Unofficial: Schiit DIY Coaster Amp
Jul 16, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #121 of 326
Oh man, now I have to come up with a new idea before Wednesday!!

Another clue, read the sci-fi writer Kilgore Trout, the idea I am working on has a lot to do with one of his books as well as a Dutch artist who shall remain nameless till the final reveal is made. There is a drawing that should hint at my inspiration.

Man, it's been years since I read any of Vonnegut's Kilgore Trout stuff. I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage, sir. :o2smile:

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #122 of 326
At least you know who he was or was supposed to be lol. I am going back and rereading a lot of it, a great Indiana author.(Vonnegut) Another was Jean Shepherd, A Christmas Story is based on his short stories. Funny, funny man.

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:40 PM Post #123 of 326
That's a nice coincidence...a bunch of Vonnegut fans.
I'm in the middle of reading a book of Kurt's letters. Great man. A little mixed up, but a great human.
To this day Slaughterhouse Five is one of my very favorite books. And Kilgore Trout and Billy Pilgrim are my favorite literary characters.
First read it as a teenager about the time it came out. Hmmm, I must be getting old.

PS. As an engineer, this makes me smile...

Jul 16, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #124 of 326
I used that Vonnegut video as an argument against a book in one of my book clubs.

There is still a Vonnegut hardware in Indianapolis last I heard. Vonnegut’s grandfather invented the safety bar on commercial doors because of a fire that killed many. His brother co-invented cloud seeding.

The Dutch artist has more to do with my design but I wanted to see who knew Kilgore Trout. Well done! Venus on the Half-shell could be a clue.

I work within a half hour of where Kurt grew up. One friend used to talk to him on occasion, a book editor.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #125 of 326
I used that Vonnegut video as an argument against a book in one of my book clubs.

There is still a Vonnegut hardware in Indianapolis last I heard. Vonnegut’s grandfather invented the safety bar on commercial doors because of a fire that killed many. His brother co-invented cloud seeding.

The Dutch artist has more to do with my design but I wanted to see who knew Kilgore Trout. Well done! Venus on the Half-shell could be a clue.
When you said Dutch artist I was hoping for
170px-Escher_Poster_Dulwich_Picture_Gallery_2015.jpg

I had wanted you to do Coaster in snow dome

upload_2018-7-17_10-13-37.jpeg

Botticelli was Italian, so not this
91QiA1BsmlL._SX355_.jpg

Jul 16, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #126 of 326
IMG_2836.JPG Jimmers, for some reason you always impress me. I hesitate to say much right now except for the fact it is not a snow globe.

Later you will see why you are very close provided this works. I have not gathered all of my parts yet.

Venus on the Half-Shell was a Kilgore Trout book, many thought Vonnegut wrote it.

I am re-reading God Bless you Mr. Rosewater today, Kurt’s early works impressed me most.

Above is my patinated copper after 24 hours. Nearly ready for a clear coat after a mild brushing. This is another project that might entail a Coaster amp.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #128 of 326
Oh man, now I have to come up with a new idea before Wednesday!!

Another clue, read the sci-fi writer Kilgore Trout, the idea I am working on has a lot to do with one of his books as well as a Dutch artist who shall remain nameless till the final reveal is made. There is a drawing that should hint at my inspiration.

Ok I'll play, my guess is "She sells seashells by the sea shore" :smirk:

So either this one. :smile_cat:

411cfcKeqcL._AC_US218_.jpg

But more likely this one is the real clue :wink:

David-Kilman-November2-2013-blog-Featured-Image.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #129 of 326
Vonnegut was amazing. In a letter to a friend he predicted a small dog would kill him. He tripped over his dogs leash and tumbled down some stairs at his apartment in New York, he died shortly after.

A friend who wanted him to forward a book of short stories used to call him and oftentimes Vonnegut would pretend to be the butler. The guy had an amazing wit.

There is one guess that is very very close but I have only thought through half of the process, the remainder will come to me by Wednesday, with a reveal no later than Friday if all goes well and I am not called out of town.

I always liked the cover art on Venus on a half shell.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #130 of 326
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." -- Kurt Vonnegut

I used to have that quote above my desk at work for years.

I love that quote and I tend to work very hard, but the Coaster amp is serious fun for me. I am trying to get Jason on board for the reveal but he stays pretty busy.

I should do an amp based on the works of Thomas Pynchon, that would give you a lot of food for thought but I am not sure how to involve V2 rockets real easily, Star Wars is easier.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #131 of 326
Jimmers, for some reason you always impress me. I hesitate to say much right now except for the fact it is not a snow globe.

Later you will see why you are very close provided this works. I have not gathered all of my parts yet.

Venus on the Half-Shell was a Kilgore Trout book, many thought Vonnegut wrote it.

I am re-reading God Bless you Mr. Rosewater today, Kurt’s early works impressed me most.

Above is my patinated copper after 24 hours. Nearly ready for a clear coat after a mild brushing. This is another project that might entail a Coaster amp.

Looking good!!!

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #132 of 326
Thanks, doing a patina is a lot like the stock market, you invest your time and energy and leave it alone. Of course with president you know who in office, with one tweet the market is up and down more often than a hookers panties.

When the reveal is made, I should at least offer to build a Coaster amp at no charge for the person who is closest with their guess if they cannot build one for themselves. That is the least I can do.

Van Gogh was also Dutch as I recall, and I can imagine a coaster board fitting inside some headphone cups, or maybe just one cup, acting as a source directly to both drivers. But then, where does Kilgore Trout enter into this?

I have done some headphone modification so this is plausible, yet, this vessel will be something most anyone can do and a bare board is little use inside a headphone.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #133 of 326
Put me down for a Dutch Fez Wine Coaster Coaster. Looks like it might fit ...

Fez+Wine+Coaster.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #134 of 326
If only life was that simple.
time for a Vonnegut book.

Jul 16, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #135 of 326
A Big Mouth Billy Bass Coaster with integrated speaker!! You are a Genius.

(It wasn't easy, but after putting the pieces together -- Vonnegut. Kilgore Trout. Fish. Makes perfect sense!!)

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back