Unleash the full potential of your Brainwavz HM5 or FA-003 with mods
Aug 29, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #33 of 52
Quote:
I got mine for $200 from Noisy Motel, in Melbourne. 

And to be honest, I'd just choose whichever wood you liked the look of the most :)

Yeah...  Kind of a ridiculous price tag.  I'm just worried it sounds nice but it colors the sound more than anything...  And in terms of choosing which wood, well, that was my point, that choosing based on looks is pretty much the only option you have.  I mean a few can be eliminated but you can't truly tell without testing many of them beforehand yourself...  Nobody has otherwise made an objective comparison considering the niche nature of this matter so there's very little to go on.

Aug 29, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #34 of 52
I'm sure Billy would do you a deal if you email him and tell him your dilemma. He did one for me. $200 is the listed price.

Even then, not really a "ridiculous" price tag IMHO, when you consider it had to be hand crafted and imported from Russia. It's also (finally) delivered the quantity of bass that I prefer, which the standard cups did not.

Everyone has different tastes - these are my "Show piece" headphones that are always on display. I just love the way they look 
regular_smile .gif

E
DIT: Sorry, posted that photo twice

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:
I'm sure Billy would do you a deal if you email him and tell him your dilemma. He did one for me. $200 is the listed price.

Even then, not really a "ridiculous" price tag IMHO, when you consider it had to be hand crafted and imported from Russia. It's also (finally) delivered the quantity of bass that I prefer, which the standard cups did not.

Everyone has different tastes - these are my "Show piece" headphones that are always on display. I just love the way they look 
regular_smile .gif

E
DIT: Sorry, posted that photo twice

I've been looking at prices of things in the audio industry, left to right, you name it.  So now, this is not to say that there aren't things way more out there, which wouldn't even be worth my time even if I were a billionaire quite frankly, but no matter from where and how these cups are accomplished, $200 is over-priced.  I understand if people don't want to do charity work, but I'm sorry, if you're in a niche market, I can't have much respect for the people that don't appreciate the fact for why it is so and simply try an make a larger profit on each sale since the quantities at which it would be selling are greater.  A good example of what I mean to the contrary of such a model, NvAwGuy and his Objective amp and DAC..  If you're going into this, you're going into this to be awesome and your main source of income should be from somewhere else of which this would fuel.  In the long run, that might actually be a more profitable model anyway.  It's overpriced.  Whether you think it was justified/worth it paying that much, well that's already a second question.  In that case, that would still be something being taken advantage of.  In any case, it's not something I'd make a big deal over, but in now way, shape, or form will I accept the argument that $200 isn't overpriced for this, by any standard.

In terms of taste, I'm assuming you were referring to the look.  In that sense, sure, of course, but I was saying that it's not the more important factor of the others remaining which have to do with the effect on the sound of one wood vs. another.  I'm not sure we're stuck on this topic as I don't think it's too controversial of a subject matter, given any thought.

Thanks for the information about it though.  I have more important investments in mind for now but by the end, I do want to get some wooden cups and hopefully the result is for the better.  Some more bass by default from these headphones would be nice, if put just very vaguely.

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #37 of 52
can anyone here compare the hd598 vs k240 vs fa003?

That's a wise choice of comparison. I can only contribute the following to this which is that, I've heard all of them, just with big time gaps in between, and in both the cases of the 598 and k240s, there was something about them I didn't like, more so with the 598s, and I ended up returning them. The HM5s I stuck with. The reason i'm not saying more is because at the time that I heard the first two I mentioned, I had little to compare to, so the way in which the impressions were formed then wouldn't be relevant. I can only be sure that fundamentally, the most natural sounding and neutral I know I'll find the HM5s stil to be. Any source I throw at them comes back as you'd expect or revealing new nuances to the texture and soundstage of the sound. With the other two pairs, more so with the 598s, it sounded like I'm listening to those headphones rather than the source, with the k240s however in a more satisfactory way. Hope that somewhat helps!

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #38 of 52
Simple question how are people getting the silver plate off there Fa 003's to get access to the back of the driver. I want to make a cable for my wife's digitech pair a shorter version and i need to modify the hole the mini jacks plug into. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #39 of 52
  Simple question how are people getting the silver plate off there Fa 003's to get access to the back of the driver. I want to make a cable for my wife's digitech pair a shorter version and i need to modify the hole the mini jacks plug into. 

Remove the pads, twist off the oval-shaped plastic section, it will reveal four screws. Small, phillips head screwdriver will do the trick for those.

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #40 of 52

I of course understand why in many cases one might want to DIY, but in this case, why don't you actually just get the shorter cable here: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-spare-cable-1-3m?

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #41 of 52
Thanks I did not know a shorter lead was avaliable, I will have to see if I can get one to Australia for a reasonable price. I may still go the DIY route I'd like to make a custom colour for my wife 's headphones.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #42 of 52
Thanks I did not know a shorter lead was avaliable, I will have to see if I can get one to Australia for a reasonable price. I may still go the DIY route I'd like to make a custom colour for my wife 's headphones.

Ah ok, cool.  I'm pretty sure they ship to Australia actually.  I'm think there's actually another store right in Australia that sells it as well though.  I don't remember what it is at the moment however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back