Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
May 4, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #421 of 850
my ciem mentor is finally here....less than a month of waiting time :D i sent it 6th apr and got a call from the shop that my mentor is here at 1st May....

the build is totally awesome..fit is perfect! no discomfort and perfect seal! the sound for 1st hour with my mentor is totally like what i have auditioned for the universal fit but i think it more more better due to the perfect seal...

will make a review soon for it once i have time..

May 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #423 of 850
  my ciem mentor is finally here....less than a month of waiting time :D i sent it 6th apr and got a call from the shop that my mentor is here at 1st May....

the build is totally awesome..fit is perfect! no discomfort and perfect seal! the sound for 1st hour with my mentor is totally like what i have auditioned for the universal fit but i think it more more better due to the perfect seal...

will make a review soon for it once i have time..

Looks very nice. I'am curious about how it is tuned. Looking forward to your reivew.

May 4, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #424 of 850
Haha I am glad to hear you likes them.
I find their real beauty to be that they seem to be a genre master. They just sound great with just about anything.
Of course it's horses for courses. My Merlin's did edm better but the mentors are better for EVERYTHING else

Hi, i would like to know how you find the bass of mentor, is it deep and controlled just like Merlin?

The mentor is just $400 more in my local store than the merlin and i just ordered a merlin?
Shall i pay $400 more for the mentor or stay with the merlin?
I really like the sound stage of merlin and bass of it, please advice!

May 4, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #425 of 850

Hi, i would like to know how you find the bass of mentor, is it deep and controlled just like Merlin?

The mentor is just $400 more in my local store than the merlin and i just ordered a merlin?
Shall i pay $400 more for the mentor or stay with the merlin?
I really like the sound stage of merlin and bass of it, please advice!

Hey there,

I find the bass of the Mentor to be as controlled as the Merlin, however by comparison it lacks the bass impact of the Merlin.
The Merlin has that jaw bruising thump, where as the Mentors are a step down from that.
I find the Mentors represent the bass in a way I personally prefer however.

In regards to sound stage, the Merlin to me, due to its v shaped sound sig, sounds more airy than the Mentor and the Merlins Hybrid design really does shine for this sense of space also.

However I find the Mentor to have better separation and placement.

To be honest I find the mentor better in every regard :)  Hence I bought them hahah.  I really love the ample/quality bass, treble extension, smooth sound and those thick mids.

However in saying that, the Merlin is the best refined bass head IEM/Headphone I have heard.

Actually I lied, the TH900/LCD series are better, but thats a different market.

IMO if you love the Merlin, get the Merlin :)

But if you can listen to the Mentor pre-purchase, do so.

Soprry that probably doesn thelp you at all :p

Basically if the LCD2 and Miracle had a forbidden love child, it would be the Mentor :)

May 5, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #427 of 850
Hey there,

I find the bass of the Mentor to be as controlled as the Merlin, however by comparison it lacks the bass impact of the Merlin.
The Merlin has that jaw bruising thump, where as the Mentors are a step down from that.
I find the Mentors represent the bass in a way I personally prefer however.

In regards to sound stage, the Merlin to me, due to its v shaped sound sig, sounds more airy than the Mentor and the Merlins Hybrid design really does shine for this sense of space also.

However I find the Mentor to have better separation and placement.

To be honest I find the mentor better in every regard :)  Hence I bought them hahah.  I really love the ample/quality bass, treble extension, smooth sound and those thick mids.

However in saying that, the Merlin is the best refined bass head IEM/Headphone I have heard.

Actually I lied, the TH900/LCD series are better, but thats a different market.

IMO if you love the Merlin, get the Merlin :)

But if you can listen to the Mentor pre-purchase, do so.

Soprry that probably doesn thelp you at all :p

Basically if the LCD2 and Miracle had a forbidden love child, it would be the Mentor :)

The thick mid seems attracting, as I find the Merlin and mentor as are quite similar in the Fr chart, they are almost the same shape after the 1k line but the bass of Merlin is higher than mentor by 1 block.
IMO the bass of mentor seems even more than my hd600, which I find satisfying.
Do you think you're are involved as much in mentor as in Merlin?
I find the miracle bass-ness, does the mentor improve that much?

May 5, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #428 of 850
Tried Monster Supertips for my Universals right now... The sound went thin and have this pipe/tube echoey sound that I dislike (tried the gel didn't touched even the foam after my experience).

Anybody has luck with other aftermarket eartips that I can buy in the net? Comply?

Sent thru my Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 ed.) using Tapatalk Pro

May 5, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #429 of 850
Comply does miss with the Treble, not a good idea, so the gel and foam supertips didn't work for you? 

May 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #430 of 850
Tried the gel, in my experience, it narrowed/thinned the sound. Like a I'm hearing thru a pipe. It's not that evident. But it's there. Maybe because of its narrow canal? Will give a try the foam later just for the benefit of the doubt.

They're well made however.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk Pro

May 5, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #431 of 850
I quite like the stock silicone tips.
Nice large bore so the sound is fairly direct.
Though my ears do get a little sore on extended listens.

Always up for options.

I did try foam for a while (the ones that come with them) but they tamed them too much.  They were more comfy than silicone but yeah I wasnt a fan of what they did to the sig.

Also I use silicone for work as people are forever asking questions and I the foam is just too much work popping in andout all the time.

May 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #432 of 850
Yep I agree on what you said Wyd. So far the stock silicone tips for me.
So far no Geek Out yet... Hoping this week

May 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #433 of 850
I recently used double flanges. They came with the FT!334s and they sounded better than any others I've tried. The seal is so important. When you have your tips in, move them around a bit to see if the sound changes for the better.
The problem with the double flanges is the really make my ears itchy. Anyone else experience this?

May 6, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #435 of 850
  I recently used double flanges. They came with the FT!334s and they sounded better than any others I've tried. The seal is so important. When you have your tips in, move them around a bit to see if the sound changes for the better.
The problem with the double flanges is the really make my ears itchy. Anyone else experience this?

Yes I had this problem with the triples I got with my old ASG's.

Might try the doubles with the Mentors if I can track some down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back