Unofficial: Schiit DIY Coaster Amp
Jul 15, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #106 of 326
I know you are allergic to cats so you probably rub a glass rod over a rabbits fur as you build devices as well.

Nah. I rub a balloon on head. :smirk:

Nice BCH and Whammy. You sir, are an Arteest!!

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #107 of 326
I love the texture top of this box!!! how you do that! That is cool:grinning: The meters in the front dresses it out nicely too. sexybox.png

Oh back on topic: I only saw one part that was critical static wise in this kit: its the output ic (because its a mosfet a/b amp) but as long as you don't sit there and roll it around in your hand you should be fine. I would get a couple of those ic chips anyways because of the off chance one would get damaged in shipping or just faulty to begin with.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #108 of 326
IMG_2721.JPG The Crack is an easy build so I just like to concentrate on other areas. I was in a hurry on the Whammy but others in here did beautiful cabinets on them. I am going to make my class a monoblocks fairly good looking with the help of a talented woodworker.

I added a blue patina to 1/8 inch copper plate, that top weighs two pounds. Front and back plates are the same thickness and I used one inch thick quartered oak and went with a taller box. The patina can be done in a day in a well ventilated area using ammonia and sea salt. Vinegar will give it a more greenish tone as I recall. The copper just sits above the liquid in a chamber overnight, I generally spray the copper with diluted salt water as well. If you do a google search for Steampunk Bottlehead Crack under images, you will see some photos of my build. I made a matching headphone rack and modified some headphones to match. I also turned them into high impedance headphones. IMG_1955.JPGI have messed around with copper on the Schiit Coaster amp as well.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #109 of 326
Are you building a 7.1 AV system out of Coasters?? :wink:

Jul 15, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #110 of 326
IMG_2831 (1).JPG I am absolutely not building a 7.1 system, I prefer 7.2 cause the subwoofers help drive moles out of my yard and into my neighbors. IMG_2830.JPGToday I am working with half inch copper pipe and I will play around with mounting a coaster in the center of it just to see how it goes with the headphone rack when completed. I get to take a break while the copper is undergoing a chemical reaction. i think a convertible headphone rack would be nice, one easily switched from Coaster amp with headphones to pure steampunk by plugging in two different devices.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #111 of 326
Very nice and very creative!

Jul 15, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #112 of 326
IMG_2832.JPG I had already made one so it was mostly muscle memory. I did fill a small tub with water so I could cool the copper quickly, that sped things up. This is after about an hour of copper, salt and ammonia fumes doing their thing. The flat plate at the bottom is already taking on a blue color, by this time tomorrow, all copper should have some patina.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #113 of 326

Attachments

• speaker-emoticon (2).png
    speaker-emoticon (2).png
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #115 of 326
Very nice, that looks like Paul McGowan in the lower left of the photo.

Ok I have what is probably the greatest idea yet for a coaster amp build but I will not reveal it till I actually do the build. It is something any one of you can do and it allows for the coaster to be used as a coaster or as a headphone amp. Provided you can build, or coerce someone into building the amp.

You can make the device, or the vessel if you will, and you will kick yourselves for not thinking of it already. Unless you already have that is. This is going to be sooooo cool I may try to talk the Finisher out of a square of granite to place it on once done with maybe a smaller square of cherry. It deserves a pedestal, it will be that wonderful. You will be able to make your own just as easily as I make mine, very little skill required and the results could be mind boggling.

I may make a video or take a series of photos and I will try to let everyone know precisely when I will make the reveal. This idea could be so good that Jason might decide to post a photo on his website, stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #116 of 326
Oooooh. Sounds pretty exciting. Give us a hint. Is it a Vessel with a Pestle or a Chalice from a Palace? :smirk:

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #118 of 326
Here is a hint, you can buy what is needed on Amazon. Of course you can probably buy everything except for opioids, human body parts and guns there but that is beside the point.

Another hint is, if you build one, it will be unique; just like the build of everyone else who builds one.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #119 of 326
Here is a hint, you can buy what is needed on Amazon. Of course you can probably buy everything except for opioids, human body parts and guns there but that is beside the point.

Another hint is, if you build one, it will be unique; just like the build of everyone else who builds one.

Play-Doh? :ksc75smile:

Jul 16, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #120 of 326
Oh man, now I have to come up with a new idea before Wednesday!!

Another clue, read the sci-fi writer Kilgore Trout, the idea I am working on has a lot to do with one of his books as well as a Dutch artist who shall remain nameless till the final reveal is made. There is a drawing that should hint at my inspiration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back