why I mentioned that I believe the 620S is better suited to acoustic, rock, jazz etc.

It totally depends on the music you're listening to.
I ran my list of test-tracks, and it was noticeably boomy on the tracks that I know do not sound boomy on neutral headphones.

I'm not going to comment further or try to justify my impressions and opinions, as I do not believe I need to.
My ears are my own and how I perceive the headphones will naturally be different to people of different ages or with different ear anatomy or to people who listen to entirely different styles of music.
In time, I am sure there will be others will share my opinion.
You guys do know we don't have to agree on everything right?... there has never been such a headphone in history and there never will be.
I thought we were already past this?
I wasn't doubting your impressions, just curious what system the 620 was on. No need to justify your impressions, say it how you hear it, that's how it should be. And keep sharing, there's not a lot of impressions yet being so new and unavailable to the general public still. All data points are valid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back