University researchers seeking AKG K1000 for vocal accommodation research
Aug 20, 2013 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mcalton2

New Head-Fier
I'm an undergraduate working in the physics program at Brigham Young University.  We're trying to find a set of headphones with almost no direct sound attenuation.  Research similar to ours has already been conducted by another research group using the AKG K1000 and we would like to use the same model for reproducibility.   We are interested in purchasing the K1000.  If you have a set that you would like to sell, please contact us as soon as possible so we can continue our research.  I'm also new to this forum, so if some of you more experienced members know of a better place to post this to attract the attention of AKG K1000 owners that would be great.  Thank you!

Matt Calton
Undergraduate, Department of Physics and Astronomy
Brigham Young University

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't have a K1000 to sell or anything, but there was a post very recently from a MIT grad student that was also interested in the K1000s, or they were already using the K1000s in his research project.

Not sure why they chose to use such a hard-to-find vintage can. Why not something like the HD800?

Anyway, good luck!

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 5
I think he answered your question in his first post.  If he finds something that differs from another study that was done with an AKG K1000, it doesn't necessarily mean anything as maybe the headphone is the variable causing a difference.  

I would put up a What To Buy ad here: http://www.head-fi.org/f/109/for-sale-trade-and-feedback-forums

But you may need a certain number of posts/membership hoops to jump through before posting there.

Ebay often has pairs but they are often overpriced.  Anything over $1600, even mint, is definitely above market value.

Aug 20, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I think he answered your question in his first post.  If he finds something that differs from another study that was done with an AKG K1000, it doesn't necessarily mean anything as maybe the headphone is the variable causing a difference.  

Right, I understand. I'm just wondering why the first research group, which I assume is that MIT student from a few months ago, had chosen the K1000s to begin with.

@OP: Just so you know, the K1000 is apparently very amp-picky as well as a beast to power. You should also find out what amp the other group was pairing theirs with if you really want to test reproducibility.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you both for your responses.  I had not heard about the MIT research project (the one I was referring to is from Australia).  I will look into the MIT project as well as the amp used in the original study.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back