Unofficial CES 2013 Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #16 of 45
Posting this a little late tonight, but some interesting stuff happened today.

So I started off the day catching up with the Sennheiser booth from yesterday.  First up, some pics of the Momentum in black.

And then, I noticed that the Orpheus was unoccupied and oh so lonely.

So how did it sound?  As you'd expect, it was rather amazing.  You will hear EVERYTHING!

However, if I'm to be honest, I do prefer the Stax SR-007 Mk I.  The Orpheus has more body to it, with richer textures, resulting in a fuller sound.  But IMO, but the SR-007 sounded more natural, and had a greater sense of realism.  I am not trying to knock the Orpheus in any way mind you.  Just my personal two cents here.

Continued in next post (after I get some sleep)...

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #17 of 45
Am I the only person who thinks that the Orpheus amp is grotesque looking? It's odd because I've read criticisms of the styling of the headphone itself, which I rather like, in an understated sort of way. But that amp? Blech!

It sounds like I wouldn't like the Orpheus much. Some people can get past a different sonic balance. I'm not one of them. Darker and smooth just doesn't work for me, no matter how resolving or detailed it is. Give me energy and shimmer, tempered with evenness and refinement.

Sounds like I'd really like Stax. Ten years down the road or so, when I've saved up my pennies, I might have to explore that.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #18 of 45
Keep in mind when you get to the level of the HE90, comments like "more euphonic" and "richer" have to be taken in the right context. The Orpheus is actually an extremely accurate headphone. It's not dark or smoothed over, and as far as refinement goes, sonically it's one of the most refined headphones ever made.

Actually, the SR-007mk1 can sound darker and more smoothed over compared to the Orpheus, depending on what amp you're listening with, really.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:
Am I the only person who thinks that the Orpheus amp is grotesque looking? It's odd because I've read criticisms of the styling of the headphone itself, which I rather like, in an understated sort of way. But that amp? Blech!

Yes. 
biggrin.gif
  Kidding of course, but we should remember that the Orpheus was from another time and era entirely.  Personally, I rather like the amphitheatre aspect of the look.  And when it's all polished up like how they had it, just the "shiny object" factor is alluring in and of itself.

Quote:
It sounds like I wouldn't like the Orpheus much. Some people can get past a different sonic balance. I'm not one of them. Darker and smooth just doesn't work for me, no matter how resolving or detailed it is. Give me energy and shimmer, tempered with evenness and refinement.

Sounds like I'd really like Stax. Ten years down the road or so, when I've saved up my pennies, I might have to explore that.

Honestly, I think you'd really like both.  Keep in mind that I both the Orpheus and the SR-007 Mk I are both very, very good.  And when you get that high up, the differences are not as sweeping as you might imagine.  I mean we are, after all, talking about summit-fi and the pursuit of that last 5% right?

For me, it wasn't an issue of balance in terms of signature.  It was more of a texture thing really.  Both are, without question, in a whole other world from many of the cans we experience in our daily lives. 

Quote:
Keep in mind when you get to the level of the HE90, comments like "more euphonic" and "richer" have to be taken in the right context. The Orpheus is actually an extremely accurate headphone. It's not dark or smoothed over, and as far as refinement goes, sonically it's one of the most refined headphones ever made.

Actually, the SR-007mk1 can sound darker and more smoothed over compared to the Orpheus, depending on what amp you're listening with, really.

YES!  I'm so glad you brought this up as I had forgotten to mention it last night (was just way too tired).  The signal path is not something to be taken lightly.  So please take my comments with a heap of salt here guys.  After all, it's not like I used my own source (or anything else) in auditioning either the Orpheus or the SR-007 Mk I.

For the record, the Orpheus was the final stage of a turntable rig playing a bluesy-ballady piece I'd never heard before.  Whereas the SR-007 Mk I I heard was at the end of a signal path that was playing a CD through an AMAZING custom amp, and it was a classical piece.

I'll readily admit that, were someone were to insist that the Orpheus was the pinnacle of headphone bliss, I'd have no argument against that whatsoever.  Based on my limited experience with both, I could easily chalk up the differences to signal path variation (and even personal bias) at this stage of my Head-Fi journey.

Quote:
Warren-sama, not only are you a master 'shopper, now you've also fondled the Orpheus.

Yes, though with my relatively "novice" ear with summit-fi stuff, I think "groped" might be a more accurate term.

I've got a whole ton of updates... including some really cool news about Dunu, HiFiMan, etc.  But alas I have to depart for the final day of CES now.  So I'll try to post them later on tonight.  I say try because tonight is Friday night in Vegas after all.  Catch you guys later!

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #21 of 45
Okay, so it turns out that I have a little more time than I thought this morning.  Coordinating plans between a half dozen people can get surprisingly complex it seems.  So...

It was a bit unexpected, but I was happy to see that Dunu had a booth at CES this year.  They were at the northern end of North Hall in the iLounge Pavilion.  I've never had an opportunity to hear Dunus before.  But since their reputation here on Head-Fi precedes them, I decided to drop by and say a hello.

Lemme tell ya, the guys at Dunu are a refreshing breath of fresh air.  Every manufacturer will throw out the familiar line that it's all about sound quality.  But in talking to them, I can say that Dunu is the real deal.  These guys are just like us - but on the other end of the manufacturer/end-user line.  Got a chance to meet Rocky Dai and the rest of the Dunu crew. 

Rocky is the one on the far right.  All great guys - one and all - that REALLY care about audio.  I'll post more about units later.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #26 of 45
seeing the black Momentum makes me glad I have a brown pair.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:
Posting this a little late tonight, but some interesting stuff happened today.

So I started off the day catching up with the Sennheiser booth from yesterday.  First up, some pics of the Momentum in black.

And then, I noticed that the Orpheus was unoccupied and oh so lonely.

So how did it sound?  As you'd expect, it was rather amazing.  You will hear EVERYTHING!

However, if I'm to be honest, I do prefer the Stax SR-007 Mk I.  The Orpheus has more body to it, with richer textures, resulting in a fuller sound.  But IMO, but the SR-007 sounded more natural, and had a greater sense of realism.  I am not trying to knock the Orpheus in any way mind you.  Just my personal two cents here.

Continued in next post (after I get some sleep)...

OMG. Warren. You lucky son of a gun. Wow. Orpheus. Wow.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #28 of 45
Here's all of the pics for all of the new MEELEC Products:

http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/756185/a/728718/meelectronics-appreciation-fan-thread/sort/display_order/

biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #29 of 45
Does anyone else think that AddOn missed an opportunity to use a cool hot rod name like "Tri-Power" for that first amp??

Don't even get me started on the craptastic nature of multi-carb setups. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back