Unique Melody legacy - Latest Flagship 12BA CIEM
Oct 12, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 43

Going to buy the Legacy?

If only I could find 2000 dollars somewhere....
tongue.gif
....probs just going to try it out.

Would be great if we could get a tour going!

Oct 12, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #18 of 43
In terms of sound presentation, the Legacy is in between the Miracle and the Mentor. The Legacy is flatter than the Mentor with slightly less bass quantity, less recessed mids and equally prominent treble. It is still a warmer IEM than the Miracle, but in direct comparison with the Mentor, it comes off as being ever so slightly brighter with equally powerful vocal performance. In terms of genres, I preferred the Mentor with dance tracks and 80s/90s rock, whilst the pop tracks I tested sounded a bit more engaging on the Legacy.

Both are actually a hair within each other, and at this price range, it's going to be hard to split both. I would definitely like to audition the Legacy again, and will post more impressions when I do so.

Thanks for the comparison mate :) Regading the price it should be a better mentor.

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #19 of 43
  If only I could find 2000 dollars somewhere....
tongue.gif
....probs just going to try it out.

Would be great if we could get a tour going!

Heh. Don't we all wish we have $2k lying around. 
wink.gif

Anyway, enjoy your audition! I'll be heading down to Stereo too for a more in-depth comparison (with the Mentor). Might be on Saturday or Sunday next week, though.

Thanks for the comparison mate
smily_headphones1.gif
Regading the price it should be a better mentor.

Hey, no problem. Anyway, I see that you sold your Mentor. If I may ask, what was it about the Mentor that you didn't like?

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #20 of 43
Heh. Don't we all wish we have $2k lying around. :wink:

Anyway, enjoy your audition! I'll be heading down to Stereo too for a more in-depth comparison (with the Mentor). Might be on Saturday or Sunday next week, though.

Hey, no problem. Anyway, I see that you sold your Mentor. If I may ask, what was it about the Mentor that you didn't like?

As I said, Mentor does not have a good body due to its mid bass quantity. It lacks a bit of dynamics. Also, the background darkness is not stable enough regarding the separation. Actually I was enjoying it in spite of its problems, but I sold it to get a Harmony 8 Pro :)

Oct 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #22 of 43
As I said, Mentor does not have a good body due to its mid bass quantity. It lacks a bit of dynamics. Also, the background darkness is not stable enough regarding the separation. Actually I was enjoying it in spite of its problems, but I sold it to get a Harmony 8 Pro
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, I see. For me, coming from bass heavy headphones, I was and am still blown away by the Mentor's bass texture and presentation. Sure, mid-bass quantity could be improved a little, but it really excels in all other areas for me.

Anyway, the introduction of the Maestro and Legacy leads me to believe that UM are actually preparing a universal (worldwide) 12 driver flagship in the near future. Even though these 2 IEMs are region-specific models, it exposes UM's ambition in leading the driver race. Well, who knows? Maybe in the next year?

Oct 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #23 of 43

Ah, I see. For me, coming from bass heavy headphones, I was and am still blown away by the Mentor's bass texture and presentation. Sure, mid-bass quantity could be improved a little, but it really excels in all other areas for me.

Anyway, the introduction of the Maestro and Legacy leads me to believe that UM are actually preparing a universal (worldwide) 12 driver flagship in the near future. Even though these 2 IEMs are region-specific models, it exposes UM's ambition in leading the driver race. Well, who knows? Maybe in the next year?

Is Legacy for Singapore only? At least for now? 

I like Mentor's low end texture and also midbass' detail.. It should be improved without overcoming midrange, in my opinion of course. :)

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #24 of 43

I like Mentor's low end texture and also midbass' detail.. It should be improved without overcoming midrange, in my opinion of course. :)

Seems like it's exclusive to Stereo.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #25 of 43

According to the staff at Stereo, the Legacy is an exclusive collaboration between UM and them. I don't know if it is simply a rebranded Maestro, though, or at least a slightly retuned version.

Oct 26, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #26 of 43
Just went down to stereo to audition the legacy and even though I did not compare it to the mentor I was quite impressed with it.
Overall sound signature is quite dark (liken to the LCD2s) and relatively neutral.
It has a very wide sound stage like the JH 16 with very good instrumental separation. It reminds me of a concert performance.
However, it lacks slightly in terms of sound height and I did hope it had a little more dimension to it.
Bass impact is very tight with very good depth and sufficient quantity (does not overpower mids in any way).
As for its mids/highs, resolution is quite good with no hint of sibilance.
Overall, I think this is quite a strong contender in the world of customs so its definitely worth some consideration.

Nov 1, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #27 of 43
Finally after 4 separate sessions of audition the Legacy vs the Mentor and Noble K10, I pulled the trigger for the Legacy.

The strange thing about the Legacy demo at Stereo is it sound different every week! I'm not sure if its my mood or burn in or what but it just keeps getting better. Managed to get some details from some of the staffs there, firstly the UM Legacy is definitely different sounding with the UM Maestro, the store owner tried them before launching the Legacy although he wasn't sure if that was the final revision to the Maestro. Based on his first impression the Maestro has a slightly more recessed mids and more prominent mid bass,overall warm sounding signature but he didn't had them for long. Secondly, he mentioned that Maestro may only be available in Japan in universal shell while the Legacy is available in both custom and universal. Oh, the Legacy seems harder to drive compared to other IEM i tried like Nobles, Fitear and even UM Mentor, need to crank up like +/-15% more??

Now the wait....
popcorn.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #28 of 43
  Finally after 4 separate sessions of audition the Legacy vs the Mentor and Noble K10, I pulled the trigger for the Legacy.

The strange thing about the Legacy demo at Stereo is it sound different every week! I'm not sure if its my mood or burn in or what but it just keeps getting better. Managed to get some details from some of the staffs there, firstly the UM Legacy is definitely different sounding with the UM Maestro, the store owner tried them before launching the Legacy although he wasn't sure if that was the final revision to the Maestro. Based on his first impression the Maestro has a slightly more recessed mids and more prominent mid bass,overall warm sounding signature but he didn't had them for long. Secondly, he mentioned that Maestro may only be available in Japan in universal shell while the Legacy is available in both custom and universal. Oh, the Legacy seems harder to drive compared to other IEM i tried like Nobles, Fitear and even UM Mentor, need to crank up like +/-15% more??

Now the wait....
popcorn.gif

Nice! Hope you get your Legacy soon.
smile.gif

Btw, how did you find the Legacy compared to the K10? I've auditioned the Legacy before, but not the K10. If you don't mind me asking, what did you prefer in the Legacy in comparison to the K10?

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #29 of 43
I didn't get to audition them side by side but I audition them on the same day so it may not be the most accurate way of comparing. What I like about the K10 is the universal demo set fits me better, due to that I didn't had to fiddle much to get the seal, the Legacy universal took me a while to figure out the best way to wear them and since I was intending to get the custom version, that didn't affect me much. I also like the artworks I see from Nobles, they seem to have more unique designs and Legacy although had quite a handful of choices to choose from were quite "normal" compared to what I've seen on Nobles.

I had a hard time deciding on my first visit because the Legacy's bass was... kinda unstable, the mid bass sounded weaker than I wanted but at the same time on certain double bass tracks sounded more than it should have, it was a pity because the Legacy was ace in the highs and mids dept. But that all change on my 2nd visit, mid bass was full and tight and the lower bass on classical was rumbling just enough to feel the presence of the hall.... and you can imagine how fking confused I was at that moment so I decided to audition a few more times over the next 2 weeks and result was consistent if not better each time. Personally I like the Legacy better than the K10 but its likely a matter of personal preference because the K10 is generally good sounding too except for me the Legacy is much more engaging and musical, with a better balance across freq for the music genres on my playlists.

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #30 of 43
I didn't get to audition them side by side but I audition them on the same day so it may not be the most accurate way of comparing. What I like about the K10 is the universal demo set fits me better, due to that I didn't had to fiddle much to get the seal, the Legacy universal took me a while to figure out the best way to wear them and since I was intending to get the custom version, that didn't affect me much. I also like the artworks I see from Nobles, they seem to have more unique designs and Legacy although had quite a handful of choices to choose from were quite "normal" compared to what I've seen on Nobles.

I had a hard time deciding on my first visit because the Legacy's bass was... kinda unstable, the mid bass sounded weaker than I wanted but at the same time on certain double bass tracks sounded more than it should have, it was a pity because the Legacy was ace in the highs and mids dept. But that all change on my 2nd visit, mid bass was full and tight and the lower bass on classical was rumbling just enough to feel the presence of the hall.... and you can imagine how fking confused I was at that moment so I decided to audition a few more times over the next 2 weeks and result was consistent if not better each time. Personally I like the Legacy better than the K10 but its likely a matter of personal preference because the K10 is generally good sounding too except for me the Legacy is much more engaging and musical, with a better balance across freq for the music genres on my playlists.

Thanks for the comparison!

Now I'm really looking forward to auditioning the K10. I liked the Legacy, but preferred the slightly more exciting signature of the Mentor. It was a minor toss up between the 2. It didn't help that I had already purchased my Mentor 2 weeks before the release of the Legacy. :D

Anyway, I think the Legacy is a solid successor to the Miracle. It presents a full bodied sound with good extensions to both ends without sacrificing on midrange tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back