Unofficial: Schiit DIY Coaster Amp
Nov 28, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #286 of 326
Yeah, there should be other DAC kits that run barrel connectors at higher voltages, though. The only reason I mentioned the PI was because I have a Pi Zero that I want to utilize.
I just want the DAC in the same unit (and a DAC at all) because I don't trust the output on my work laptop to be great at all (I know it isn't already).

Just trying to create something unique and useful for me until I get an actual upgrade.

The only thing I worry about with the PI DACs as well is I've seen them report as line level output (and not to use headphones). I'm unsure with the details for coaster input, but is line level amped more than I want to feed the coaster to begin with?

The 16Volts AC the coaster requires is rather unusual unless you are talking a Schiit product. Most consumer DACs and such require DC voltage.

The Coaster uses 16AC via a rectification design using 3 voltage regulators to provide the coaster with 3 different voltages ~30VDC, ~15VDC, and ~1.5VDC. See the lower left part of the schematic.

The line level will be adequate for the coaster. It is what a headamp would expect to be fed.

Nov 28, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #287 of 326
The 16Volts AC the coaster requires is rather unusual unless you are talking a Schiit product. Most consumer DACs and such require DC voltage.

The Coaster uses 16AC via a rectification design using 3 voltage regulators to provide the coaster with 3 different voltages ~30VDC, ~15VDC, and ~1.5VDC. See the lower left part of the schematic.

The line level will be adequate for the coaster. It is what a headamp would expect to be fed.

All the DAC kits I can find have a couple screw terminals for 9 VAC and 15-0-15VAC :frowning2: Yeah, if I could find a transformer with a bunch of stuff, but it's gonna be difficult.
Poop, cool idea pretty much down the drain.

Nov 28, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #288 of 326
... As well, I don't necessarily need it to have the LCD or the HDD because I plan on feeding the dac via computer USB.
If you are using only USB input why not use a USB powered DAC, kits might be a bit awkward unless you are comfortable soldering multi pin SMDs
An easy option would be to get a PCM2704 type finished PCB (ebay $6), this solution was used by the early headphone DAC-Amps e.g. Lehmann Black Cube Linear, or you could look for a more modern one like those from HiFimeDIY ($30 and up)

(or you could go multibit with 4 x parallel TDA1543 USB DAC finished PCB, ebay ~$19)

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #290 of 326
No sockets soldered to the board AFAIK.

Dec 16, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #291 of 326
You only need the sockets if you plan to frequently swap tubes for matching purposes. I've got some but haven't even used them. I had a friend match me a few pairs and I'm good to go.

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #292 of 326
As these Coasters are also Headphone amps, has anyone tried making a pair of "headphone" amps?
110mm-Large-Headphone-Housing-Open-Type-Headset-Headphone-DIY-Customized-Wood-Headphone-Shell-...jpg

I figure with a little bit of luck, the PCB's will mount into the cups

110mm Large Headphone Housing

Apr 27, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #293 of 326
As these Coasters are also Headphone amps, has anyone tried making a pair of "headphone" amps?
110mm-Large-Headphone-Housing-Open-Type-Headset-Headphone-DIY-Customized-Wood-Headphone-Shell-...jpg
I figure with a little bit of luck, the PCB's will mount into the cups

110mm Large Headphone Housing

Looks fun, but how are you managing the two wall warts this build would take?

They run off the same wall wart that is used for modi multibit, loki mini, etc

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #294 of 326
Looks fun, but how are you managing the two wall warts this build would take?

They run off the same wall wart that is used for modi multibit, loki mini, etc
I have converted two of them to mono and used a fairly serious battery pack outside.

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #295 of 326
To clarify, I was not thinking of mounting them along with drivers, more just using the frame as mount for the PCB's for display purposes, and then you could hang them on a headphone stand.

I do like the idea of converting them to mono, definitely justifies using both headphone cups for mounting PCB's.

Apr 27, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #296 of 326
To clarify, I was not thinking of mounting them along with drivers, more just using the frame as mount for the PCB's for display purposes, and then you could hang them on a headphone stand.

I do like the idea of converting them to mono, definitely justifies using both headphone cups for mounting PCB's.
I have hooked them to Beyer-Dynamic drivers as well as running mine speakers as a pair but never had headphone frames that fit them.

May 13, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #298 of 326
Good luck with that, I built quite a few a while back. :L3000:

May 13, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #300 of 326
All I can say is that I hope it makes a good amplifier, it is a pretty Schiity coaster . . .
LOL yeah but a good dual function advertisement. They are decent sounding and there is such a feeling of accomplishment when you finally get one going. There was an error in the original BOM so I may well have been the first person outside of Schiit to have a working after I caught the mistake.

It is a fun challenge to find a round enclosure for the amp, I probably had a couple dozen ideas and a few actually worked lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back