Unsatisfied with condition of Stax O2 bought from Head-fier: Am I too picky?
Jan 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

powertoold

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Staxers,

I bought an O2 from Justin (Headamp) and am not satisfied with his description and the condition of it. He suggested I ask your opinions about the matter:

Link to F/S listing: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f10/fs...-404-a-401125/

Justin's message: Quote:

The Audiogon scale has no specific grading for headphones. I have seen many used pairs of Omega II MK1 and it's not deceptive to call this pair "good condition". If you disagree feel free to ask Head-Fi's opinion

There are several reasons I thought his description wasn't accurate:
  • There are at least 4 of these scrapes on the leather head frame: http://www.xpute.com/headamp/IMGP7538.JPG
  • There are two small craters near the Stax logo of the left earspeaker: http://www.xpute.com/headamp/IMGP7547.JPG
  • The pads look worn: http://www.xpute.com/headamp/IMGP7539.JPG
  • The pair seems to be well-used in general.
  • On the AudiogoN scale, these imperfections would qualify for a "Fair" description (which Justin disagrees with): 6 / 10 - Fair - 3 to 4 minor scratches, or 1 major scratch, appears used. -- Electronics may have one major scratch (over 2" long, deep enough to show metal) or a slight dent on one of the surfaces. The item must NOT have any major scratches on the front facia, but may have some nicks along the top front edge. Chrome may show obvious pitting, but should not have any flakes. Transformer covers may have some scratches, but cannot show any rust. Silk-screening is separating from the glass in more than one area, and some lettering is worn off, but the glass must have no cracks or chips.

If you look at the pictures in his listing, they don't show any of the imperfections. Even the pictures of the pads were taken of the nice looking portion. Since he didn't mention any imperfections and said the O2s were in "very good condition", I assumed there was nothing of significance. Normally, Head-Fi listings would mention scratches, dents, and whatnot. And since this was a listing by Headamp, I thought I could rely on the description more. subtle was also selling his O2 in "excellent" condition, but I decided to go with Justin
ph34r.gif

I know that the AudiogoN scale isn't perfect for headphones, but people get the idea and do use it for headphones. For reference, here is the description for "very good":

Quote:

8 / 10 - Very good - Perfect front face, 1 minor flaw on top or side is acceptable.

This item has seen some use, but still appears perfect from the front. A perfect front face plate includes the front top edge. Be sure and check this edge since it is very easy to nick. On speakers, all four front edges should be inspected.
Electronics may have 1 or 2 minor scratches (max 1/2" long, very thin) on the top plate or the sides of electronics, but again, the front must be perfect. There should be no signs of rack mounting. Chrome should have no pitting, but may have some discoloration in spots less than 1/4" diameter. Silk-screening has no separations, and the lettering shows no wear.

Anyway, I want to know if my disappointment is warranted. I know that I'm picky, but the problem here is the description! Rarely am I unsatisfied with the condition of my purchases, as they are often as expected. The last time I was this unsatisfied was 7 years ago when I received a shoe that was worn for "one basketball game" that looked like it was used for two years
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your inputs!

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 22
Calling yourself "too picky" is a massive understatement. Your thread is as ridiculous as your complaint about these cans. They were identified as being in good condition and those are O2s in good condition. The "craters" are tiny and were likely there when new. The scrapes are silly. The pads show normal wear for used cans. The fact that they are "well used in general" means nothing and certainly doesn't make Justin's simple statement that they are in good condition deceptive in any way.

Don't buy things you can't afford. Don't buy used when you are impossible to please. And never buy used shoes.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 22
I think you're being very picky, I concur with Justin that the headphones are in good condition. I've used two different pairs of O2Mk1 and the pads looked exactly like this, well worn, but in good shape. On your second picture, the two small points were probably there at the Stax factory and I don't see how any of what you mention will affect resale value.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #5 of 22
I think that the leather imperfection is very very minor, I think that the metal imperfection is even more minor and that it can be seen in justins photos but it is so minor that its only under your microscope shot that its clearly seen, using a ruler and my O2 pair, I'd guess that those dents are less than half a millimetre in size. I think that you can see the crease in the pad in justins photos and that the crease in your photo looks like its just been pressed down for dramatic effect.

I do not think that your dissapointment is warrented. As for your comments on the rely on description from headamp, justin described his pair as good, not excellent, yet you chose his over the excellent pair? I would like to know what difference in the asking price there was because I'd bet that was the factor in your choice, not because you'd be buying from headamp.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Calling yourself "too picky" is a massive understatement. Your thread is as ridiculous as your complaint about these cans. They were identified as being in good condition and those are O2s in good condition. The "craters" are tiny and were likely there when new. The scrapes are silly. The pads show normal wear for used cans. The fact that they are "well used in general" means nothing and certainly doesn't make Justin's simple statement that they are in good condition deceptive in any way.

Don't buy things you can't afford. Don't buy used when you are impossible to please. And never buy used shoes.

x2

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 22
Too me, the description is accurate. They don't look that bad for used phones. However, pictures can be very deceiving. Seeing them in person may change my opinion.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #8 of 22
I think the fact that pictures 1 and 2 needed to be so large for me to see the imperfections says enough about the cosmetic conditions of the headphone. If you know you're picky, you should have asked for more pictures before you bought them, not complain about it later.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 22
Eh, this should be handled between you and Justin, in private. Washing your dirty laundry in public like this doesn't do you or anyone any good. This thread stinks of an attempt to hurt his reputation, but only ends up hurting yours.

As far as the condition of the headphones - the pads are worn. They should be replaced. The rest of the headphones are in very good condition from what I can tell, and are definitely 8/10 audiogon.

You should count on having to replace pads on any pair of O2 you buy, unless the pads are specifically listed as having been recently replaced.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #10 of 22
LOLcat3.jpg

The OP is the ultimate nitpicker. I'm pretty sure he'd find fault with a brand new pair of anything. They're used headphones, in good condition. Not new, not mint, not near mint and not a piece of electronics that sits on a shelf (the Audiogon scale).

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 22
i think they look okay as well.

used even if in very good condition is still used - hence the discount. if you want perfect, you have to buy new. also, i don't think those items you mentioned will affect resale value if you ever decided to do that.

enjoy the O2 and don't worry about the little things.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 22
Personally I would give them 8,5/10. I feel that I am aquite picky myself, and I would not complain.
This is used HP's not new.

Jan 24, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 22
Is this guy for REAL???? You have to be kidding me! Dude you are a nit picking ****. Stop making ant hills into moles hills. You are not doing anyone any favors. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back