Unofficial: Schiit DIY Coaster Amp
Sep 7, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #256 of 326
Ha! I found a companion for the coaster!

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magic-Eye-Audio-visualizer-driver-board-Suits-EM84-tube-or-Equivalent-VU-Meter/152545581369?hash=item23846cd939

Erf. Sorry 'bout the size. :frowning2:

That’s pretty damn cool. HOW does it do that with the tube? Only one left :triportsad:

Sep 8, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #257 of 326

This video shows the style I have, there are a few different configurations. The quick answer is that you can think of them as a little cathode ray tube, there is a florescent material inside the tube that glows. As the grid voltage varies, the glowing material varies so they can basically be used a a visual VU meter. I put them on an amp I built just to win a bet, I had one for each channel. Some were made years ago with just a circle at the top and they were used as tuning indicators on radios, thus the magic eye name.

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #258 of 326

This video shows the style I have, there are a few different configurations. The quick answer is that you can think of them as a little cathode ray tube, there is a florescent material inside the tube that glows. As the grid voltage varies, the glowing material varies so they can basically be used a a visual VU meter. I put them on an amp I built just to win a bet, I had one for each channel. Some were made years ago with just a circle at the top and they were used as tuning indicators on radios, thus the magic eye name.

Do you have any pictures or video of the amp you built? That must have been amazing! What did ORT think?

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #259 of 326
IMG_2281 (1).JPG I did not know ORT then. I will have to look for videos of the tubes. That amp may go into production and I had to sign a non disclosure agreement so I cannot go into a lot of detail. I can show this one, I was goofing around with different finishes but kept it all shiny copper when done. The blade switch controlled the magic eye tubes but those are hard to come by so most likely It will just have a toggle switch.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #260 of 326
I have parts for 2 more coasters and could easily get the few parts I don't have for a third. If anyone wants a kit with all the coaster parts or a completed coaster please PM me. If demand is high I'll look into doing orders for more parts (which may require a couple subs due to some parts non-availability) to make more kits or coasters available.

Sep 9, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #261 of 326
I finally got the chance to test 2SA1163's in place of 2SA1312 transistors. I have had them running for a few hours and they seem to be a good replacement part. Digikey has them and show them as a feasible substitute.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #262 of 326
Oct 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #263 of 326
Here are the early stages of a coaster amp build, a flying saucer whose lights will respond to music. Under the red cup is a plastic dome that will cover the coaster. I am running the headphone outputs into headphone drivers whose sound will trigger the lights. What will also be fun is the fact it will respond to conversation, or a coffee cup being set down, or basically any sound within ten feet without music being present. That part should annoy my son but my granddaughter should love it. I will do the wiring tomorrow, lights are activated by remote control.IMG_0147.jpg

Oct 28, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #264 of 326
IMG_0156.jpg with LED's engaged.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #266 of 326
I just have the one but she is pretty incredible. There is not much voltage involved and more than likely I will seal everything up so it is safe. The amp will just supply tiny speakers so I can leave it at full volume and it can be controlled by a DAP I will connect.

I need to look through my music for Star Wars theme, Close Encounters of the Third Kind music, and maybe some of War of the Worlds.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #267 of 326
I just have the one but she is pretty incredible. There is not much voltage involved and more than likely I will seal everything up so it is safe. The amp will just supply tiny speakers so I can leave it at full volume and it can be controlled by a DAP I will connect.

I need to look through my music for Star Wars theme, Close Encounters of the Third Kind music, and maybe some of War of the Worlds.

Try the theme from "Twilight Zone"-----.

Oct 28, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #268 of 326
Hmmm good one, among my music collection I found the soundtrack from Blade Runner, my son would appreciate the final narration entitled Tears in Rain.

I also found The Empire Strikes Back and A Clockwork Orange soundtrack.

Also 2001 A space Odyssey.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #269 of 326
Oct 28, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #270 of 326

Users who are viewing this thread

Back