Universal Remolds or Entry Level Custom???
Dec 20, 2010 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Aditlojs

New Head-Fier
I just can't decide... 

Remold a top-teir universal into a custom or get an entry level custom iem?

I am looking at purchasing a used set of TF10s to remold or a 1964D/T/Q/ JH5 Pro/ UE 4 Pro

Which way did you go and why?  

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 5
After having owned a few high end universals and listening to quite a few more I can honestly say go customs. If the cost is at all close I would highly recommend entry level customs instead of reshelling. For me, the sound quality of my JH5's was just a huge step ahead of any of the universals I have heard in that it sounded so complete and natural. I can not possibly imagine just reshelling changing the sound signature of a universal to that level that it could compete. 

Here is my JH5 review with comparisons to top tier universals if your interested.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526436/and-he-walked-away-with-a-smile-a-jh5-review

Dec 20, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for your input and that link... I'll definitely give it a read!

EDIT:  Don't let that fool you... I'd still love to hear others opinions as well...

Quote:
After having owned a few high end universals and listening to quite a few more I can honestly say go customs. If the cost is at all close I would highly recommend entry level customs instead of reshelling. For me, the sound quality of my JH5's was just a huge step ahead of any of the universals I have heard in that it sounded so complete and natural. I can not possibly imagine just reshelling changing the sound signature of a universal to that level that it could compete. 

Here is my JH5 review with comparisons to top tier universals if your interested.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526436/and-he-walked-away-with-a-smile-a-jh5-review

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, I remolded my TF10 and added a driver to it and I felt that it has improved the sound signiture overall. The bass has increased and hits harder, especially the deep bass. The mids are much more forward now and the highs still has the TF10 sparkle however its a bit sibilant now. I dont regret my choice one bit.

Dec 30, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 5
To be fair, my only personal comparison is between the TF10 and the JH16, but the difference is astounding. The cliché phrase here is that I rediscovered my music, but that's exactly what happened.

Reading SolidSnake's review of the JH5, I believe that there will also be a significant increase in quality stepping from the TF10 to JH5.

I don't think that reshells can increase sound quality to such a degree, especially considering that the drivers were specifically tuned and matched to a particular set of universal housings. If you choose to add drivers, then with the cost involved you're better off going for the entry-level customs in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back