Unofficial CES 2013 Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #31 of 45
Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks that the Orpheus amp is grotesque looking? It's odd because I've read criticisms of the styling of the headphone itself, which I rather like, in an understated sort of way. But that amp? Blech!

The HeadAmp Aristaeus can be used instead of the HEV90, you know.
wink.gif

http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/aristaeus/index.htm

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #32 of 45
So can the WES and GES.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #33 of 45
Don't even get me started on the craptastic nature of multi-carb setups. :wink:

Yeah, yeah, I know - and tuning triple Webers is considered a lost art from the land before time - but multi-carb motors still look cool!!

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #34 of 45
I heard these at the show and they sounded fantastic. Great clarity and detail, with a full bass response. Among the best IEMs I heard at the show, though I didn't hear close to all of them, including the IE-800.

I was told they will have an MSRP for $100, with a street price of $80. Highly recommended.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:
I heard these at the show and they sounded fantastic. Great clarity and detail, with a full bass response. Among the best IEMs I heard at the show, though I didn't hear close to all of them, including the IE-800.

I was told they will have an MSRP for $100, with a street price of $80. Highly recommended.

I have a problem with IEM's with a large base falling out. 

I usually use IEM's for walking or portable purposes.

Jan 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #36 of 45
In case anyone was curious, I wanted to post about 2 known audio brands who were venturing out into cans: Kicker (famous car audio subs) and Nakamichi (tape decks?).

Kicker made some effort into the build of the cans, but they sounded very meh. Poor detail, flabby bass. The higher end model had slightly better resolution in the mids, but the highs were just not there. I guess that's what you get from a company known for its boomy car sub-woofers?

Nakamichi's cans on the other hand felt like the company wanted to make as cheaply feeling set of cans you could without etching "Cheap Cans" directly into it. Despite how they look, when you pick them up, they hardly weigh anything, and the materials are thin, brittle, and look like they will come apart with any decent usage. They sound about as well as they're made - not really for anyone who cares about their music. "Mushy" probably describes it best. I think my cheap $20 PC headset I use for VOIP might sound better than these. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

I'll definitely have to give these a try when I get the chance.

How's the balance? You mentioned the bass and the clarity, but what about the sonic signature? Warm? Cool? Extended or laid back treble? Sorry to pepper you with questions, since I know you didn't exactly have time to micro-analyze them. I had a less than stellar experience with the A161, but I happen to like MEE as a company and was hoping they'd come up with something a bit less laid back in the high end. It sounds like they're slotting this model in just below the A161, based on the price, at least.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #39 of 45
I saw several Kicker headphones at Fry's this weekend. I assumed they were just another boom-bastic can targeted at the cool kids. Nakamichi also had headphones back in their heyday. I'm not sure of the years, but a couple of models I remember are the HP-100(?) and the SP-7. Nakamichi is just a shadow of their former greatness - it's not the same company at all - I think it might now be owned by a Chinese holding company.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Can you name the IEMs you listened to at the show?

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #42 of 45
Quote:
The name is right in the picture

I think he means those apart from the M-Duo. Weirdfishes says they were among the best IEMs he heard at the show, so I think Niyologist is trying to get a frame of reference based on the other IEMs weirdfishes heard.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #43 of 45
Quote:

I think he means those apart from the M-Duo. Weirdfishes says they were among the best IEMs he heard at the show, so I think Niyologist is trying to get a frame of reference based on the other IEMs weirdfishes heard.

Yup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back