Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jul 23, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #301 of 7,306
Thanks, and l understand and am aware of these differences, but in my experience transducer type matters much less than their implementation and overall sound signature goal of the designer(s), so l don't rely on the contrast between them too much when chosing gear.

There is a general sound signature to certain transducers, yes, but at the more hi-fi level this matters less, it disappears more, despite all the marketing hype (often uncritically parroted by reviewers) of different technology.

It's analogous to how some solid state amps sound "tube-like" and vice versa.

Of course, my experience is largely with speakers so l'm not sure if this holds as true with IEM's.

The research continues! :L3000:
Well, I disagree, but good luck in your search!

Jul 23, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #302 of 7,306
Jul 23, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #303 of 7,306
Im a little torn after reading amazing reviews for these. Im in the market for a new IEM, I have my eyes on either the Moondrop S8, Shozy Pola39, and now this beauty (wide-ish price range, i know)! Unsure on which one to buy, it will likely be a blind purchase.

Granted they all offer something slightly different, im inclined to say the S8 and Mest are more similar.

I am fairly easy with my sound preference from iems since i listen to a range of different generes. Sonically id say im very slightly biased towards the low end, rather than bright/shiny highs/trebles which my ears can be a bit sensitive to.

Any help on my indecisiveness would be appreciated!

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #304 of 7,306
Im a little torn after reading amazing reviews for these. Im in the market for a new IEM, I have my eyes on either the Moondrop S8, Shozy Pola39, and now this beauty (wide-ish price range, i know)! Unsure on which one to buy, it will likely be a blind purchase.

Granted they all offer something slightly different, im inclined to say the S8 and Mest are more similar.

I am fairly easy with my sound preference from iems since i listen to a range of different generes. Sonically id say im very slightly biased towards the low end, rather than bright/shiny highs/trebles which my ears can be a bit sensitive to.

Any help on my indecisiveness would be appreciated!

To add, everything will be driven though Qudelix 5K, and i'll likely swap the cable on the S8s

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #305 of 7,306
To add, everything will be driven though Qudelix 5K, and i'll likely swap the cable on the S8s
I would invest in a proper DAP. MEST seems like overkill for a $100 BT device!

Jul 23, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #306 of 7,306
No problem, and thanks!
So your contention is that all 'transducers' sound alike? That speakers do not matter? Seriously? Think about what you just said. Then why not buy a $10 earphone from the coffee shop. It will sound the same as a $3,000 earphone... Really? :grin:

Jul 23, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #307 of 7,306

Haha. Its not too expensive but that DAC is really good :D. great value and it does pump, ill be using USB passthrough mostly anyway rather than BT. Same chips as Fiio BTR5. its my main DAC on the go.

What would you say about the IEMs that im considering? TY in advance

Jul 23, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #308 of 7,306
Haha. Its not too expensive but that DAC is really good :D. great value and it does pump, ill be using USB passthrough mostly anyway rather than BT. Same chips as Fiio BTR5. its my main DAC on the go.

I only know the MEST because I own it, but I will say again, I think your position is misguided. Before you buy TOTL flagship IEMs, I urge you to buy a proper DAP. Your BT source will never do the IEMs justice, so you will never hear their potential by far, and the money you are putting on the IEM (which will be wasted) would be far better served investing in a proper DAP and cable. nuff' said.

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #309 of 7,306
Mest is best with other cable. Auoplied cable is not bad but Dita Oslo and Triton Card as clear light are heaven.....

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #310 of 7,306
Mest is best with other cable. Auoplied cable is not bad but Dita Oslo and Triton Card as clear light are heaven.....
I got Leonidas II...stock cable, SPC is not good to me...

IMG_8261.jpg

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #312 of 7,306

Hi Parth. If this is the first time you are spending more than $600 on any high-end audiophile gear and if you have consciously chosen to spend that big money on an IEM/headphone instead of a high end or even mid-fi DAP, I don't think you are making a mistake. Do go ahead and spend it on an IEM/headphone rather than a DAP, instead of splitting it between a mid-fi DAP and mid-fi IEM of $300 each. Especially in the light of the fact that you already own a Qudelix 5K to use it as a wired USB DAC with phone for daily commute. Qudelix 5K along with BTR5 and Lotoo S1 are terrific DACs and BT receivers for the sub-$200 prices they come in and should drive most high end IEMs to at least 90% of their peak potential. You can always direct your next future big spend after this one towards a $600+ DAP. By which time you can get near ToTL quality from most $800-$1000 DAPs. Even a cheap $400 Mojo (Like New) or a $600 FiiO M11Pro or HiBy R6 Pro should give you enough satisfaction and absolutely no reason to spend $1000 on DAP when you have already spent $1200 on a MEST or $600+ on a QDC/Moondrop with the budget constraints you seem to be working within. Phones and default cheap DAP are consistently getting better below $400 range and AptX HD Bluetooth and LDAC are getting close enough to wired connection. Do go ahead and spend your first and biggest spend on your first ToTL IEM/headphone.

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #313 of 7,306
Hi Parth. If this is the first time you are spending more than $600 on any high-end audiophile gear and if you have consciously chosen to spend that big money on an IEM/headphone instead of a high end or even mid-fi DAP, I don't think you are making a mistake. Do go ahead and spend it on an IEM/headphone rather than a DAP, instead of splitting it between a mid-fi DAP and mid-fi IEM of $300 each. Especially in the light of the fact that you already own a Qudelix 5K to use it as a wired USB DAC with phone for daily commute. Qudelix 5K along with BTR5 and Lotoo S1 are terrific DACs and BT receivers for the sub-$200 prices they come in and should drive most high end IEMs to at least 90% of their peak potential. You can always direct your next future big spend after this one towards a $600+ DAP. By which time you can get near ToTL quality from most $800-$1000 DAPs. Even a cheap $400 Mojo (Like New) or a $600 FiiO M11Pro or HiBy R6 Pro should give you enough satisfaction and absolutely no reason to spend $1000 on DAP when you have already spent $1200 on a MEST or $600+ on a QDC/Moondrop with the budget constraints you seem to be working within. Phones and default cheap DAP are consistently getting better below $400 range and AptX HD Bluetooth and LDAC are getting close enough to wired connection. Do go ahead and spend your first and biggest spend on your first ToTL IEM/headphone.

Hey Facta - thanks for the response, it will be the first time spending that much on iems for sure, my previous purchases have included Etymotic ER4 and AKG N40 which I have owned for a while now. MEST/QDC/Moondrop are on my list of condenters for the next step up. It's a shame there isnt too much information on the S8s, but from the limit reviews and impressions available - they appear to be a terrific purchase for an all BA iem.

As you mentioned Qudelix 5K DAC/AMP is already a good (enough) source, and ill likely be running them 2.5mm balanced, i can't see drivability really being an issue (4V available on balanced). Though granted, a DAP purchase is on the cardsat someone point for sure.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #314 of 7,306
Hey Facta - thanks for the response, it will be the first time spending that much on iems for sure, my previous purchases have included Etymotic ER4 and AKG N40 which I have owned for a while now. MEST/QDC/Moondrop are on my list of condenters for the next step up. It's a shame there isnt too much information on the S8s, but from the limit reviews and impressions available - they appear to be a terrific purchase for an all BA iem.

As you mentioned Qudelix 5K DAC/AMP is already a good (enough) source, and ill likely be running them 2.5mm balanced, i can't see drivability really being an issue (4V available on balanced). Though granted, a DAP purchase is on the cardsat someone point for sure.

These three links among many could help in your search for a high-end IEM:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...dio-discussion.826876/page-1560#post-15756355

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/crinacles-iem-ranking-list.857498/page-197

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/

Aug 1, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #315 of 7,306
Has anyone here heard both the standard MEST and the Japanese double-vented version? I have both the Japanese market MEST - which I adore - and the Mini Mest, which is good, but I do miss the DD bass on its big brother, but I've never heard the original MEST and wondered how different to mine it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back