Unique Melody Newest Flagship-- Mason Fabled Sound Special Edition/Mason Fusang CIEM&UIEM
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #781 of 1,311
The main genres I found Mason to not be that good with were rap and EDM mainly due to the bass and how I personally expect bass to sound within those genres. With that said, it’ll do them both well enough. There are iems out there that can do both genres significantly better but if you keep that type of mindset you’ll never settle for anything, lol.
“You will never settle for anything” - a famous quote from @aaf evo. :smirk:

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #783 of 1,311
Anyone using R8 with Fusang? How's the pairing?

Also, would it be a smart idea to use Fusang as a daily driver? I plan to sell all my gear and keep one iem for now.

And another, which genre of music does the Fusang not go well with?

I believe @SeeSax was using R8 with Fusang. He and other users have some excellent reviews on their use of FS/Fusang and the music they enjoy with this IEM.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/unique-melody-mason-fabled-sound-special-edition.25094/reviews

For me, personally, FS is my daily driver. Are you in the US? If so, I recommend reaching out to @MusicTeck to request a demo unit.

Yep, I found R8 to be a nice pairing with Mason FS. R8 was pretty reference in signature, but not a thin sound and notes had weight to them. I thought it worked well. My preferred pairing is always my desktop setup (Ifi iDSD Pro) on tube mode, but recently I got the SP2k and N6ii Ti. I guess I'm not very helpful in saying that they've all been great with Mason FS. It's a difficult IEM to drive, so noise isn't an issue with most sources. Each DAP/DAC changes the synergy a bit, but I haven't come across anything bad per se. My S1 dongle even sounded okay, but a little less life and character given the power deficiencies.

As for genres, well, it's not a bass monster so I don't use it for EDM as @aaf evo said. To me, where it shines is in band-based music and vocal-centric stuff. It's a very natural and highly-detailed sound. I prefer it to Traillii (just had to throw that out there to set the internet on fire).

Also, worth noting, I absolutely LOVE it with the Eletech Aeneid cable. Comfort, for me, is highly improved over the stock cable. I suppose I could have saved $2 grand and just got the FuSang without the Attila in that sense :)

1626379086916.png

-Collin-

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #784 of 1,311
Yep, I found R8 to be a nice pairing with Mason FS. R8 was pretty reference in signature, but not a thin sound and notes had weight to them. I thought it worked well. My preferred pairing is always my desktop setup (Ifi iDSD Pro) on tube mode, but recently I got the SP2k and N6ii Ti. I guess I'm not very helpful in saying that they've all been great with Mason FS. It's a difficult IEM to drive, so noise isn't an issue with most sources. Each DAP/DAC changes the synergy a bit, but I haven't come across anything bad per se. My S1 dongle even sounded okay, but a little less life and character given the power deficiencies.

As for genres, well, it's not a bass monster so I don't use it for EDM as @aaf evo said. To me, where it shines is in band-based music and vocal-centric stuff. It's a very natural and highly-detailed sound. I prefer it to Traillii (just had to throw that out there to set the internet on fire).

Also, worth noting, I absolutely LOVE it with the Eletech Aeneid cable. Comfort, for me, is highly improved over the stock cable. I suppose I could have saved $2 grand and just got the FuSang without the Attila in that sense :)

1626379086916.png

-Collin-
Thanks for this! I do have the BX2 plus amp incase it needs more juice to drive!

I do listen to EDM but not that often at home, more so in the gym so that shouldn't be an issue. How's it with rock, metal and classical?

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #785 of 1,311
Thanks for this! I do have the BX2 plus amp incase it needs more juice to drive!

I do listen to EDM but not that often at home, more so in the gym so that shouldn't be an issue. How's it with rock, metal and classical?
Seems pretty good with rock and metal. If you search within the thread you will see some very positive impressions from several users on this.

I personally enjoy it with classical music, especially with piano solo, violin, and cello.

Jul 15, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #787 of 1,311
Anyone using R8 with Fusang? How's the pairing?

Also, would it be a smart idea to use Fusang as a daily driver? I plan to sell all my gear and keep one iem for now.

And another, which genre of music does the Fusang not go well with?
A little secret, the designer/ engineer behind Mason--Mr.Li is also using R8 as one of his main reference. I can recommend this combo with confidence.

For music genres, the Mason line is pretty consistent, it’s natural, unbiased but not cold or thin as some "reference monitors". So, the quality and the nature of Mason has set up the standard, it is a very versatile IEMs, I would say it is at least 7 out of 10 for all music genres you feed to them. But I also agree with Collin, Mason works like a magic with acoustic/ bands music (including rocks and metals with distortions) and vocals. It leans more towards those naturally recorded music than program-heavy music. For those genres I am very confident in Mason, it is certainly one for best if not the best.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #788 of 1,311
A little secret, the designer/ engineer behind Mason--Mr.Li is also using R8 as one of his main reference. I can recommend this combo with confidence.

For music genres, the Mason line is pretty consistent, it’s natural, unbiased but not cold or thin as some "reference monitors". So, the quality and the nature of Mason has set up the standard, it is a very versatile IEMs, I would say it is at least 7 out of 10 for all music genres you feed to them. But I also agree with Collin, Mason works like a magic with acoustic/ bands music (including rocks and metals with distortions) and vocals. It leans more towards those naturally recorded music than program-heavy music. For those genres I am very confident in Mason, it is certainly one for best if not the best.
I have not heard better match for metal in since I started listening to it in 1992. It has so much weight to the sound that makes it almost physical. It does not pair best with warm sources and requires smallest possible eartip you can find that makes good seal. Don't tick last two boxes and bass gets out of control. Do and you get experience on pair with good set of speakers. I suggest trying FS with some action-packed movie. It is mind-blowing.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #790 of 1,311
Is there a reason to upgrade the stock cable on Fusang?
I think the stock Purple Charm sounds very detailed and textured, which for me is its most defining characteristic. It does sound on the dry and light side, almost like a dry beer, but also clean and crisp. Overall it's not a bad thing and I found myself quite enjoy it.

My experience with cable rolling tells me that often one gives a lark to catch a kite. In many cases I find aftermarket cables improve some areas but change the default signiture too much for my liking. So I only buy a cable if either I can demo it, or I am familiar with the typical sound of its materials.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #791 of 1,311
Received my Mira 4w from Nightjar Acoustics today to pair with FuSang. Sounds gorgeous.

It's past 4am and I can't stop listening.

20210717_040019.jpg
Congrats and welcome to the club! Which dap are you using? Can’t really tell from the pic. :)

Jul 16, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #793 of 1,311
I have not heard better match for metal in since I started listening to it in 1992. It has so much weight to the sound that makes it almost physical. It does not pair best with warm sources and requires smallest possible eartip you can find that makes good seal. Don't tick last two boxes and bass gets out of control. Do and you get experience on pair with good set of speakers. I suggest trying FS with some action-packed movie. It is mind-blowing.
Second secret. Me myself used to be a metal drummer. I started with hard rock then metalcore and thrash metal, I played around 10 years. As long as I am still with the UM, and I can receive the prototypes from Mr.Li I will persuade him to tune the headphones to be capable for metals.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jul 16, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #794 of 1,311
Second secret. Me myself used to be a metal drummer. I started with hard rock then metalcore and thrash metal, I played around 10 years. As long as I am still with the UM, and I can receive the prototypes from Mr.Li I will persuade him to tune the headphones to be capable for metals.
The best news this week :wink: I always felt that metal was always fairly challenging to tune to, especially for longer sessions, as it can be fatiguing. The fact that many (good) albums did not benefit from skillful mixing and mastering does not help in many cases (yes, you, pagan black metal producers). FuSang will not make early Mayhem sound good but it will amplify and deliver the emotion in buckets making it an emotional experience. There is not much more you could ask for really.

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #795 of 1,311

Curious to hear what you were in to playing.
Are you on any recordings we could hear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back