Unique Melody MEXT Announcement and Impression Thread
May 6, 2022 at 8:56 PM Post #200 of 297
Just receive my MEXT. Everyone I’ve heard talk about the MEXT speak of a smooth or even at time recessed treble but I’m hearing an aggressive peak somewhere which is annoying. Perhaps this will settle with burn in but I’m sort of astonished nobody has mentioned this at least from the reviews I’ve read on head-fi.
Out of the box noticed harsh treble. I wasn't sure of my sensitivity at the time, so gave it 30 hours and it's fine now and getting better. My daily driver and that's saying something as I couldn't tolerate Mest1 in the mornings but this one is great.

May 7, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #201 of 297
Anyway, Have been listening to them for a few days now. I have to admit these are pretty special. Like many wrote before me, the bass is just amazing, but not a bass-head IEMs. It's just of great quality. Detail retrieval across the spectrum seems excellent, I am hearing things that I've never heard before. The shells are big but I find them extremely comfortable. The passive isolation is unreal, second only to the Shure SE series.
I might have found the perfect IEM for my taste (mostly jazz, old rock, blues and funk).
I keep listening to my collection expecting to find something off, but I haven't picked up anything wrong so far.

May be end game for me?
I am in denial

May 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #202 of 297
Anyway, Have been listening to them for a few days now. I have to admit these are pretty special. Like many wrote before me, the bass is just amazing, but not a bass-head IEMs. It's just of great quality. Detail retrieval across the spectrum seems excellent, I am hearing things that I've never heard before. The shells are big but I find them extremely comfortable. The passive isolation is unreal, second only to the Shure SE series.
I might have found the perfect IEM for my taste (mostly jazz, old rock, blues and funk).
I keep listening to my collection expecting to find something off, but I haven't picked up anything wrong so far.

May be end game for me?
I am in denial
We seem to have the same conclusions and the same library! MEXT is a brilliant IEM, well executed across the spectrum.

May 17, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #203 of 297
I’ll reformulate my thoughts regarding the treble. I do still find the presentation aggressive on the MEXT. Reason being the treble to my ears is much louder than the mids. I’m always pushing the volume up to get more of the mids but inevitably because they’re recessed all I’m doing is pushing the treble to the forefront. It’s not that the treble has a peak but the way it’s mixed is such that it’s brighter and more in your face than the mids. I would of preferred more mids and less treble. When ppl talk about the treble being too smooth or even subdued it’s more about the lack of extension or air which gives a natural quality - this I think is not referring to the presentation which is actually V shaped. The treble is obviously pushed further forward and is louder and clearer than the mids which can sometimes have a hazy quality, lacking micro detail and slightly on the thin side. Mids could use a bit more natural warmth.

The treble to my ears has a sizzle quality which although isn’t harsh it does have an uneven course quality. It’s not as refined as I wish it was. Likewise the bass trades speed and texture for impact and extension. I guess you can’t have it all.

Overall for what I paid I feel a bit let down coming from the Shure 846 which is certainly more refined across the board with bass delivery that can compete with MEXT not to mention more comfortable and a few hundred dollars cheaper and the 846 came out almost a decade ago.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #205 of 297
The 846 is the opposite of thin. It is a warm / dark iem. The treble and mid range is smooth, detailed. The mid range is even forward in the mix and sits ahead of the treble. The MEXT upper treble is too hot and pronounced.

Listen to some house or drum bass using the MEXT and tell me how you hear the treble? Would you describe it as smooth because I certainly wouldn’t. I would describe it as aggressive.

May 26, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #207 of 297
The 846 is the opposite of thin. It is a warm / dark iem. The treble and mid range is smooth, detailed. The mid range is even forward in the mix and sits ahead of the treble. The MEXT upper treble is too hot and pronounced.

Listen to some house or drum bass using the MEXT and tell me how you hear the treble? Would you describe it as smooth because I certainly wouldn’t. I would describe it as aggressive.
Wow, that's amazing just demonstrates that we all hear differently, which makes sense as we're all different ages and have all done (or not done) different thing to and with our ears. My days of sticking my head into the concert stacks at Ted Nugent, Molly Hatchet and Zeppelin Concerts is over as it riding around on a Harley without hearing protection.

May 28, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #209 of 297
Anybody had a chance to compare this with the 64 audio trio? . The driver configuration in the trio is simpler and it doesn't have the BC driver, but given how much attention 64 audio got recently it is a comparison worth doing if someone has access to both sets

Trio is noticeable few levels above mext in term of detail, soundstage, speed and extension both low freq +high freq section.

They both produce different character though. Mext has sweeter tone, with rather thicker than neutral of bass and midrange. Trio (with 64 audio foam tips), while produce punchy and full body bass, but also closer to neutral in tone (less sweet), with more laidback midrange, and more treble energy (more aggressive).

Hemm, I never had any problem from mext treble, even for pop songs from Spotify. Mest2 while also smooth, i can understand if some person complain about them. however mext for me is really smooth on treble section. Something like Acoustune 1677, Meze Advar, Sennheiser IE800, or 64 Duo would produce brighter treble.

May 29, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #210 of 297
Trio is noticeable few levels above mext in term of detail, soundstage, speed and extension both low freq +high freq section.

They both produce different character though. Mext has sweeter tone, with rather thicker than neutral of bass and midrange. Trio (with 64 audio foam tips), while produce punchy and full body bass, but also closer to neutral in tone (less sweet), with more laidback midrange, and more treble energy (more aggressive).

Hemm, I never had any problem from mext treble, even for pop songs from Spotify. Mest2 while also smooth, i can understand if some person complain about them. however mext for me is really smooth on treble section. Something like Acoustune 1677, Meze Advar, Sennheiser IE800, or 64 Duo would produce brighter treble.
Thanks for your impressions mate. Just looking at the graph, It would seem that the mids should be a little more laid back in the mext, they are less wonky. Bass wise, the mext do appear to have a clearer transition between bass and lower mids.
I do appreciate graphs don't tell the whole story, but just based on this MEXT should be more balanced really.
In terms of detailing obviously I should listen to them.
The reason I am asking is that I might be able to put my hands on a second hand trio fairly priced, but I am wondering if having MEXT (that i quite enjoy) that would be a sensible investment in money and time. Surely I could re-sell the trio rather quickly but I genuinely wonder if it's worth the hassle.

Anyway thanks again for sharing your thoughts

Attachments

• graph.png
    graph.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back