Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jul 7, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #271 of 7,306
@Ultrainferno You reviewed UM Mason V3+ few months ago. Do you still have this since it was a custom? I would be really interested to hear your impressions of Mason relative to MEST.

MEST is my first UM and I am impressed. Naturally, I got an upgrade-itch to explore UM offerings and wonder what you would get going to Mason V3+. I think your service would be greatly appreciated by all parties if you could give us an idea of UM lineup. UM doesn't get talked about as much as, say, CFA, so your reviews and someone like @Layman1 are IMHO very valuable.

Putting price aside, I'm guessing MEST does some things really well/better while Mason providing a better total package (but sacrifice, or just different in, some areas).

I do have it yes, it's in storage but I have some holidays next week so I can compare them then for you.
The two are quite different actually

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #272 of 7,306
I'd like to know what the stock cable is made of... Have you ever tried the Leo? It's rather phenomenal...

No, I have not heard Leo. MEST cable looks similar to Mason V3 cable. Top page of this thread states 4 cords SPC... and it does sound like an SPC, maybe a touch of warmth than other SPC out there.

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #273 of 7,306
I actually asked Andrew at MusicTeck about that on another UM item and he said that the review samples are shipped with the adapters but not in the regular retail package. My MEST did not include adapters. The reviews should probably clarify this point to avoid confusion.
Hi, we would have adapters for custom orders if required. We don't include adapters in the regular retail package.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jul 7, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #274 of 7,306
@Ultrainferno You reviewed UM Mason V3+ few months ago. Do you still have this since it was a custom? I would be really interested to hear your impressions of Mason relative to MEST.

MEST is my first UM and I am impressed. Naturally, I got an upgrade-itch to explore UM offerings and wonder what you would get going to Mason V3+. I think your service would be greatly appreciated by all parties if you could give us an idea of UM lineup. UM doesn't get talked about as much as, say, CFA, so your reviews and someone like @Layman1 are IMHO very valuable.

Putting price aside, I'm guessing MEST does some things really well/better while Mason providing a better total package (but sacrifice, or just different in, some areas).
Sorry, I didn't show up very often these days.
For the questions, I would say Mason V3+ has better resolution, sounds fuller and closer to the "reference tuning". We also added a little extra warmth to the mid-bass and mid-range, so Mason V3+ sounds sweeter and has more emotional sounds compare to the traditional reference tuning. MEST, on the other hand, is slightly more aggressive. We spent some extra time in tuning MEST towards modern genres without affecting the overall balance.
If you do like the slight aggressive/forward sound on the MEST, I think Mentor V3+ is in the same category as MEST. If you prefer a more expansive sound with TOTL level resolution and clarity, Mason V3+ is the way to go.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jul 7, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #275 of 7,306
I've been wavering over the past few weeks/months on whether to sell the MEST. I have smallish ears/canals so I've never been able to get a good fit. I've always enjoyed their sound, but it's always been a compromise due to the discomfort due to the thick (for my ears) nozzles. With all the recent impressions/reviews praising the MEST I decided to make up my mind once and for all whether to keep the MEST. Did a ton of tip rolling with MEST last night and finally settled on the smallest silicone tips I could find. I was finally able to fully insert the IEMs into my ears with most of the shell making contact with my ears, thereby optimizing the bone conduction drivers. Glad I decided to keep these.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #276 of 7,306
Listening to the stock cable...It's not so bad, maybe i was too hard on it...It's rather dynamic, actually...

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #277 of 7,306
Sorry, I didn't show up very often these days.
For the questions, I would say Mason V3+ has better resolution, sounds fuller and closer to the "reference tuning". We also added a little extra warmth to the mid-bass and mid-range, so Mason V3+ sounds sweeter and has more emotional sounds compare to the traditional reference tuning. MEST, on the other hand, is slightly more aggressive. We spent some extra time in tuning MEST towards modern genres without affecting the overall balance.
If you do like the slight aggressive/forward sound on the MEST, I think Mentor V3+ is in the same category as MEST. If you prefer a more expansive sound with TOTL level resolution and clarity, Mason V3+ is the way to go.

Thanks!! I intend to keep MEST so I would be inclined towards a more reference tuning Mason. I hear similar comments from everywhere that I have asked, so I think it will be a matter of time :ksc75smile:

While you are here, is it possible for you to fill us in on two things about MEST
  1. Can you speak to the cable composition/type details? Is it the same material as Mason V3? Copper(dark)/SPC(light) mix?
  2. What type of ear tips are these stock ones with blue core? It seems to do wonders in expanding soundstage.
Thanks in advance!

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #278 of 7,306
Thanks!! I intend to keep MEST so I would be inclined towards a more reference tuning Mason. I hear similar comments from everywhere that I have asked, so I think it will be a matter of time :ksc75smile:

While you are here, is it possible for you to fill us in on two things about MEST
  1. Can you speak to the cable composition/type details? Is it the same material as Mason V3? Copper(dark)/SPC(light) mix?
  2. What type of ear tips are these stock ones with blue core? It seems to do wonders in expanding soundstage.
Thanks in advance!
1. Mason uses a dual-tune cable, one side is pure copper, the other side is SPC, both are 6N 26AWG. MEST uses SPC cable 6N 26 AWG.
2. The silicone tips(blue core) are custom made.

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #279 of 7,306
1. Mason uses a dual-tune cable, one side is pure copper, the other side is SPC, both are 6N 26AWG. MEST uses SPC cable 6N 26 AWG.
2. The silicone tips(blue core) are custom made.

Awesome thanks for the quick response!

Jul 7, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #280 of 7,306
Don't forget that mine is a custom version, but yes, the treble section is excellent and nowhere near hot (for my taste and ears)

I agree with you! After reading here, I also expected the treble to be rather hot - but after listening to the MEST yesterday I don't think so anymore. Actually I compared directly to the Blessing 2 and to my ears the latter sounded clearly sharper in the treble.

Might be in deed very fit and tipp dependent....

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #281 of 7,306
Few updates here:
1. I have just added the general information about Mini MEST on the first page.
2. We have generated lots of feedback from customers and participants. Most of them mentioned that MEST is "tip sensitive" and recommended foam tips which will deliver a smoother impression than silicone tips. The bass performance would have significant improvement after applying foam tips.

Would love to see a single DD driver UIEM from UM one day...

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #282 of 7,306
I got the Leonidas cable with mine, and yes it was an investment, but the Leo takes these to the next level...

How did you order your Leo? Mine is their standard 2-pins but it one side couldn’t fit inside the MEST socket lol.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #283 of 7,306
How did you order your Leo? Mine is their standard 2-pins but it one side couldn’t fit inside the MEST socket lol.
Hmmm mine fits no problem!

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #284 of 7,306
Hmmm mine fits no problem!

Your Leo is the standard 2.5mm 2 pin?
I tried my DHC and Leo II cables and both same issue lol. I tried adding some pressure with the DHC and one of the pin bent to my horror lol. Not going to try anymore especially with such expensive cables...

I seriously hate the stock MEST cable sleeving. So damn stiff...

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #285 of 7,306
Your Leo is the standard 2.5mm 2 pin?
I tried my DHC and Leo II cables and both same issue lol. I tried adding some pressure with the DHC and one of the pin bent to my horror lol. Not going to try anymore especially with such expensive cables...

I seriously hate the stock MEST cable sleeving. So damn stiff...
Ya, I don't know what to tell you...normal, new, Leonidas cable...I just push it in, works fine!

20200708_051822.jpg
20200708_051931_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back