Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Aug 4, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #797 of 926
Yah, some people have reported that issue with Null.  You might consider a different dealer unless you are looking for some other product they sell (like their custom cables).

-john

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #798 of 926
personally im unimpressed by the inconsistencies in driver placement within the mould itself.

check out the picture on page 8 , post 114.

low range drivers are obviously askew.

i realise they can not be perfectly symmetrical, athough some degree of tolerances could be adhered to from pair to pair. 

alot of the sets are noticeably off, though that was an extreme example.

nonetheless, enjoy what im sure sounds fantastic and seems to be amazing bang for buck :wink:

regards, marty.

Aug 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #799 of 926
Marty:

Driver placement inside custom in-ears is a science.  They may not always be symmetrical or perfect.  Driver placement in the shell and positioning of tubes, filters, etc. is dependent on the individual's ear anatomy.  Positioning drivers and filters a certain way to give a precise, pre-determined frequency response at the ear canal is important and part of what makes good custom in-ears worth every penny.

This is a situation where function takes precedence over form. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #800 of 926
I looking to get my first customs iem and currently have enough budget for Mage or jh5pro.
currently using eterna v1 on go and MS1000 at home.
i just want to ask if the bass of Mage comparable to the bass of MS1 or MS1000?

Aug 12, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #801 of 926
While researching IEM's for myself, I contacted Sam at UM to find out current price if ordered directly from him (since the Mage isn't even on their web page yet).  He reseponded immediately with $634 including 2-day return shipping, but he also offered a group buy opportunity if there's enough interest here.  $549 for the same package with a minimum order quantity of 10.

I posted the group buy information here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/506960/group-buy-um-mage-iem-549

I'll just be gathering names of those interested and sending them to Sam (once there's at least 10 people) so he can adjust the price when the order is placed.

Aug 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #803 of 926
I'm very curious about the Mage but have doubts that it will have enough bass for my taste.  There are some good reviews available, but the one I most recently read, from headphonia, kind of confused me as it seemed thorough and well written, but seemed to run contrary on some of the conventional opinions I'd read here in trying to form an outside impression. 

The headphonia review is very flattering to the Mage.  I was conscious to note the dates at which the reviewer got the gear that he was reviewing, as it seemed like after the recent JH shootout he would place them firmly behind the JH10X3 even though he compares them favourably to JH13pro universals in his earlier reviews.  Also, some of his comments about it's sound signature were seemingly inconsistent, saying that it had a flat treble and bass response when it seems Sam has confirmed that neither is the case.  I wondered if he meant psychoacoustically at-the-ear neutral because his point of reference is quite a pedigree of high end monitors. It's hard not to take notice of someone who has a lot of top end equipment and is speaking so highly of them. 

This is a classic situation of me getting tempted out of my preferred sound signature because of a phone that seems so close to ideal in most of my other criteria.  I listen to a lot of prog rock and other genres that benefit from a solid low end foundation. 

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #804 of 926
So considering that the Mage is thought to be not too punchy on the bass side (and hence no good for a bass head like me), has anyone tried to get UM to tune theirs to have more punch? How did that work out (that 550USD deal sure is tempting but if the bass is anything like on the Head-Direct line up, I'd waste 550 instead of 100$ this time...)?

Aug 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #806 of 926
Yeah I guess it boils down to JH... Problem is: I can sort of justify 550USD (that is in the vicinity of a really good deal on a pair of D7000 which I considered before) but I have a really hard time convincing myself that I want to spend 1100USD+ for a JH13 or even JH16 (even though I could easily afford it if I figured I really want it...)

Or maybe I should wait until January - if all goes as planned, I'll be in Singapore then and I'll definitely spend some time at Jaben then :)

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #808 of 926
With that one I would eternally wonder if spending 200/250 (JH16 sounds more like my cup of coffee vs the JH13) more would have gotten me significantly better performance :) (we all know how it is). I think I will also wait for a few UM Miracle impressions to surface...

Aug 15, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #809 of 926

Quote:
I'm very curious about the Mage but have doubts that it will have enough bass for my taste.  There are some good reviews available, but the one I most recently read, from headphonia, kind of confused me as it seemed thorough and well written, but seemed to run contrary on some of the conventional opinions I'd read here in trying to form an outside impression. 

The headphonia review is very flattering to the Mage.  I was conscious to note the dates at which the reviewer got the gear that he was reviewing, as it seemed like after the recent JH shootout he would place them firmly behind the JH10X3 even though he compares them favourably to JH13pro universals in his earlier reviews.  Also, some of his comments about it's sound signature were seemingly inconsistent, saying that it had a flat treble and bass response when it seems Sam has confirmed that neither is the case.  I wondered if he meant psychoacoustically at-the-ear neutral because his point of reference is quite a pedigree of high end monitors. It's hard not to take notice of someone who has a lot of top end equipment and is speaking so highly of them. 

This is a classic situation of me getting tempted out of my preferred sound signature because of a phone that seems so close to ideal in most of my other criteria.  I listen to a lot of prog rock and other genres that benefit from a solid low end foundation. 

You want Bass? Check out the Rooth LS8s. Now there's some bass for ya!

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #810 of 926
Would you have any link for the Rooth LS8? I can only seem to find some very high level description on headfonia...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back