Unique Melody double/triple hybrid universals announced: UM 2X & 3X Discussion thread.
Jan 25, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #106 of 118
We have one of the 3X models on tour in Australia atm thanks to djvkool.

Here's a link to the tour thread and some photo's I grabbed yesterday. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/700769/unique-melody-3x-universal-triple-hybrid-australian-tour-and-impressions

Jun 10, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #107 of 118
Hi to all! 3X seems quite an interesting model as for me. But I'm afraid about the mentioned peak of the upper-middles, such a thing annoys me greatly in my current T-PEOS H-100, and is one of the reason I'm looking for their substitute. Can anyone say, how significant is this peak in comparison to H-100? Or the general comparison, would it be a step forward in sound, or the same level? The source is Hifiman 601 without any modifications. Maybe someone heard 3X with HM 601, how do they collaborate? Thanks in advance.

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #108 of 118
Hi to all! 3X seems quite an interesting model as for me. But I'm afraid about the mentioned peak of the upper-middles, such a thing annoys me greatly in my current T-PEOS H-100, and is one of the reason I'm looking for their substitute. Can anyone say, how significant is this peak in comparison to H-100? Or the general comparison, would it be a step forward in sound, or the same level? The source is Hifiman 601 without any modifications. Maybe someone heard 3X with HM 601, how do they collaborate? Thanks in advance.

Depending on where you are in the world, unique melody do offer a try and return service.

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #109 of 118

Depending on where you are in the world, unique melody do offer a try and return service.

I'm from Ukraine, I think such service is not available for us. And even if it would be, the shipping cost seem to be rather high. I found an attractive proposal, one man from another city is selling 3X in perfect condition for about a half of MRSP. That is why I want to hear an opinion from the community, - to have some info, if this model can be an upgrade for me, or the sibilance would drive me mad.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #111 of 118
reshelled 3x
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #112 of 118
Hi all,

Just wanted to add my voice to the general chat about these IEMs. I received both the 2X and 3X and have reviewed them for the websites as shown below.

Unique Melody 2X - TechyTalk
Unique Melody 3X - TrustedReviews

In summary, I have very mixed feelings.

Regarding both, they technically offer quite good value for money as you're getting quite a sophisticated IEM and comprehensive selection of accessories. However, I found the build to not be all that impressive, plus they're too big (both the 2X and 3X are the same size and shape) and the resulting fit was not particularly good. This isn't helped by the poor selection of foams tips.

As for the 2X's sound quality, bass response is very strong, perhaps too strong. It can overpower the rest of the mix a little. There's also a harsh spike in the upper-mids/lower-high range which makes cymbals, some vocals, violins and distorted guitars tiring to listen to. Lower mid-range is also a bit lacking and there's a distinct roll off in the upper-most frequencies, making for a fairly flat soundstage. They're a reasonable choice if you want a 'fun' sound that is a little scooped and aren't looking for the utmost in detail.

The picture is much the same with the 3X but here that treble spike is even more prominent, making it an even more fatiguing IEM, at least to my ears. However, the overall impression is of a much tighter IEM. Bass still powers through but feels a tad more controlled than on the 2X. There isn't the same roll off at the top either, so you get a much more spacious, detailed sound. Personally I'd never choose them simply because of that treble spike (heavy metal in particular really suffers) but again if you're after a strong bass response but want that sparkling high-frequency detail these are worth considering.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #113 of 118
This is too bad - as UM hasn't had the same issue with their Merlin. I notice that the X2 & X3 don't show up as available at all the UM websites - so I wonder if it is a trial balloon, or market specific somehow....

Maybe 4BA + 1DD (Merlin) was designed by a different team...

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #114 of 118
  This is too bad - as UM hasn't had the same issue with their Merlin. I notice that the X2 & X3 don't show up as available at all the UM websites - so I wonder if it is a trial balloon, or market specific somehow....

Maybe 4BA + 1DD (Merlin) was designed by a different team...

2X and 3X are only for UK market I think...

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #115 of 118
Yeah, UM hasn't been entirely clear on what's happening with the 2X and 3X. I think it basically comes down to them being a bit of a trial run with limited availability, and as it's a UK company that's where they're making them available. I guess they're still waiting to sell enough, or to get more feedback, before ramping up production (if they ever do).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back